Thread: Restriction on VPN over MiFi?

Device(s)
    Inspire
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Restriction on VPN over MiFi?

I am trying to connect to an PPTP/L2TP VPN on a Windows server using a MiFi connection and it's failing, saying
    "The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly. (Error 800) For customized troubleshooting information for this connection, click Help."
    I can connect over teh interwebs from hotels etc, but MiFi won't permit the connection. I can connect with T-Mobile and AT&T so it's not the use of a mobile provider that is the issue either.
    I'm guessing there is a restriction on certain ports for consumers so they can't use VPN connections - has anyone else seen this issue?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a MiFi 2200 on the 1GB (iPad) $20 data plan. Occasionally, I'll connect my work system and launch the Cisco VPN, and it works through the 2200 just fine.
    - acadiel

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dazbert View Post
    I am trying to connect to an PPTP/L2TP VPN on a Windows server using a MiFi connection and it's failing, saying
    "The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly. (Error 800) For customized troubleshooting information for this connection, click Help."
    I can connect over teh interwebs from hotels etc, but MiFi won't permit the connection. I can connect with T-Mobile and AT&T so it's not the use of a mobile provider that is the issue either.
    I'm guessing there is a restriction on certain ports for consumers so they can't use VPN connections - has anyone else seen this issue?
    VPN works fine for me on a MiFi.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What MIFI are you using?
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Device(s)
    Inspire
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Turns out it was bad software on the device. Got another one and all is good.