Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Got Scammed with a Samsung Galaxy S2 - Tmobile says IMEI is blocked

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    . Some people honestly don't know that by defaulting on their payment the phone they're selling will be blacklisted. It's unfair to punish the buyer.
    T-Mobile's present attitude of "Take your blacklisted phone and get lost..."
    Tmo doesn't notify consumers that devices can or will be blocked on it's network or it's not in the T&C's AFAIK. ( if someone can find it then please post here). Putting all the legal debate of ownership aside for a second, jet has a good point in that they won't block a phone if you call in to report it stolen so the policy isn't enforced in a uniform fashion. There is no upside for the company because they will just lose money if the buyer of said phone decided to take business elsewhere. That leads me to conclude that Tmobile is doing it only for vindictive reasons. If they truly wanted to stop the use of all stolen or unpaid devices on the network then they would blacklist all reported stolen phones as well.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    I didn't say anything about someone hitting hard times and still needing wireless service. I'm talking about if someone gets laid off or loses their job for whatever reason and decides they'd rather have food and electricity than continue their commitment with T-Mobile. T-Mobile does not let you out of an ETF for loss of work, so I'm sure plenty of people who fell on hard times have broken their two year contracts.

The only message this blacklist sends is that it's a gamble if you buy a used handset. T-Mobile may think it will help them get more two year contracts renewed or sell more full price phones, but the reality is it will just piss off customers and send them to competitors. Considering T-Mo is in LAST place out of the major 4 networks, they're clearly doing some things wrong.
    if they lose their job and were cutting it that close financially where they couldn't pay a wireless bill, they should never have made a two year commitment that they might not be able to keep. but don't frickin complain when it gets blacklisted. this is business and they aren't in business to give you free things.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    this isn't at all the same as a pirated copy of windows. the reason, and it's quite simple and quite appropriate, is that if they did not blacklist the IMEI number, the phone could be used on the prepaid side. this of course would encourage dead beats to stop paying tmo on postpaid and immediately start a prepaid account---with a phone you didn't entirely pay for. this is not windows. it's completely different.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarlon View Post
    Tmo doesn't notify consumers that devices can or will be blocked on it's network or it's not in the T&C's AFAIK. ( if someone can find it then please post here). Putting all the legal debate of ownership aside for a second, jet has a good point in that they won't block a phone if you call in to report it stolen so the policy isn't enforced in a uniform fashion. There is no upside for the company because they will just lose money if the buyer of said phone decided to take business elsewhere. That leads me to conclude that Tmobile is doing it only for vindictive reasons. If they truly wanted to stop the use of all stolen or unpaid devices on the network then they would blacklist all reported stolen phones as well.
    a stolen phone is different. it doesn't involve a default on your commitment to pay tmobile. if the stolen phone involved a default of your commitment to pay tmo they will blacklist it. they are not being vindictive. they are countering the deadbeat with smart business practices.

Device(s)
    Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (R.I.P. AIO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtender View Post
    if they lose their job and were cutting it that close financially where they couldn't pay a wireless bill, they should never have made a two year commitment that they might not be able to keep.
    So, it's someone's own fault for not anticipating that they might lose their job, get sick/injured or otherwise fall on extremely hard times during the course of a two year contract? I suppose you also feel people shouldn't be allowed to short-sell their houses if they lose their job and can't make their 30 year mortgage payment - because you know, they should never have made a 30 year commitment they might not be able to keep. I think you've also solved the divorce situation, as well. Don't make a lifetime commitment you might not be able to keep. Yeah.

if they did not blacklist the IMEI number, the phone could be used on the prepaid side. this of course would encourage dead beats to stop paying tmo on postpaid and immediately start a prepaid account---with a phone you didn't entirely pay for.
    Yes, people are lining up in droves to get dinged on their credit and sent to collections so they can save a couple of bucks each month on their wireless service. Where do I sign up?

It's been stated previously, if someone wants to break their contract to go to prepaid, they don't even have to do it with the phone they already own. They can just stop paying T-Mobile and buy a TracFone for all the difference it makes. By blacklisting the phone, T-Mobile is guaranteeing that phone will never generate any more revenue for the carrier. That's a pretty boneheaded move, any way you slice it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtender View Post
    this of course would encourage dead beats to stop paying tmo on postpaid and immediately start a prepaid account--
    Wow, that would be terrible! You mean instead of T-Mobile receiving $0 from a so-called "deadbeat", if the phone was not blacklisted, the "deadbeat" might actually pay T-Mobile $30-$70 each month for prepaid service which would add to T-Mobile's revenue! Awful, for T-mobile, just plain awful. Much better to have the person leave T-Mobile all together and pay a competitor the money for prepaid service, right?

they are countering the deadbeat with smart business practices.
    Right. Smart business practices that result in zero revenue and chase customers away as described above. That's some definition of "smart".

they should never have made a two year commitment that they might not be able to keep. but don't frickin complain when it gets blacklisted.
    Who's complaining that their phone got blacklisted because they stopped making payments? The complaints I have seen are from those who legally bought a preowned phone to use on their T-mobile account only to find out that T-Mobile won't permit them to use it. Lots of complaints from customers in good standing and who pay their bill on time.

Quote Originally Posted by danska
    Actually what it does do is send a message to non customers that NO you will NOT get a phone on the cheap for them to NOT pay their bill and still sell for a profit.
    Send a message? Where is T-mobile publishing this message again? I have not seen them mention it. If you were trying to send a message, don't you need to actually publish it?

Quote Originally Posted by danska
    So, what I've learned in this thread is that t-mobile should stop blacklisting their unpaid phones cause a few people got used phones from not-reliable sources where blacklisted because somebody got laid off and needed food, and that the loss t-mobile gets should just, you know, let the loss be dumped in some mysterious bin, to be erased forever.
    The loss doesn't get erased forever and no one has advocated that. What has been said is T-Mobile can use all powers granted by federal law to collect this unsecured debt.

Feedback Score
    Report the scumbag to the DA's office. Take him to Small Claims Court. Break his kneecaps. With all the warnings about Craig's List I can't understand why people are still buying from CL.

"5% of the people have hemorrhoids & 95% are perfect a**holes.

Feedback Score
    What a group. Almost everyone here makes their own assumptions. How does anyone know T-Mo doesn't blacklist phones using the imei, btw it's the foolproof way of killing the phone. T-Mo has no obligation to tell anyone if or why they blacklisted the phone. Almost every post here is an Opinion and Opinions are like AHoles, every one has one and they all stink.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    That's too bad. Yes, this policy only hurts T-Mobile. Not only do they take a hit having issue unsecured credit to someone who didn't pay them back, they then chase away a good 10 year customer with 3 lines. Blacklisting devices is ridiculous because it doesn't do anything to collect unpaid debts. It just angers exsiting customers and causes them to flee too.

And the CEO wonders why they're losing a customer for every customer that they manage to resign. It's just bold mismanagement.

T-Mobile customers should have the ability to buy and sell their devices on the open market with no worries as they always have had.

I have been buying phones [not from T-Mo] for the last 7 years and never had a problem. The blame here lies with the Seller who is a thieving scumbag and the Buyer who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Why are the Jerks blaming T-Mo?
    What makes anyone think that T-Mo cares about a few customers? Do you think Verizon, Sprint or ATT gives a crap about their customers. Wake up people.............

Feedback Score
    Guest214, you're the first post that makes sense. If you don't pay for your car, the Repo man comes. Providers only recourse is Kill the phone by blacklisting it. These Einsteins don't get that message.

Feedback Score
    Since T-mobile DOESN'T implement these safeguards, they ARE largely culpable when an innocent buyer gets screwed over based on t-mo's poor/flawed/(possibly unethical by design, as implied by a few previous posters who accused Tmo of doing this to kill the resale market) business decisions.

T-Mo is not culpable. caveat emptor--Let the buyer beware. The buyer did not take the proper precautions and got screwed.

Feedback Score
    "They are doing it to kill the resale market, as all of the new in box phones are largely fraudulent."
    Now that's an Idiotic statement. Check eBay, Amazon, Buy.com, Overstock.com and dozens of other sites that sell new/used/locked/unlocked phones. That may be true on the planet you live on but not here on planet Earth.

Feedback Score
    I am just putting in my 2 cents here but my phone was lost and I am glad that it has a blacklisted IMEI.. as the rightful owner it gives me some satisfaction knowing that it can only be used for a media player going forward. While I do understand buying electronics off CL, I think we all need to have some common sense and make sure with the carriers before we pay that it is not blacklisted. Call AT&T and T-Mobile to see, from what I was told by a friend they can check the IMEI and you can make your decision based on this.

Device(s)
    Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (R.I.P. AIO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amg78 View Post
    as the rightful owner it gives me some satisfaction knowing that it can only be used for a media player going forward.
    Or shipped overseas, or gutted for parts to replace someone's broken screen, or sold on CL by some scumbag who patiently waits for a "sucker"... So basically, the phone is only worthless to a legitimate end user who thought they were buying a useable second hand phone. It's a bitter pill, ain't it?

While I do understand buying electronics off CL, I think we all need to have some common sense and make sure with the carriers before we pay that it is not blacklisted.
    Which does absolutely nothing to prevent the phone being reported as lost/stolen for insurance fraud purposes, after you've done your due diligence. Oops.

But don't worry, you can be sure a handset isn't blacklisted by paying full retail price or signing a new 2 year agreement, so it's all good in the name of preventing theft and fraud!

Feedback Score
    So, one year after the OP got scammed, was there anyway to get a blacklisted T-Mobile phone to work on T-Mobile? Can the IMEI be hacked/changed?

And don't say use it on AT&T, I've seen lots of those posts. I'm looking for a technical solution that we as buyers can use to combat these kind of fraud which is impossible to protect against.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13