Thread: Question for Canadians using prepaid to get data in the US (newbie here)

Feedback Score

Question for Canadians using prepaid to get data in the US (newbie here)

im going to be visiting new york and boston for 7 days soon and would like to be able to be connected to the internet on my smartphone (galaxy s captivate unlocked with rogers). im researching what would be the cheapest way for me to get data , obviously roaming on rogers would be stupid.

i read that i can just buy a pre-paid sim card that has data and it should work, and AT&T gophone is one of them. but i'm abit confused and it says i have to top up $25 voice minutes first and then add $15 for 100mb data..? Can i just get the data only ?

Also, are there better / cheaper alternatives for pre-paid data (T-mobile, 7 eleven)?

Is the 100mb data usable when i'm crossing states (no "long distance" roaming data fee)? In canada, it doesn't matter which province you are in for data.

thanks!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Once the funds are in your account, you can use them for any purpose. To insure that the funds are used for mostly data, do not purchase a plan with a fixed voice allowance. Use the $0.10 per minute rate.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    thanks, i kinda get it. so say i refill my account with $15. if i wanted the $15 for 100mb package, so i then go onto my account and "buy" it..?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    As long as you choose the $0.10 per minute voice plan when you setup the account. If you choose one of the other voice plans, you have to have an account balance large enough to purchase it.

You may have to add more than $15.00. Depending upon the state, there may be taxes subtracted from your purchase so that less than $15.00 might be left.

Feedback Score
    thank you for your fast response ! just bought a ATT sim card from amazon, hopefully it works. What is the easiest refill the account in Canada?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    You can buy top-up cards at a slight discount from Callingmart tax-free, and then use the code they send you.

If you have no preference of which area code to activate, pick one with no 911 fees. The list of states with fees is here:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/gophoneE911.jsp

Even though Washington State is the closest to where I live in BC, I activated my (no longer in use) GoPhone card for California because that's where I was first visiting. Turns out that was a good choice due to no extra fee. Same with Oregon which is what I picked for my T-Mobile card.

Are there cheaper options? Well you probably don't want to put your Captivate on T-Mo because you will be stuck with slow EDGE data speeds. AT&T is (along with its MVNOs) the only network with compatible 3G frequencies for your phone.

Feedback Score
    thanks, thats useful information. i'm think Oregon would be a good state to activate for since i believe there is no tax , (and no 911 fees) correct?

o for anyone interested, delaware, new hampshire are other states that have no sales tax nor 911 fees

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Right. In terms of sales tax though - it's charged on the top-up cards themselves. If you buy from Callingmart you don't pay the taxes. Once it's in your account there is no further sales tax.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I placed a couple of orders with Callingmart today and they went trough ok, one small hickup was when they called back to verify the order they used a old contact number no Idea how they got it. But once once verified I had no problems and I will be using them again to refill our US phones on Att&T prepaid
    Rogers Loyalty Package W/4GB Data