Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Verizon 4G LTE SIM from smartphone to MiFi/Datacard

Feedback Score

Swapping Verizon 4G LTE SIM from smartphone to MiFi/Datacard

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my VZW droid 2 3g (grandfathered unlimited) to a 4G phone( I'm waiting for the Galaxy Nexus). Anyhow I've been looking around and notice that due to open access laws Verizon can't touch my plan while I'm using the 700 Mhz(LTE) and I've also seen that someone posted that Verizon's policy is that Data from a 4G datacard is billed to the smartphone plan anyway. Therefore I intend to get a 4G MiFi from Ebay and swap my SIM from the phone to use the MiFi as a hotspot. Can anyone confirm this? Also is it possible to get a bad MiFi with a blocked/ bad imsi due to no payment?

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    When I worked with Verizon before leaving this past June, I did see their intranet (InfoManager) with the policy on swapping an LTE sim card between the different categories of 4G devices. They did state that those on the unlimited smartphone data plan would get unlimited data when moving the sim to a tablet or modem but you'd still pay for any voice or text despite being unable to use them. If you moved your sim from a tablet or modem to a smartphone, you'd get the tiered data plan you had on that other device plus pay as you go for minutes and text unless you added a plan.

Just for fun, I'd swapped my sim from my Thunderbolt into a UML290 4G USB modem at work and my online account quickly showed my new device and that I still had unlimited data.

Since I don't work there anymore, I can't see if they have changed this policy or not. Otherwise, its pretty sweet, especially for us lucky enough to have grandfathered unlimited data.

I'll bet there can be a risk for modems and tablets to have bad ESNs and thus useless for Verizon service, so its something to be wary about, especially buying from places such as Ebay and Craigslist.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Just for fun, I'd swapped my sim from my Thunderbolt into a UML290 4G USB modem at work and my online account quickly showed my new device and that I still had unlimited data.
    Been using my unlimited smartphone LTE plan on UML290 since August, no issues whatsoever. Go for it!
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Feedback Score
    It doesn't work that way with ESN/MEID blocking on GSM/LTE. Carriers really don't block IMEI (GSM equiv.) unless they believe the device is stolen. And most carriers are lazy and I don't believe US carriers really care that much. They would block the SIM card IMSI# to kill the service and de-activate the service profile.

VZW is using GSM now and they have the same high-tech IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) and the modern IP RAN technology that allows VZW to know up to the second which device its on, similar with AT&T and T_Mobile.

They don't care what device you use it on really, either a VZW 4G device or any 4G device without support since the new stuff is all auto-configure from the network.

The reality is that as long as VZW gets your monthly payment for the service [type] and you don't abuse it (most don't, most people do it for portability and quick usage for work/entertainment) they don't care.

They only care if you exceed the plan's 5GB/10GB or really abuse the unlimited on a laptop (which doesn't really matter which network technology, your abusing the service >5/10GB, etc, etc.).

The plan is TIED TO THE SIM CARD, NOT THE DEVICE on 4G!

Feedback Score
    Your paying for 4,5,10G, etc.

VZW doesn't care about the medium. Why should they.

You can use it on your laptop, smart-phone, etc.

The reason voice minutes are charged on a phone from a SIM on a data-stick is that the data-stick IMEI didn't have PHYSICAL voice capabilities (but has SMS via the app) but the phone does.

You dial with the phone, you get the prepaid $0.45 or 0.69 or whatever prepaid rate.

If you really wanted to change it, CSR or vzw.com can dynamically change the SIM card online from VZW provisioning, next time you reboot the device the SIM chip magic and their network will make the settings apply auto-magically and you can add plan [x] of your choice.

deathtrip Guest
    Actually... Verizon can tie the IMEI to an account, not just the SIM. I went through this just today. While the IMEI of your device does not have to be tied to your account, you can have it done so. That is why you can "find" Verizon LTE IMEIs and check them either on my site or through Verizon and most will show clean, while some will show used.

Sent from my PC36100

Feedback Score
    No one has missed an annual upgrade yet. Everyone who would have had one still will through Fenruary. So maybe next year when some people would have been eligible for an annual and now aren't they might get an offer. If you used your last annual them its been since February so it hasn't even been a year yet. You've got a bit before they would even consider it. If you used your last annual before February then you have another one coming.

Feedback Score
    I do it all the time. When my lte xoom was bricked, had my sim in a thunderbolt running as a hotspot. Works fine, no extra charges.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    VZW doesn't "detect" that you are tethering, or running a hotspot, without paying for that feature?

Does it make a difference if its a phone or something like a MiFi ?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure if they detect but I added the mobile hotspot feature just to be able to justify the high use in case they try to give me grief later or kick me off of unlimited data.

Feedback Score
    Someone is selling me their grandfathered unlimited broadband plan (3g mobile broadband USB device). Can I put that sim in a 4g LTE mifi or USB modem and get unlimited LTE speeds??

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tdervish View Post
    Someone is selling me their grandfathered unlimited broadband plan (3g mobile broadband USB device). Can I put that sim in a 4g LTE mifi or USB modem and get unlimited LTE speeds??
    Vzw 3g devices don't have sim cards.

Still rocking the OG Droid using Tapatalk!!!

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been moving my SIM from my Razr, Jetpack mifi and Galaxy Tab with no changes to my unlimited data plan. Works good just have to do some "fiddlin" with the micro sim in the Jetpack to get it to work

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    I've been moving my SIM from my Razr, Jetpack mifi and Galaxy Tab with no changes to my unlimited data plan. Works good just have to do some "fiddlin" with the micro sim in the Jetpack to get it to work
    By "fiddling" you mean use a micro sim card adaptor?

Sent from my R800x using HowardForums
    Last edited by akhi216; 01-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    By "fiddling" you mean use a micro sim card adaptor?

Sent from my R800x using HowardForums
    I'm using the MicroSim from my G-Nex in my Rezound without an adapter. I got it in there just right and it hasn't budged.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast