Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sorry for the outage, here are some free apps!

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score

Sorry for the outage, here are some free apps!

Well, RIM is trying to apologize for the outage.

This "apology" shows how out of touch they still are.

Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) announced today that a selection of premium apps worth a total value of more than US $100 will be offered free of charge to subscribers as an expression of appreciation for their patience during the recent service disruptions. The apps will be made available to customers over the coming weeks on BlackBerry® App World™ and will continue to be available until December 31, 2011.*

“Our global network supports the communications needs of more than 70 million customers,” said RIM Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis. “We truly appreciate and value our relationship with our customers. We’ve worked hard to earn their trust over the past 12 years, and we’re committed to providing the high standard of reliability they expect, today and in the future.”

The complete selection of premium apps will become available to download at BlackBerry App World over a period of four weeks beginning Wednesday, October 19th. The selections over this period will include the following (with more to come):

• SIMS 3 - Electronic Arts
    • Bejeweled - Electronic Arts
    • N.O.V.A. - Gameloft
    • Texas Hold’em Poker 2 - Gameloft
    • Bubble Bash 2 - Gameloft
    • Photo Editor Ultimate - Ice Cold Apps
    • DriveSafe.ly Pro - iSpeech.org
    • iSpeech Translator Pro - iSpeech.org
    • Drive Safe.ly Enterprise - iSpeech.org
    • Nobex Radio™ Premium - Nobex
    • Shazam Encore - Shazam
    • Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant - Vlingo

RIM’s enterprise customers will also be offered one month of free Technical Support. Current customers will be offered a complimentary one month extension of their existing Technical Support contract, and customers who do not currently have a Technical Support contract will be offered a one month trial of RIM’s BlackBerry Technical Support Services - Enhanced Support, free of charge. Additional details about the program and information about how to register will be available at www.blackberry.com/enterpriseoffer.

“We are grateful to our loyal BlackBerry customers for their patience,” added Lazaridis. “We have apologized to our customers and we will work tirelessly to restore their confidence. We are taking immediate and aggressive steps to help prevent something like this from happening again.”
    http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=5214
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    BB Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In a way it makes sense to offer free apps. Granted, I don't have interest in any of those they are offering, and I find it hard to believe their total value is over $100. Anyway, there is really no way to compensate people monetarily as there is no way to quantify anyone's individual loss (if any). No matter how much they offered people would say it's not enough, and issuing the refund would get complicated as they would have to go through every individual cell phone carrier worldwide to figure out who is using a blackberry and provide the refund.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think it is a great gesture. Sure, it doesn't make up for time/money lost over the outage, but at least it shows that they still care somewhat. That list of apps is not complete, however, Vlingo Premium is $20 I believe, so there is a huge chunk right there. I think DriveSafe.ly Premium is $10 or so.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Total is $157 although I don't know what is different between Drive Safe.ly Pro and Enterprise.

• SIMS 3 - Electronic Arts - $3 (2.5 *)
    • Bejeweled - Electronic Arts - $3 (3.5 *)
    • N.O.V.A. - Gameloft - $5 (4 *)
    • Texas Hold’em Poker 2 - Gameloft - $3 (4 *)
    • Bubble Bash 2 - Gameloft - $5 (2.5 *)
    • Photo Editor Ultimate - Ice Cold Apps - $2 (4.5 *)
    • DriveSafe.ly Pro - iSpeech.org - $20 (4.5 *)
    • iSpeech Translator Pro - iSpeech.org - ?
    • Drive Safe.ly Enterprise - iSpeech.org - $80 (unrated)
    • Nobex Radio™ Premium - Nobex - $10 (3 *)
    • Shazam Encore - Shazam - $6 (4.5 *)
    • Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant - Vlingo - $20 (4*)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Total is $157 although I don't know what is different between Drive Safe.ly Pro and Enterprise.

• SIMS 3 - Electronic Arts - $3 (2.5 *)
    • Bejeweled - Electronic Arts - $3 (3.5 *)
    • N.O.V.A. - Gameloft - $5 (4 *)
    • Texas Hold’em Poker 2 - Gameloft - $3 (4 *)
    • Bubble Bash 2 - Gameloft - $5 (2.5 *)
    • Photo Editor Ultimate - Ice Cold Apps - $2 (4.5 *)
    • DriveSafe.ly Pro - iSpeech.org - $20 (4.5 *)
    • iSpeech Translator Pro - iSpeech.org - ?
    • Drive Safe.ly Enterprise - iSpeech.org - $80 (unrated)
    • Nobex Radio™ Premium - Nobex - $10 (3 *)
    • Shazam Encore - Shazam - $6 (4.5 *)
    • Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant - Vlingo - $20 (4*)
    Nice update. Much more useful.

Device(s)
    BB Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That Vlingo app has very poor ratings considering it's $20 price tag. The Drivesafely app sounds like it could be good assuming it automatically reads your texts when each one is received. I don't understand the $10 price tag on Nobex radio. You can get the same thing with the free version of the TuneIn app.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    At one time, I had purchased Vlingo, and it honestly wasn't that bad. I don't know that I would ever drop that kind of cash again on a single app. I would love Shazam, since I am always asking my wife to ID a song with her iPhone, because for some reason, Encore is/was free for the iPhone I think.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think it is more than enough. I mean really what electronic service does not go out now days? Cable, satellite, cell provider, landline, electric all do. It happens and we are glad that it does not happen regularly. I think an apology and these apps are more than what is needed. Apple has had outages of MobileMe and we got nothing yet I don't remember people screaming I am dropping Apple. The outage reminds us how much we value our Blackberry services. BTW, you could still normal text and call so it is not like a complete outage and for those of us in the US remember that during the east coast earthquakes BBM's went through where calls and regular SMS texts didn't. So lighten up.
    Phone OS's used: iOS; Android; BB 6,7,10; WP 7,7.5,8
    Current phone OS's: iPhone 6 (Sprint), iPhone 7+ (AT&T)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Love to see N.O.V.A and Sims 3 run on any device not running OS 7. Lol

Device(s)
    BB Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9330; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    At one time, I had purchased Vlingo, and it honestly wasn't that bad. I don't know that I would ever drop that kind of cash again on a single app. I would love Shazam, since I am always asking my wife to ID a song with her iPhone, because for some reason, Encore is/was free for the iPhone I think.
    If you are a Verizon customer they have a free Song id app so there would be no need to pay for Shazam.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Really? I will have to take a look since I hide all of the apps pushed by Verizon. I just assume that they are all pay apps, so they get hidden.

Device(s)
    BB Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    Really? I will have to take a look since I hide all of the apps pushed by Verizon. I just assume that they are all pay apps, so they get hidden.
    The program is called VCast Song ID. Just look for the icon that looks like headphones. The first time you click on it you will get a prompt to download the app. It's free to download and free to use. The only thing I don't like about it is sometimes the app is very slow to load for some reason.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Anyone have any luck with getting their freebies? I'm only getting offered drive safe.ly. Using a 9700 on OS6.

Was looking forward to bejewelled

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It looks like Drive Safe.ly was issued today, and other apps will be coming, most likely in the next few days/weeks. I for one, am pretty excited about this honestly. I find that the BB apps are often way overpriced, so free is always good in my book.

Device(s)
    BB 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Patience is the key!! they will offer more free apps over the coming days/weeks.. give them time...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast