Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 118

Thread: Sprint network in Kansas/Oklahoma

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lynyrd65 View Post
    I bet you can stay with sprint and bare it if you make sure your phone never updates the PRL and keep your usage under 2gb.

    I bet you get pretty good 3G speeds with pioneer. i get ~300-400kbps in Tulsa.
    I get 2.2 Mb regularly with Sprint right now, so when it switches to roaming and 1X, I won't be staying with Sprint. When Pioneer/Verizon get their LTE network turned on I will jump ship. I talked to some other Sprint users today and they will be doing the same. We get great service right now, so dropping back to 1X is NOT acceptable!

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    73
    Device(s)
    Sprint Galaxy S III
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you can keep your prl you will continue to have 3G speeds, if you stay under 1 or 2 gb I doubt Sprint will do anything . Also, if you go nuts with it after the change is made, you can get out of your contract free.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    524
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5x
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    What kind of deal did Sprint have with Pioneer that allowed Sprint to roam 100% but still claim the territory as "home" for them?

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hello all , glad to find this place and seems like a wealth of knowledge here , first off I am not here to off set or disprove any statement all ready made , but I would like to throw in a few known facts, I live in the heart of S.W. Oklahoma , where this is going on and have a deep knowledge of all this going on , first off Sprint has no towers in S.W. Oklahoma that are owned by them, it has always been a SRA with pioneer starting at I-40 south and from I-44 west as shown in this map http://www.cellreception.com/towers/...s&state_abr=ok and I have had them since the day the SRA was in place, now with that being said I live in one of 4 counties in S.W. Ok that you cant even get ATT service , Greer County, Jackson County , Harmon County ATT wont even sell you cell phone service here! and T-Mobile has only 2G At best if you hold you mouth right .. lol ... I am a administrator for a EMS service here and life's do sometimes depend on my phone to work and have worked closely with the PRL people at Sprint Corp in Kansas to make sure that we have a multi purpose PRl for that reason, and in doing so have made many of miles around this county with the sprint and pioneer people in there units to make sure this happens, now on the flip side of this sprint did have the chance to offer what Verizon was going to do and refused and said in there own words that they are going to start to concentrate on the main interstates and cities as seen here , http://newsok.com/sprint-to-rely-mor...rticle/3640889 now i do understand that business is just that business , but in the end me and my Ambulance Service and many other of the 260,000 people in 32 different counties have paid sprint massive amounts of money and have has perfect service , i am not gripping but when i am told that i may or may not even have voice service that is totally unacceptable to me, even with no EfT , I have money tied up in sprint phone and the new ones I will now have to get from Verizon , because I can go with Verizon , US Cellular , or T-Mobile , or of course Pioneer which there price are really high with no government discount, anyway sorry for the long intrusion , hope i help and didn't make anyone mad , and look forward to the new 4G that we would have never had other wise

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    3,870
    Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
    What kind of deal did Sprint have with Pioneer that allowed Sprint to roam 100% but still claim the territory as "home" for them?
    It was a roaming-as-native arrangement under the Sprint Rural Alliance.
    Thrill me...

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_augie View Post
    Hello all , glad to find this place and seems like a wealth of knowledge here , first off I am not here to off set or disprove any statement all ready made , but I would like to throw in a few known facts, I live in the heart of S.W. Oklahoma , where this is going on and have a deep knowledge of all this going on , first off Sprint has no towers in S.W. Oklahoma that are owned by them, it has always been a SRA with pioneer starting at I-40 south and from I-44 west as shown in this map http://www.cellreception.com/towers/...s&state_abr=ok and I have had them since the day the SRA was in place, now with that being said I live in one of 4 counties in S.W. Ok that you cant even get ATT service , Greer County, Jackson County , Harmon County ATT wont even sell you cell phone service here! and T-Mobile has only 2G At best if you hold you mouth right .. lol ... I am a administrator for a EMS service here and life's do sometimes depend on my phone to work and have worked closely with the PRL people at Sprint Corp in Kansas to make sure that we have a multi purpose PRl for that reason, and in doing so have made many of miles around this county with the sprint and pioneer people in there units to make sure this happens, now on the flip side of this sprint did have the chance to offer what Verizon was going to do and refused and said in there own words that they are going to start to concentrate on the main interstates and cities as seen here , http://newsok.com/sprint-to-rely-mor...rticle/3640889 now i do understand that business is just that business , but in the end me and my Ambulance Service and many other of the 260,000 people in 32 different counties have paid sprint massive amounts of money and have has perfect service , i am not gripping but when i am told that i may or may not even have voice service that is totally unacceptable to me, even with no EfT , I have money tied up in sprint phone and the new ones I will now have to get from Verizon , because I can go with Verizon , US Cellular , or T-Mobile , or of course Pioneer which there price are really high with no government discount, anyway sorry for the long intrusion , hope i help and didn't make anyone mad , and look forward to the new 4G that we would have never had other wise
    Thanks for the input, it's nice to hear from someone new. After all this, it is nice to know that we will have another option sometime soon, in LTE from Pioneer/Verizon. Pioneer is expensive, but at least they do have the ENTIRE area covered with 3G right now, which is something no other carrier can say. They made the investment while other carriers (Sprint) just piggybacked via roaming, and Pioneer should be rewarded for that investment IMHO.

    We do have AT&T north of I-40, but they've made no investment in upgrading to HSPA+ or LTE, despite announced upgrade plans every year with no actual results. We also have some T-Mobile, although like you said, it is only EDGE, as they have nothing higher anywhere else in the state except tiny areas around Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

    Pioneer likes to be the dominant player in their areas, and with Sprint dropping to roaming there is one less full-scale competitor. Also Pioneer is buying out CellularOne, a GSM carrier who operates north of I-40, so that is 2 competitors out of the arena. Pioneer will be in the catbird seat with 3G everywhere and a nice shiny new LTE system, while everyone else sits in the dark ages.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,229
    Device(s)
    Motorola Timeport P8167 (IS-95A)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    I have no idea what AT&T is bellyaching about! Sprint was roaming off Pioneer before and they are roaming now. It was not like Sprint abandoned their own infrastructure and now is roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    When I read the articles too I was started laughing as well! AT&T needs to get their facts straight. Sprint never had a network there! HAHAHA.... The people posting comments on the articles around the net believe AT&T. It must be true if you saw it on the internet, right?!
    Exactly. AT&T is trying to spin this into a firestorm against the FCC roaming rules, making it look like Sprint is taking advantage by decommissioning cell sites and taking spectrum out of service to somehow save money by roaming. Of course, none of that is true, certainly not the case with the Sprint-Pioneer coverage in Kansas and Oklahoma.

    Earlier this week, AT&T's Bob Quinn put a post on AT&T's Public Policy Blog accusing Sprint of "disinvestment" in rural areas, using the Kansas and Oklahoma coverage as an example:

    http://attpublicpolicy.com/wireless/...disinvestment/

    This morning, I posted a rebuttal that takes Quinn and AT&T to task for putting up a blog that so grossly distorts the facts -- as it completely ignores (or is unaware) that Sprint made an investment in Pioneer by assigning it spectrum to build out the coverage areas in question -- and that conveniently omits that AT&T is guilty of many of the same charges that it levies against Sprint:

    http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/ATTs-charg...crisy/blog.htm

    This afternoon, Quinn is back for round two:

    http://attpublicpolicy.com/broadband...ing-round-two/

    AJ

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,229
    Device(s)
    Motorola Timeport P8167 (IS-95A)
    Feedback Score
    0
    ggore, when you signed a contract for Sprint service, did you provide a billing address in the city where you currently live? And, more importantly, were you assigned a phone number that is a local exchange for that city?

    AJ

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
    ggore, when you signed a contract for Sprint service, did you provide a billing address in the city where you currently live? And, more importantly, were you assigned a phone number that is a local exchange for that city?

    AJ
    Yes, I signed up for Sprint service with my billing address here where I live. I signed up online on Sprint's website and they shipped my new iPhone to me here. My phone number is in this same area code but is not a local exchange number. From looking at other people's cellphone numbers here, none of them are local exchanges, no matter what the carrier, but all are in this area code.
    Last edited by ggore; 01-26-2012 at 05:21 PM.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
    Exactly. AT&T is trying to spin this into a firestorm against the FCC roaming rules, making it look like Sprint is taking advantage by decommissioning cell sites and taking spectrum out of service to somehow save money by roaming. Of course, none of that is true, certainly not the case with the Sprint-Pioneer coverage in Kansas and Oklahoma.

    Earlier this week, AT&T's Bob Quinn put a post on AT&T's Public Policy Blog accusing Sprint of "disinvestment" in rural areas, using the Kansas and Oklahoma coverage as an example:

    http://attpublicpolicy.com/wireless/...disinvestment/

    This morning, I posted a rebuttal that takes Quinn and AT&T to task for putting up a blog that so grossly distorts the facts -- as it completely ignores (or is unaware) that Sprint made an investment in Pioneer by assigning it spectrum to build out the coverage areas in question -- and that conveniently omits that AT&T is guilty of many of the same charges that it levies against Sprint:

    http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/ATTs-charg...crisy/blog.htm

    This afternoon, Quinn is back for round two:

    http://attpublicpolicy.com/broadband...ing-round-two/

    AJ
    Wow, amazing and excellent rebuttal to AT&T! You hit on many points I have made in several of the threads here over the past few months, and I have been mocked and taken to task MANY times for those points, but I hand it to you, you did an excellent job.

