Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: network troubles

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K850i,Sony Ericsson W810i,Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/SYB-1106291585; U; en-US) Presto/2.8.149 Version/11.10)

is anyone having troubles with their phone in north battleford?

Device(s)
    BB 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Physical, software or network troubles?

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Things should get better the week of Oct 3rd. More capacity will be added.

See: http://www.sasktel.com/search/contro...rt?sf2172276=1

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sasktel
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Excellent post. I just wish the tech who tied me up for an hour today had read your post jmasterfunk. Also I wish I would have been on Howardforums before I called Sasktel. lol
    Bluetooth makes EVERYTHING better!!!!!!!!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sasktel
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    No service this morning in Yorkton. I set my Nexus S to "Sasktel R" (Rogers) and the phone connected. I guess Sasktel allowed it to connect because the tower is down as normally I can not connect to Sasktel R in Yorkton.

Feedback Score
    Congestion seems to be an issue for a number of HSPA+ carriers. Tbaytel in Northern Ontario is experiencing the same type of issues on their network leading me to believe this isn't an isolated incident. Makes you wonder why carriers don't design and deploy a proper network in the first place.
    My posts are in no way intended to represent or promote the views of any service provide, dealer or manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwotraveler View Post
    ... Makes you wonder why carriers don't design and deploy a proper network in the first place.
    When the same carriers that built UMTS networks looked at getting them in, they were doing so coming from an older lower frequency spectrum (800MHz band area) to a new deployment (1.9GHz band area). The lower the carrier frequency, the better permeation into structure and better in-building coverage.

In order to get their networks up and rolling, most carriers (see "all") deployed newer equipment atop their previous CDMA deployments (same towers). Towers that were erected based on signal strength in a much lower band - therefore basically too far apart.

This allowed the carriers to deploy their networks quickly and unfortunately this speed left coverage gaps. This is the case everywhere, but carriers are also erecting new towers to provide gap coverage for most places identified.

I believe for SaskTel, the number of auxilliary sites above the "planned deployment numbers" is in the neck of +50. This takes time - but it IS happening.

Funny part is, with LTE coming, they'll be back in the 700Mhz band, meaning better penetration and thereby negating the need for the new sites being erected....

Feedback Score
    Tbaytel is running 800/850 on CDMA and HSPA, however they did launch using ASU.

They're in the process of adding a separate set of antennas and second carrier to up their capacity.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boblablah View Post
    Funny part is, with LTE coming, they'll be back in the 700Mhz band, meaning better penetration and thereby negating the need for the new sites being erected....
    LTE will launch using AWS in Saskatoon/Regina. That's 1700/2100Mhz. So, even though SaskTel will be adding 800Mhz in the cities, those infill sites will still be required for LTE.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K850i,Sony Ericsson W810i,Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/SYB-1106291585; U; en-US) Presto/2.8.149 Version/11.10)

looks like sasktel changed the date for 4g upgrade to north battleford is now the week of oct. 10

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Does anybody know what SaskTel is doing during these 4G network improvements?

I'm just curious to know and find the press releases vague.

I get that it's more capacity, but how?
    And will it permanently solve the issues in Saskatoon when complete?
    Does the fact that they cannot just turn off the CDMA network affect this also?

Thanks to anyone that replies, love the sharing of info on these forums.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by virtuatony View Post
    Does anybody know what SaskTel is doing during these 4G network improvements?

I'm just curious to know and find the press releases vague.

I get that it's more capacity, but how?
    And will it permanently solve the issues in Saskatoon when complete?
    Does the fact that they cannot just turn off the CDMA network affect this also?

Thanks to anyone that replies, love the sharing of info on these forums.
    Adding one or two 1900Mhz carriers to go along side the existing 850Mhz carrier in the areas such as Yorkton/North Battleford/Swift Current. You can determine this by using tech mode your phone.

Since it hasn't happened yet, one could only speculate that in Saskatoon and Regina they would be adding one 850Mhz carriers to go along side the existing three 1900Mhz carriers. That should increase in building coverage. Will it permanently solve the Saskatoon/Regina issues? No. That's going to come with something like forcing bandwidth caps or building more towers closer together. (Unfortunately, finding places for those towers could be a challenge) If you think about it, that's four carriers in an area such as Saskatoon already. And since there's no way even half the people in the province have moved off of CDMA, that means by simply adding carriers, there would have to be something like 6 more carriers added. There just isn't enough spectrum to go around at this point. This is the whole spectrum crunch you hear about. The whole reason why AT&T wants to buy T-Mobile in the States...

Why only one 850Mhz carrier? There's only enough spectrum available in the 850 band for 2 UMTS carriers. Let's simplify and say there's 10Mhz of spectrum. CDMA in the rural areas uses the first 1.25Mhz of 10Mhz. EVDO also uses another 1.25Mhz. In either case, that last 5Mhz was always available for UMTS. In urban areas, 6-8Mhz was being used for CDMA. Now that CDMA usage has gone down, CDMA can be cut down to 4.5Mhz, leaving that last 5Mhz of 10Mhz for use in Saskatoon and Regina.

The only thing that CDMA is blocking access to is one more 850Mhz carrier. Years from now, when CDMA usage gets low enough, there should be a work around to let UMTS use that first 5Mhz.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmasterfunk View Post
    LTE will launch using AWS in Saskatoon/Regina. That's 1700/2100Mhz. So, even though SaskTel will be adding 800Mhz in the cities, those infill sites will still be required for LTE.
    soooooo close, once the AWS spectrum at auction comes up in 2012, everyone will be moving to 700Mhz. If Sasktel doesn't buy 700Mhz, you better check the classifieds for a new job... not starting sh%t, stating the facts.

There will be "less" need for infill sites if they can get the 700MHz sequential blocks so they don't have to add non-contiguous carriers.

(I also enjoy a blue and white paycheque)

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boblablah View Post
    soooooo close, once the AWS spectrum at auction comes up in 2012, everyone will be moving to 700Mhz. If Sasktel doesn't buy 700Mhz, you better check the classifieds for a new job... not starting sh%t, stating the facts.

There will be "less" need for infill sites if they can get the 700MHz sequential blocks so they don't have to add non-contiguous carriers.

(I also enjoy a blue and white paycheque)
    I completely agree. We need spectrum in 700Mhz. I'm pretty sure the right people realize that as well.

Infill is needed. Period. It was needed a year ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    @jmasterfunk & boblablah, thanks for the explanation, it's definitely something I find interesting.

Because of these improvements, I take it DC-HSPA+ in Regina and Saskatoon is effectively cancelled?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast