Thread: Need Suggestions... Parent wants a stealth GPS tracking

Feedback Score

Need Suggestions... Parent wants a stealth GPS tracking

Hello,

I had a parent come in today and they wanted to see if there was some way to add a stealth gps tracking on their kids phone... it doesnt have to be freeware as they are willing to pay for the tracking software... the kid had a Samsung Galaxy Indulge, they didn't want to do a app because it would show unless it a stealth app...

Just help is greatly appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Latitude from google is a primitive way of tracking them, as long as their gps is powered on it will update occasionally. As for other software, I'm sure there is some. But if the kid knows how to turn the GPS off in Android, I don't know that any app will help. Unless the app knows to turn on the gps and turn it back off after it's got a lock. I'm sure it could go off cell towers and wifi, but cell towers would be useless unless you don't know where in town your kid is, and wifi can be a hit or miss on location.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result I can't vouch for it's effectiveness, but it says auto starts in stealthy mode.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Does the customer have MetroGuard (insurance)? They could install Metro's Total Protection app. Even with GPS location turned off, I'm able to see a location history -- as well as the current location -- of my Galaxy Indulge.

Device(s)
    ZTE ZMax Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I have a program installed on my phone that after installing it you can go to the website at any time and use it to tell you where your phone is. At the same time you can disable the app from showing up on the phone at all after being installed. It's called "Seekdroid". After you install it, you can go to the website and put in the username and password that you create when you install the program and it gives all sorts of options. You can see where the phone is at any time, you can also remotely wipe the phone, on top of that, you can even see the call log. Then if you ever misplace the phone you can send it a alarm to make it go off...Even if you have GPS turned off, and even if you have it on silent, this program will do everything that you ask it to do. I got it for free from the Amazon Free App of the day, but after paying for the app, you don't have to worry about a monthly fee or anything like that. If you want more information let me know!

Sent from my Asus Transformer Tablet

Feedback Score
    That's what I need!

Feedback Score
    Wanted to thank you guys for your input... I am going to first try seekdroid and then the metroguard app...

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I hate to bump this thread, but it's along the same question.

Co-workers family is wanting to be able to track their daughters feature phone via gps. Posssible? Does metro have a total protection app for feature phones? I'll find out the specific phone sometime soon.

Device(s)
    They ask this question 4 times, and then ask it again.
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I refuse to help, and you guys should stop customer service at this point.

1) I believe in privacy even if it's from a minor to a parent. If the parents are smart enough to sniff it out due to their lack of time, attention, awareness, or just knowing their own kid, then screw them. If they want to give their child a device for the purpose of tracking their every move, they are a bit totalitarian for me to want to help.

2) Stealth GPS tracking? No. Once GPS is turned off, it's off. You need an app that will turn it on based on some sort of ping system. You still need an app that's installed (visible). The only way that it has been a workaround this was CarrierIQ which I also think is ugly. Good luck trying to find a manufacturer to agree to allowing that app embedded and hidden into the OS.

3) If there really are parents that want this, A) They are ****ing weirdos. B) They probably use this to play conversation to hang out at the store for conversation without any real intention to buy a phone. I mean really, is a MetroPCS store really the forum for this sort of thing and is this the one thing hindering them from buying a phone? C) Unless they show me some obvious proof that their kid needs some sort of ankle bracelet on them, I'm not going to entertain that idea beyond a 1 minute conversation about it.

Final thoughts:
    I can see how this can be a profitable app to sell to parents. Having seen both sides of the plane, I wouldn't give parents that advantage. I would only make an app that was co-op between parents and their kids. No
    stealth GPS tracker that their kids don't even know they are being tracked. If parents can't trust their kids, there are much better methods of accomplishing this than trying to get dirt on your kids so that you can beat them up when you catch them in the act. Ugh.

Carrier(s)
    Metro-PCS
    Feedback Score
    Hey 4GJ I just want to ask do you have children yourself?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Currently in development for feature phones, a version of the Total Protection app.

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    In terms of privacy act i say let the kids take their parents to court now if they want a good tracking app there was one that was made for anti-theft but could be used as well as gps tracking. i forgot the name it was on the android forums but the lg esteem section isnt working for me ill wait till later to check it out again.

ok its up again the program is called Cerberus does more than just gps tracking also takes pics without person knowing and stuff so not only could u track ur kids but also see whom they are with lol

https://market.android.com/details?i...mNlcmJlcnVzIl0.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Family was looking for a option to keep an eye on their 15 year old daughter who has been apparently doing unappropriate things for a 15 year old. I don't know the details as to what, but for what it's worth, the parents pay for the phone, so I don't see a issue for them to track their own phone.

CarrierIQ doesn't have anything to do with this subject, at least to my knowledge. OP and I didn't ask for a keylogger/dataminer, just a simple locator. The last I knew, phones could be trianglulated via cell towers, or given a range around the tower you are connected to, just like what Google Maps does when your gps and wifi are off.

In the end, I'm just a guy trying to help a friend. I'm not going to get into the privacy flame war or the moral war, or any war for that matter.

For2njr, thanks for the insight, I will let them know about that, but tell them as of now, I don't see a way to track the phone.

Device(s)
    LG Connect
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4GJ View Post
    I refuse to help, and you guys should stop customer service at this point.

1) I believe in privacy even if it's from a minor to a parent. If the parents are smart enough to sniff it out due to their lack of time, attention, awareness, or just knowing their own kid, then screw them. If they want to give their child a device for the purpose of tracking their every move, they are a bit totalitarian for me to want to help.

2) Stealth GPS tracking? No. Once GPS is turned off, it's off. You need an app that will turn it on based on some sort of ping system. You still need an app that's installed (visible). The only way that it has been a workaround this was CarrierIQ which I also think is ugly. Good luck trying to find a manufacturer to agree to allowing that app embedded and hidden into the OS.

3) If there really are parents that want this, A) They are ****ing weirdos. B) They probably use this to play conversation to hang out at the store for conversation without any real intention to buy a phone. I mean really, is a MetroPCS store really the forum for this sort of thing and is this the one thing hindering them from buying a phone? C) Unless they show me some obvious proof that their kid needs some sort of ankle bracelet on them, I'm not going to entertain that idea beyond a 1 minute conversation about it.

Final thoughts:
    I can see how this can be a profitable app to sell to parents. Having seen both sides of the plane, I wouldn't give parents that advantage. I would only make an app that was co-op between parents and their kids. No
    stealth GPS tracker that their kids don't even know they are being tracked. If parents can't trust their kids, there are much better methods of accomplishing this than trying to get dirt on your kids so that you can beat them up when you catch them in the act. Ugh.
    While everyone is entitled to their opinion and I value the fact that you've given yours, I don't see why this bothers you as much as it does. A parent doesn't need an app like this to act as an "ankle bracelet" as you say, this could simply be because you have a young child that walks home from school and you want to use some extra safety measure in the event your child is missing. Track the kids phone through this app and you've just avoided a potential horrible crime.

It's your right to deny helping an individual with this specific task, but calling parents "****ing weirdos" simply for wanting to know where their kids are is a bit out of line and not called for.

Case in point: My buddy's 13 year old son has this app on his phone (yes, without his knowledge) and had gotten permission to sleep at a friends house one evening. He gets a call from the friends parents after midnight and was asked if the kids happen to walk to his house which they didn't and now this means the 2 kids are missing. Long story short, they tracked them and found them in a stolen car that was heisted by another kid and were all going for a joy ride. First offense for the 2 kids due to them being persuaded by the 3rd...who was drunk. So disaster possibly avoided thanks to such an app.

Moral of the story, no matter how well you know your child, anything can happen. So being prepared by using any tools necessary is not a bad idea and doesn't make you a weirdo parent, but rather a well prepared and well informed parent.

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    Very well said wagon and im 100% with u there and i do stand for the parents to be snoops on their kids up to a certain age, its these types of parents that try to make a difference in today's society which are these kids that are rapidly growing and being easily influenced. now im sure alot of parents will read this and say oh no not my kids they are ANGELS!!! lol im one of those kids that is grown up and if it wasnt for my parents hard love and patience i would not be here today to say this.This isnt only to snoop on ur kids its like wagon said it could save ur child if they are ever kidnapped or whatever or perhaps they get hurt or injured and are unconsious.The only way i see this being used wrong is to install this on some1's phone that isnt related to u in anyway shape or form just to be a stalker other than that, i highly recommend this!

Feedback Score
    Recommended for KidsGuard, it will be invisible on the target device after the installation is complete. A free way like Google Maps to track children from Android devices will be discovered by clever kids, who will be angry. Smart parents won't do this.