Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sprint network in Kansas/Oklahoma

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Sprint network in Kansas/Oklahoma

I received this notice in my Sprint online bill yesterday morning. Don't know if they're going to do this in other places or not, but it's not a good thing. Sprint is going away in half the state of Oklahoma and a good portion of south-central Kansas.

Attachment 77841

Feedback Score
    Thanks for this update. Sprint didn't see fit to include it in my bill as far as I can tell. Actually things like this should be included in seperate emails, when they impact customers in a certain geographic area, as opposed to hidden in among the rest of a bill. The information on that page is also very spotty. It identifies some major changes, but does not identify the cause or really offer any exact details that those of possibly affected need to know. The impact on me is most likely minimal, but I'd still love to see in writing now where the changes are going to be and not have to wait until March 1st to check a coverage map or worse be surprised on a bill after March 1st, because Sprint is not giving us full disclosure at this time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The areas north of Interstate 40 are where Sprint has had a full roaming agreement with Pioneer Cellular since 2005. It is off-network but has been considered as a different class by Pioneer since it is part of a joint venture with Pioneer. Pioneer used this agreement to aid in finishing the building of their system, so that it now covers every square inch of that area with 3G, buying infrastructure from Sprint, as well as having Sprint pay the cost of a substantial portion of the infrustructure. Now, Pioneer has joined Verizon's LTE in Rural America program, and this area is where that will be turned on sometime in the "spring". My guess is that it will be turned on around March 1.

The area south of Interstate 40, however, and one RSA/CMA north of 40, is all native Sprint system. I don't know whether it is being sold or what. What I do know is that south of Interstate 40, US Cellular will be launching an LTE system sometime this year in most of that area.

It looks like Sprint is cutting and running from both of these developments. They might know they have no chance of competing with LTE for probably many years and have decided to cut their losses and just leave. Pretty sad situation since it will leave Sprint with a system in Oklahoma and southern Kansas that consists only of towers ON Interstate highways and a couple turnpikes.

It affects me since I live in northwest Oklahoma, in the native Sprint portion, but my service will change to 100% roaming, and I am sure it won't be 3G roaming.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    How is it sad when Verizon is going to be providing the area where you live with LTE in a much faster fashion than you would get if Pioneer persisted in the partnership with Sprint? I don't know what angle you're coming from on this. While you may be losing a carrier choice I would have to guess that Verizon is gaining 3G roaming and also having 4G LTE roaming in the area as well. So, in that regard, your area is really losing one carrier to gain another.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Pioneer has worked itself into a very good position, as the ONLY native CDMA carrier in that area now, and who's to say that in a few years Verizon may be sent packing to the 1X roaming bin when Pioneer feels like they have no more need of them?
    Who's to say once Pioneer gets a fantastic LTE network going, Verizon won't just buy them up? Now that Sprint and CellularOne are gone, Verizon could see them dominating even more of OK. Just saying...

It is kinda like it is in Kentucky with Bluegrass. They built a fantastic network and signed onto the LTE program with Verizon, but I have heard murmurs of Verizon buying them out.

It affects me since I live in northwest Oklahoma, in the native Sprint portion, but my service will change to 100% roaming, and I am sure it won't be 3G roaming.
    Well, the bad news is you will violate your contract, since Sprint has strict roaming limits.

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.
    Long story short, Sprint will either allow you to continue because the issue was on their end, or they will boot you, which leads me to the good news: no ETF! This means you are free to go wherever you want, which would be the iPhone 5 on Verizon since it will have LTE and they have no domestic roaming limits.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    How is it sad when Verizon is going to be providing the area where you live with LTE in a much faster fashion than you would get if Pioneer persisted in the partnership with Sprint? I don't know what angle you're coming from on this. While you may be losing a carrier choice I would have to guess that Verizon is gaining 3G roaming and also having 4G LTE roaming in the area as well. So, in that regard, your area is really losing one carrier to gain another.
    Verizon will have 4G/LTE roaming, we know that from the LTE in Rural America program. There is no mention of 3G roaming in any of the PR about the program.

I am not really worried or thrilled about LTE right now, as Sprint/Pioneer's 3G works perfectly well as it is. I have a consistent 2.4Mbps connection on my iPhone 4S. I have NO use for a 4G/LTE phone that has a battery that will not last till noon!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Who's to say once Pioneer gets a fantastic LTE network going, Verizon won't just buy them up? Now that Sprint and CellularOne are gone, Verizon could see them dominating even more of OK. Just saying...

It is kinda like it is in Kentucky with Bluegrass. They built a fantastic network and signed onto the LTE program with Verizon, but I have heard murmurs of Verizon buying them out.

Well, the bad news is you will violate your contract, since Sprint has strict roaming limits.

Long story short, Sprint will either allow you to continue because the issue was on their end, or they will boot you, which leads me to the good news: no ETF! This means you are free to go wherever you want, which would be the iPhone 5 on Verizon since it will have LTE and they have no domestic roaming limits.
    Knowing these Pioneer people from experience, I really don't see them being bought out by Verizon, but I never say never. They enjoy being a "dominant carrier" and use that term in all their PR materials about the company.

My real concern right now is what happens to my iPhone 4S? As you say, I am NOT about to pay an ETF! This is THEIR doing, not mine! If I take it to Verizon, will it be stuck on 1X roaming? I will not accept that either, as I was an AT&T customer for 22 years and all they've ever offered here is EDGE. I think AT&T is going to be in BIG trouble here when Pioneer/Verizon launch their LTE. AT&T only has 3G in ONE town and has said they have no plans to expand any more. They'll be toast.

The iPhone 5 won't be out for close to a year, and I really don't want to have to put my current phone in a box and forget about it and use some other piece of junk in the meantime. The ultimate question is will Pioneer let me roam on their system 100% of the time if I do go buy a Verizon phone and bring it back here? Pioneer is closed today, so I will be on their doorstep tomorrow.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Knowing these Pioneer people from experience, I really don't see them being bought out by Verizon, but I never say never. They enjoy being a "dominant carrier" and use that term in all their PR materials about the company.

My real concern right now is what happens to my iPhone 4S? As you say, I am NOT about to pay an ETF! This is THEIR doing, not mine! If I take it to Verizon, will it be stuck on 1X roaming? I will not accept that either, as I was an AT&T customer for 22 years and all they've ever offered here is EDGE. I think AT&T is going to be in BIG trouble here when Pioneer/Verizon launch their LTE. AT&T only has 3G in ONE town and has said they have no plans to expand any more. They'll be toast.

The iPhone 5 won't be out for close to a year, and I really don't want to have to put my current phone in a box and forget about it and use some other piece of junk in the meantime. The ultimate question is will Pioneer let me roam on their system 100% of the time if I do go buy a Verizon phone and bring it back here? Pioneer is closed today, so I will be on their doorstep tomorrow.
    Verizon can virtually buy anyone they want--it just takes the right price.

AT&T is definitely still expanding and their current plan is to have HSPA+ across their entire native network by year's end.

It isn't a question of will Pioneer let you roam--of course they will. They get paid the roaming fees for it! Right now, it will be 1x only though. The roaming is purely what Verizon allows, which as Trocks said, is no limit on domestic roaming. Of course, you have to have a billing address in a native VZW area or they won't activate service for you.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Verizon can virtually buy anyone they want--it just takes the right price.

AT&T is definitely still expanding and their current plan is to have HSPA+ across their entire native network by year's end.

It isn't a question of will Pioneer let you roam--of course they will. They get paid the roaming fees for it! Right now, it will be 1x only though. The roaming is purely what Verizon allows, which as Trocks said, is no limit on domestic roaming. Of course, you have to have a billing address in a native VZW area or they won't activate service for you.
    That's not quite true, there are many people here who are Verizon customers, and using their address here. One is a neighbor of mine across the street, and he said Verizon had no problem with it.

