Thread: AT&T 3G Frequencies

Feedback Score

AT&T 3G Frequencies

Yes, I'm a newbie so excuse the question. I am looking for a 3G phone to use on the AT&T network. I know that AT&T uses 850ghz and 1900ghz for their 3G service. Does that mean I need a phone that uses both of the frequencies for 3G, or is a phone that only has 850 available for 3G good enough? Hope this makes sense. Many of the unlocked no-name phones have various frequencies for 3G depending on their market. Thanks for the education!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It depends on the market. I know it was common before to have 1900MHz only 3G, but that is a weaker signal, and eventually they made room to fit in 850 MHz 3G in most markets, which boosts your signal/coverage.

To take advantage, it really is best to have both 850 and 1900MHz.

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It all depends what frequency AT&T owns in your county. The FCC regulates licenses by MTA and BTA for PCS (1900MHZ), or RSA or MSA for the original cellular licenses (850Mhz), of which there are othatnly 2 per county. 850 licenses cover roughly 3 times that of a1900Mhz license (per tower). The hard part is figuring out what area you are in. If you ask your local AT&T office they will most likely tell you that ur area is at 850Mhz, as they know no differences.
    Know when u get into the 4G LTE areas it is even smaller and complicated, as AT&T only purchased them in metro counties. The best resource is the FCC site, although its not easy to navigate by county. Best of luck to you!

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I commend you for sending a message that understands frequencies. Most of the posts on thi

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I commend you sir for understanding that frequencies are they indicate how a phone performs, or doesnt, work in an area. Most people do not recognize that this varies by county. I work in the sales side, but have been educated by the engineering side of the business. The local, regional, and national restrictions also play a part in wireless coverage. People want a single answer to how their phone works, but that is not so. Thank you for understanding the variables.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums