Thread: CDMA or GSM, how do I tell the difference?

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

CDMA or GSM, how do I tell the difference?

When purchasing a Net10 phone over the internet how can I tell if I am buying a CDMA or GSM phone? We live in an area that pretty much only has US Cellular service, all of the phones in our local Wal-Mart are GSM which will not work at our house. I purchased a CDMA phone at another Wal-Mart & it works good out at our house, I am looking to buy another phone but the Net10 selection is not very good (only 3 to choose from).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwdolde View Post
    When purchasing a Net10 phone over the internet how can I tell if I am buying a CDMA or GSM phone? We live in an area that pretty much only has US Cellular service, all of the phones in our local Wal-Mart are GSM which will not work at our house. I purchased a CDMA phone at another Wal-Mart & it works good out at our house, I am looking to buy another phone but the Net10 selection is not very good (only 3 to choose from).
    CDMA phone model #s usually end with a C. Read this http://thejmart.com/markets.htm , and go to the buy a phone page at Net10, and enter a CDMA zip code (at bottom of that link), and you'll see the CDMA model #s they offer.
    Cheers!

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

Device(s)
    Moto E815, W766, LG A340, etc...
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, PagePlus Cellular, PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwdolde View Post
    After you get the brand / model number of the prospective new phones, write that info down and visit http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/.

Select the brand from that page, and then select "technology", which will divide the phones by CDMA, CDMA+AMPS, GSM, WCDMA+GSM+AMPS, et cetera. You could also select "model number" rather than "technology", but I personally prefer "technology", since I am looking for a CDMA phone, usually.

The next step completes your preliminary research and will tell you the CELL BANDS and MODE that the phone will work on: SELECT the model that you are considering. Under "Specs => mode" the bands and modes will be listed.

The other answer to your post is incorrect, in my opinion. MANY phones do NOT have the "C" letter in their model number to tell you it is a CDMA phone (e.g. LG 3280 is a CDMA phone, Motorola C139 is a GSM phone).

Cheers!
    Please run a "SEARCH" before posting your question!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
    The other answer to your post is incorrect, in my opinion. MANY phones do NOT have the "C" letter in their model number to tell you it is a CDMA phone (e.g. LG 3280 is a CDMA phone, Motorola C139 is a GSM phone)........

"CDMA phone model #s usually end with a C." is true for Tracfone and Net10 - have a look for yourself - and note the word "USUALLY".

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If this page comes up when you enter your zip code with Net10 the two Androids at the top operate on Sprint, while the 6 phones on the bottom are on Verizon.
    http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/...w&market=COSPR

You may want to consider the sister company, Straighttalk, if you want a large selection of phones and if the airtime fits your useage and budget. Again the Androids are on Sprint.
    http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...Phonelist=true

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by
    You may want to consider the sister company, Straighttalk, if you want a large selection of phones and if the airtime fits your useage and budget. Again the Androids are on Sprint.
    [url
    http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/Start.do?action=view&zip=59802&locale=en&siteType= &market=COspr&gotoPhonelist=true[/url]
    In our area StraightTalk operates off of Verizon towers & we don't have Verizon service where we live.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ST operates CDMA/Verizon with NO roaming. ST Androids are ALL CDMA/Sprint at this time with NO roaming. There is a GSM Android in the ST pipeline that may be on T-Mobile and should roam. ST GSM phones are on AT&T or T-Mobile and do roam.

If ST has an agreement for GSM in your area (and there is reception at your location) there is no reason why you couldn`t get your hands on one.

Anyone interested in operation a Smartphone for $45 a month check the ST HOFO forum:
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Straight-Talk

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    GSM reception where we live is worse than Verizon, at least with the CDMA phone I have now from Net10 I have roaming out at our house. In our area the only good cell phone reception we get is US Cellular and I just don't like paying their price. We had AT&T for a short time but had to walk an 1/8 mile to get any reception.