If AT&T plans to roll out HSPA+ to their entire footprint by the end of this year, they had better get with it! Because it would be tantamount to Verizon completing the rollout of their LTE system, area-wise in just one year! I don't see that happening. I would be fine with it, in that case I would gladly go back to AT&T, but again, I don't see that happening, because, as I have said before, AT&T has no 3G anywhere in this quarter of the state except one town to begin with, and this town I live in is the only town in the state that they do not have a site in. The AT&T store manager promised that would be taken care of by the end of LAST year but that did not happen either. So you will forgive me if my faith in AT&T is just a bit less than complete.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hate seeing this coverage go as I use it several times a year. I don't see Sprint doing anything to replace this coverage since it isn't a metro area. I wonder if they could work on getting another partner nearby to cover some of those areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser09 View Post
    I hate seeing this coverage go as I use it several times a year. I don't see Sprint doing anything to replace this coverage since it isn't a metro area. I wonder if they could work on getting another partner nearby to cover some of those areas.
    You'll still have coverage, but it won't be 3G and you have to watch how much you use (so as to stay under Sprint's roaming limits). Your phone will definitely still work though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    You'll still have coverage, but it won't be 3G and you have to watch how much you use (so as to stay under Sprint's roaming limits). Your phone will definitely still work though.
    You were right yesterday. I did some more research and found the entire Sprint area was roaming for Sprint, despite the fact they showed part of it as being their native area. It is actually Pioneer territory. The end results of this development is that they are getting rid of two of their competitors (Sprint [CDMA]/CellularOne[GSM]), downgrading a roaming agreement with one and buying the other, leaving them in bed with one remaining one (Verizon), and T-Mobile and AT&T as the two GSM carriers, neither of which is ANY sort of threat as despite both of them having excellent coverage, they have virtually no 3G, and no plans to roll it out or anything else. In the end, a pretty good position for Pioneer.

Up till now, Sprint has always been the go-to carrier for the thousands of storm chasers who clog the Great Plains every year to take thousands of tourists on tours looking for tornadoes. That will all change now as well, and Pioneer is positioned to take complete advantage of that with their new LTE network.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Well I believe the rumor is the iPhone 5 will be out in Jul/August. Assuming LTE is up by then, you will have LTE and voice on your Verizon iPhone, which doesn't sound bad at all!

And yes. I could move to the house next to you tomorrow and use my phone there for the rest of my life and neither Pioneer nor Verizon could or would say anything to me. 1X sucks, I know! But once LTE is up, my Verizon experience would be the same as yours if you had an LTE phone through Pioneer. Of course, should the LTE network fail, you would fall back to 3G while I would fall back to 1X, assuming they don't get 3G roaming up and running, which I suspect they will.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Nope, that would be fine with me. 500Mb I think is the point where you start getting nasty notes from Sprint about roaming. My data use has been around 600Mb, but I could whittle that down easily with more wifi use instead of 3G.

I'm not really concerned about LTE, nothing I do with my phone requires that much data. But I do require 3G for streaming audio and video on occasion.

I will NOT give up my iPhone, that is my one hard & fast rule. If I have to sign up with Verizon in order to keep this one or a new one, I will. Call me spoiled, so be it! I harbor NO delusions that Pioneer will ever have the iPhone, that ship will never sail.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nope, that would be fine with me. 500Mb I think is the point where you start getting nasty notes from Sprint about roaming. My data use has been around 600Mb, but I could whittle that down easily with more wifi use instead of 3G.

I'm not really concerned about LTE, nothing I do with my phone requires that much data. But I do require 3G for streaming audio and video on occasion.
    If you scroll up, Sprint said they get nasty at around 350mb. Moreover, they state if you use a "majority" of your voice minutes off-network, things get sticky. Unless they "grandfather" you into a safe haven, I doubt you will be allowed to remain with them once they make their adjustments come March.

My point about Verizon was once Pioneer gets LTE up, only Verizon and Pioneer will have data fast enough to stream audio or video. Unless Pioneer gets the iPhone, Verizon will be your only choice, assuming AT&T doesn't step it up out in your area.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast