Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Does anyone else find it endlessly irritating how VZW reps (esp indirect)....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thumbs down Does anyone else find it endlessly irritating how VZW reps (esp indirect)....

    ...try to sell you nothing but Android phones when you go in for an upgrade/new line? Every time I've been in one of Verizon's stores in the past and recently it seems like they will say anything to get you to buy a Droid instead of an iPhone, BlackBerry, WP7, ect. I swear it's like Verizon has brainwashed their reps to believe that Android is the be all end all of operating systems and it's def. not. Not all of us fall for your sales tactics to make YOU more money and not give the customer what they truly want/need. I haven't noticed this at AT&T or Sprint stores so it must be something VZW trains their employees to do and it's very annoying.

    I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this at their local Verizon store.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,981
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think it's the same money to them when they sell any smartphone (except maybe the iphone). What really puts them off is the customer who insists on a dumb phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,417
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    It probably is because the bulk of verizons smart phone line up is Android.

    Based on their website it's something like

    2 iPhones (4/4S)
    16 Android
    1 WebOS
    1 WP7
    3 BlackBerries

    So with that you get the most variety with android. Phones with varying screen sizes, LTE, keyboards, prices vary (you can get a cheap/high end android device). Overall there is just more diversity in Android then the others.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18,536
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Keep in mind that reps (direct or indirect) are pressured by their managers to up-sell customers to increase their sales figures. It's nothing personal, they just want to keep their jobs. Works the same with virtually all carriers and sales reps.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    Also remember that Verizon trained all their employees for years that the Android could do everything the iphone could do and more. They were pounded in the head with constant trainings and upper management on how to sell against the iphone with Android. Most of the reps have some sort of Android phone as well for their personal line. But they really do not care what time of smartphone you get as long as it is a smartphone. Commissions are no different for direct reps on the operating system

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    86
    Feedback Score
    0
    Expect someone who sells things for a living to sell you what pays them the most commission. For instance Verizon store don't like to sell things like batteries because that might be a $10 markup for the store rather than hundreds in commission for the rep.

    I know an authorized dealer who just lost their dealership because Verizon said they weren't selling enough smartphones. This guy never tried to push anything on you he didn't think you needed and for most people around here, a basic phone is all they need. The trouble is, he just wasn't good at pushing data plans and if someone wanted a basic phone, he would get one for them. He didn't hide his basic phones in the back and pretend he didn't have them, he told you upfront if he thought that's what you needed. He sold the crap out of the Samsung convoy and only a few Droids. He had a hard time understanding why when the Blackberry Pearl was hot, you pushed the Blackberry to the consumer, but now that it's discontinued, there is no longer a consumer grade Blackberry and now he has to push a Droid.

    His mistake, he tried to keep his customers happy by getting them batteries and stuff for their phone instead of telling them they needed a new phone. When he did sell phones, he sold basic phones. Now, no more dealer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,193
    Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think it's primarily for two reasons...

    1) They have more Android phones to sell than anything else.

    2) Cellphone sales tends to collect more folks interested in technology than, say, diswasher sales Androids are more "techie". Therefore, presumed "better", by techie standards.

    -Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh Map]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,291
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, I have an Android phone anyway. But yes, because their current data plans are crap, it does bother me that they have almost no selection of phones that don't require a data plan.

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    169
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Get used to it, things are only going to get worse, a boatload of 4g devices and almost nothing in the line of simple basic phones.

    Brings to mind back a couple of years ago when a verizon rep told me an iPhone couldn't hold a candle to the original droid. Anything was better than an iPhone because verizon didn't have one. Now verizon has one, but how do you sell something you've been trained to compete against? Solution, let the iPhone sell itself and it does. People are told they need a blackberry for work, they know what they want when they hit the door and the Blackberry sells itself.

    From what i've seen, android devices are the easiest to sell to someone who isn't sure what they want or if they aren't sure about a smartphone. If you tell the rep you want an iPhone and act very sure of yourself, they will gladly sell you one.


    -- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,179
    Feedback Score
    0
    Smartphones I'm general are a huge push right now but 4G is also a big push. We're really being pressured to sell 4G devices and get people off the 3G network. Droids are the only 4G phones right now. But yeah like others said, there is the most choices on Droids as well. I'll happily sell an iPhone to someone who wants one though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,291
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tell ya what, get a 4G android phone *with a keyboard* and I'm sold 8-) We've got LTE here in Iowa City already. But, I haven't even seen a rumor of a rumor of one coming up.

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,417
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Tell ya what, get a 4G android phone *with a keyboard* and I'm sold 8-) We've got LTE here in Iowa City already. But, I haven't even seen a rumor of a rumor of one coming up.

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums
    There is one. The Samsung Stratosphere.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,599
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Its the old Mac vs PC thing, IMO. You have two types of people, those who want to just get the work done and move on, and those who like to tinker endlessly with their phones/computers. I expect most of the sales people, who sell phones because they like the technology, are probably geeky and like to hack their phones and customize them. So they love Android. As a user, I like to play with the apps on my phone, but not tinker with the phone itself (I had a jailbroken iPhone on T-Mobile and I never updated the OS because I was afraid I would brick it!). Neither one is wrong, it is just two different mindsets.

    When I called T-Mobile to close my account, the woman tried soooo hard to get me to take some deal of an Android phone for free so I would stay with them. Nothing doing, you will never sell me one. Because I cant think of anything worse than picking through menus and loading special software on my Mac to sync my phone. But I know there are people out there who love doing that... they can have it


  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    2,150
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pc.colfax View Post
    Expect someone who sells things for a living to sell you what pays them the most commission. For instance Verizon store don't like to sell things like batteries because that might be a $10 markup for the store rather than hundreds in commission for the rep.

    I know an authorized dealer who just lost their dealership because Verizon said they weren't selling enough smartphones. This guy never tried to push anything on you he didn't think you needed and for most people around here, a basic phone is all they need. The trouble is, he just wasn't good at pushing data plans and if someone wanted a basic phone, he would get one for them. He didn't hide his basic phones in the back and pretend he didn't have them, he told you upfront if he thought that's what you needed. He sold the crap out of the Samsung convoy and only a few Droids. He had a hard time understanding why when the Blackberry Pearl was hot, you pushed the Blackberry to the consumer, but now that it's discontinued, there is no longer a consumer grade Blackberry and now he has to push a Droid.

    His mistake, he tried to keep his customers happy by getting them batteries and stuff for their phone instead of telling them they needed a new phone. When he did sell phones, he sold basic phones. Now, no more dealer.
    Trust me, one of the first things they teach you in Principals of Selling 101 is that "you can't sell something to someone that they do not want."
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

    A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18,536
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    Trust me, one of the first things they teach you in Principals of Selling 101 is that "you can't sell something to someone that they do not want."
    I think Steve Jobs and Apple seemed to contradict that statement. Who thought they needed an iPod, iPhone, or iPad until they were actually released? Prior to the invention of those products there was no real "perceived" demand and yet people are buying newer models of those devices as fast as they are released.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM
  2. Gen Care Reps, SR REPs and Coaches in call center 84 need a swift beating!
    By KingGhidorah in forum T-Mobile Employees & Dealers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
  3. Hey Alltel Retail & Indirect Reps
    By RedHeadTwink in forum ALLTEL
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 11:49 AM
  4. Irritating Issue with Escape Button
    By dsm918 in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks