Page 167 of 179 FirstFirst ... 67 117 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2684

Thread: T-Mobile is deploying 1900MHz HSPA/4G

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Inquisitor View Post
    I wonder why carriers would implement DC-HSPA+. Nobody needs bandwidths above 42.2 MBit/s, so instead of using DC-HSPA+ it should be way more battery-efficient to have just two separate carriers and some load balancing which distributes traffic evenly across those two carriers. I guess it's the marketing guys who force deployment of DC-HSPA+ so they can advertise those high bandwidths to the clueless masses.
    Carriers deploy DC-HSPA+ around the world for the same reason they deploy LTE. Higher speeds. Lower Latencies. Oh, and BETTER CAPACITY. The higher your peak speeds are per cell, the more users you can offer acceptable bandwidth. So for most operators who expect to deploy LTE at any point, DC-HSPA+ (or, more importantly, 3gpp rel 8) is a natural upgrade. It's on the exact same development path as LTE, and it allows operators to upgrade their infrastructure and provide performance benefits across their existing footprint before building out LTE. Last but not least, DC-HSPA+ provides a majority of the Release 8 benefits that LTE provides, but on existing UE meaning the impact for users is immediate upon deployment. Even non-DC-HSPA+ user equipment benefits from DC-HSPA+ at the network level, seeing lower latency and higher throughput.

So to recap why DC-HSPA+ is a smart move for the 106 operators around the planet which have already deployed it:
    1. Allows an operator to set the groundwork for future LTE deployment.
    2. Allows eusers to gain access to 3gpp rel 8 benefits of that groundwork immediately.
    3. Allows operators to increase capacity and spectral efficiency (ie making sure that capacity is used as well as possible)
    4. Allows existing user equipment to see performance enhancements, saving costs for users.
    5. If the operator is spending that cash anyways for their LTE deployment, they might as well spend it now and gain the benefits of Rel8 as soon as possible, while simplifying their future LTE deployment.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia P, Huawei E5823s
    Carrier(s)
    O2 Germany
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    1. Allows an operator to set the groundwork for future LTE deployment.
    What have groundwork and potential preparations for an LTE upgrade to do with using dual carrier on the air interface?

2. Allows eusers to gain access to 3gpp rel 8 benefits of that groundwork immediately.
    None of the rel. 8 features (one-tunnel architecture on the RAN, HSDPA categories 19 & 20) I am aware about do necessarily require DC-HSPA+.

3. Allows operators to increase capacity and spectral efficiency (ie making sure that capacity is used as well as possible)
    How does DC-HSPA+ increase capacity and especially spectral efficiency? Sure, having one fat pipe may slightly better use the capacity than having two smaller pipes with load balancing, but the effect is minor, especially as few handsets support DC, and must be weighed against costs and battery life of handsets.

4. Allows existing user equipment to see performance enhancements, saving costs for users.
    What is the performance enhancement? Subscribers on the cell edge may see higher bandwidths but they pay for that by much higher battery drain. For 80% of subscribers DC-HSPA+ makes no difference.

5. If the operator is spending that cash anyways for their LTE deployment, they might as well spend it now and gain the benefits of Rel8 as soon as possible, while simplifying their future LTE deployment.
    Preparing your NodeBs for LTE deployment is a wise idea but that does not require to activate DC-HSPA+.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile is deploying 1900MHz HSPA/4G

I'm starting to wonder of its the iPhone 5 that is having the issue with locking onto TMobile pcs HSPA.

Too bad I don't have another phone to compare the signals
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA (2003-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    I'm starting to wonder of its the iPhone 5 that is having the issue with locking onto TMobile pcs HSPA.

In my testing, the Galaxy S III has very good signal continuity between cells on refarmed 1900. I have noticed that the availability of 1900 has been in and out on certain cells in my market, but they only officially "launched" with the latest press release. Will do additional testing and let you know, but the phone itself seems to have no trouble with HSPA on 1900.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post

While I didn't have another phone to compare signal strength with, my iPhone5 did an excellent job while on vacation north of Dallas, TX. Basically between Dallas North Tollway and 75, and from Love field almost up to Sam Rayburn Tollway, over the course of 5 days travelling all over in that area, I dropped to edge few enough times to count on 2 hands. I'd say that entire area is 95% done and active with the refarm. The iPhone had -no- problem hanging on to a weak WCDMA signal, all but maybe 2 or 3 the EDGE dropbacks were areas that had not been refarmed, not because WCDMA from a certain tower was too weak and it had to drop back to EDGE from that same tower.

Granted, this experience isn't objective, but I didn't notice anything wonky with the iphone with performance or service switching (WCDMA to EDGE and back).

Also, the Dallas and surrounding metropolis is all NSN, which makes towers ridiculously easy to spot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am wondering on how long does this take to get it done. I have 3G on Los Angeles Freeway, but not in residential area. I used iPhone 4 and the reception keeps turning on and off changing from 3g to 2g.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    DC-HSPA+ only allows for higher peak downloads, when the cell is saturated DC-HSPA+ makes little-to-no difference.

My Galaxy S III switches between PCS HSPA+ and AWS HSPA+ OK, but sometimes it kicks over to GSM before it goes back to AWS and calls drop a lot more when you leave PCS HSPA+ or AWS HSPA+ (and have PCS HSPA+ available)
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by itouchmacbook View Post
    I am wondering on how long does this take to get it done. I have 3G on Los Angeles Freeway, but not in residential area. I used iPhone 4 and the reception keeps turning on and off changing from 3g to 2g.
    I don't know how long this is going to take, but I wouldn't be surprised if this project went well into 2014 seeing that the Southland is nothing but sprawl. You're not the only one with this issue right now, at least for me there's some PCS 3G in certain residential areas but the coverage isn't 100%.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: T-Mobile is deploying 1900MHz HSPA/4G

Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    DC-HSPA+ only allows for higher peak downloads, when the cell is saturated DC-HSPA+ makes little-to-no difference.
    But it does affect the way the load is applied not all users will be on the same carrier bogging it down.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by itouchmacbook View Post
    That's how they approached NYC as well. They first deployed around the highways, and major avenues, then branched it out.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    That's how they approached NYC as well. They first deployed around the highways, and major avenues, then branched it out.
    Dallas followed this pattern as well.. Dallas N Tollway and 75 got it first... and each subsequent trip I've taken there it's filled into the residential areas.

This is not the case for Colorado Springs, but small city *shrugs*

This was from a few weeks ago here in the 'springs
    Attachment 90110

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Monthly 4G)
    Feedback Score

Re: T-Mobile is deploying 1900MHz HSPA/4G

I've noticed that here in Mobile, AL, my phone locks onto HSPA more often and for much longer, whereas when I bought it, I wouldn't even have data when it switched to HSPA.

I would check for PCS HSPA, but I'm not totally sure how to do it with CM10.1

Sent from my CM10.1 Galaxy Exhibit 4G

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In my location I'm starting to see a lot more 3G in a lot more places, and its hanging on to it a lot more, only after a couple months. So I'm confident that it will only get better as time goes on.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone noticed a reduction of signal since the refarm?

I'm in a busy, but edge suburban shopping center. Verizon, MetroPCS, Sprint and ATT all have perfect coverage (cell tower right outside my door). T-Mobile covers the area, but their tower is back a mile away by the freeway. I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 (debug screen) to check readings and bands, and I'm in an unlimited spectrum market (40mhz of PCS, 30mhz AWS)

Before the refarm, got -105dbm HSPA 21 on AWS, and -95dbm GRPS on PCS (tower never had edge)

After the refarm, get -105dbm HSPA 21 on AWS, -105dbm HSPA 21 on PCS, and -88dbm EDGE on PCS.

Has anyone else noticed T-Mobile purposely gimp the PCS HSPA+? It's been known for a long time that they do this on AWS (for 'capacity') but I'm really upset to see them do this on PCS too. I've gone from one bar of GRPS, to two bars of Edge indoors.

If they would just run HSPA at the same power they did GRPS/EDGE, everything would be fine. But by turning the power down, there's no data coverage indoors here (and given their cash situation, I'd guess they'll never hop on the cell tower outside here)

Has anyone else noticed similar in refarmed areas? Is this just a fluke, or are they commonly turning down power when reforming PCS

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsilver View Post
    Has anyone noticed a reduction of signal since the refarm?
    First question is... How long ago did the tower switch over? There's been numerous reports of wonky signal from towers recently refarmed... There's one site here in the springs doing strange things. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but if it's been <2mo since the equipment refresh, I wouldn't call that site a loss just yet.

Page 167 of 179 FirstFirst ... 67 117 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 LastLast