Thread: New iPhone and rollback question

Feedback Score

Question New iPhone and rollback question

I'm looking to purchase a new phone for my daughter for Xmas. I was wondering if a new iPhone 4 (not S) would come with iOS4 or iOS5?

If it comes with iOS 5, is there a way to roll it back to 4.3.4 or below (firmware only)? I know there's a way to do it and jailbreak it to iOS4 using redsnow if you came from ios4 already, but I can't seem to find out if you never had it is there a way to download an image?

The whole purpose of this is to put on iLocalis on it for tracking, and internet safety reasons (no, it's not available in non-jailbroken form).

Device(s)
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Cannot be done.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Feedback Score
    You can't roll back a phone, unless you were able to capture the files needed while Apple was still signing them.

In any case, is iLocalis the right thing to be using to keep tabs on your daughter? If you want to track the phone, there are a couple of completely free options already, FindMyiPhone and FindMyFriends. Both work well, and you can prevent the "user" from disabling their functionality.

If you're worried about internet safety, perhaps your daughter isn't ready for something like the iPhone...

iLocalis is kind of creepy, in my opinion. Being able to use someone's phone like a bug and reading their texts without their consent is a pretty serious invasion of privacy.

Feedback Score
    Agreed. It's mostly for cyberbullying via text messaging, that is all. She might erase messages she doesn't want us to see. Internet browsing-wise we are not concerned. She as a laptop and an iPad 1 and has shown that there's no issue with that.

I wasn't sure if mobileme was able to be deactivated so that's good to know. I'll probably start off with that if rolling back is not an option.

I was afraid of that - I suspected it would need a signed image vs. any generic image.

Does anyone know if all models sold now through AT&T are *always* upgraded to the latest firmware? If not, I might have a chance. I still want to Jailbreak since my daughter likes some of the customization I could do on mine.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    MobileMe is being discontinued. The new feature is iCloud which includes Find My iPhone. Each person using an iPhone with at least iOS5 can get a free account.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gazoo66 View Post
    Does anyone know if all models sold now through AT&T are *always* upgraded to the latest firmware? If not, I might have a chance. I still want to Jailbreak since my daughter likes some of the customization I could do on mine.
    If she likes the customization, then you can still jailbreak iOS 5. It's just a tethered jailbreak, which means you'd need to hook back up to a computer if you have to reboot the phone. But if you keep the phone, you're okay.

And it isn't a matter of whether the phones are updated. Once the iPhones are in their boxes, they're sealed in there until sale. however, every iPhone ships with whatever the current iOS version is at the time the phone was built at the factory. iPhones sell fast, so, the time between a new version being released and the iPhones on the store shelves having it is pretty short.

Left: iPhone 6+ on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    If you want an iPhone 4 with iOS 4 on it for whatever reason you'll have to buy used. Anything you buy new will come with iOS 5.

And as others have mentioned, Find My Friends is perfect for tracking loved ones, no hacking required.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.