    Some of those points have been building the bare minimum to hold onto licenses and sitting on licenses for years and not building anything, which you addressed very well in your article.

    But all in all, very good job. This town where I live is in a valley, a dead spot that the town has been trying to get AT&T to fix for years and years, and despite thousands of Mark the Spot reports and efforts by the town, we have been ignored. This is the ONLY town in northwest Oklahoma that AT&T does not have a site in. I have said this ad nauseum on here, and have been told MANY times to just forget about it, AT&T doesn't care about some small town, regardless of the fact that it is the county seat, etc, and there are other carriers available, so I voted with my money by switching to Sprint. And now that choice is essentially being taken away because I will probably not be allowed to roam 100% of the time. But again, there are other choices coming available soon, Pioneer/Verizon and their LTE, while AT&T sits here with their EDGE, T-Mobile sits here with their EDGE, and Sprint with their 1X roaming. And they will wonder why no one will sign up with them since they are spending "billions every year to expand our networks". They sure aren't spending it here!

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,229
    Device(s)
    Motorola Timeport P8167 (IS-95A)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Yes, I signed up for Sprint service with my billing address here where I live. I signed up online on Sprint's website and they shipped my new iPhone to me here. My phone number is in this same area code but is not a local exchange number. From looking at other people's cellphone numbers, none of them are local exchanges, no matter what the carrier, but all are in this area code.
    Interesting. But that policy seems flawed. Like it or not, a person in your situation should never have been allowed to contract for service with Sprint because you are in a market that Sprint deeded to Pioneer. I am not privy to the Sprint Rural Alliance contract with Pioneer, but I find it hard to fathom that the contract would allow Sprint to compete head to head with Pioneer for subs in the markets that it partitioned to Pioneer.

    Now, just to be clear, I am not faulting you at all. From what you described above, you did everything right and in good faith. So, Sprint is the one that needs to take responsibility for signing up subs that it never should have had in the first place.

    AJ

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
    Interesting. But that policy seems flawed. Like it or not, a person in your situation should never have been allowed to contract for service with Sprint because you are in a market that Sprint deeded to Pioneer. I am not privy to the Sprint Rural Alliance contract with Pioneer, but I find it hard to fathom that the contract would allow Sprint to compete head to head with Pioneer for subs in the markets that it partitioned to Pioneer.

    Now, just to be clear, I am not faulting you at all. From what you described above, you did everything right and in good faith. So, Sprint is the one that needs to take responsibility for signing up subs that it never should have had in the first place.

    AJ
    No one at Sprint ever batted an eye. And there are Sprint stores in this area as well, so going head to head with Pioneer was not an issue I guess. Who knows.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,229
    Device(s)
    Motorola Timeport P8167 (IS-95A)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    You are exactly right. Here is a graphic I pulled today from Sprint's website:

    Attachment 78086
    If you are interested, here are the Sprint-Pioneer PCS 1900 MHz license partitions on file with the FCC. You can see the truly native Sprint coverage corridors along I-40 west and I-44 through Lawton, as well as a blob of truly native coverage over Enid. The other areas in red are counties that Sprint has partitioned in part or whole and disaggregated spectrum to Pioneer.

    AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
    If you are interested, here are the Sprint-Pioneer PCS 1900 MHz license partitions on file with the FCC. You can see the truly native Sprint coverage corridors along I-40 west and I-44 through Lawton, as well as a blob of truly native coverage over Enid. The other areas in red are counties that Sprint has partitioned in part or whole and disaggregated spectrum to Pioneer.

    AJ
    Thanks very much. Those areas jibe with what Sprint says they will be keeping as "native" after March 1. Their coverage in Oklahoma will consist of only the tiny areas adjacent to all the interstate highways and a couple of the turnpikes, as well as the 5 largest cities in the state. It will be interesting to see if this is a harbinger of what they intent to do in the rest of the country.

    Mr Quinn's response to your article was a laugher. His insistence that AT&T has spent billions upgrading their system around the country and is rolling out LTE as "fast as they can" is belied by the fact they have not upgraded ANYTHING in the area Sprint is vacating, and that is the subject of all this hoohaa. He conveniently avoided mentioning or acknowledging that fact. It is completely EDGE-only except along the Interstates and 4 tower sites in/around Woodward. The rest is all EDGE and has never been upgraded.

    I submitted a comment to his posting yesterday. It was accepted, for moderation, but never posted. I'm not surprised.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am glad sprint did this made it easier to ETF out and now on Verizon and never happier. Getting service in areas we never had before, much faster and 4g speeds and have unlimited data offered when we started the contract. Plus any mobile anytime is offered here to on verizon.Maybe more expensive but its nice to be able to use my phone whenever I want to not when sprints network decides I am allowed to.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 10:34 PM
  2. Sprint network problem
    By Moleman in forum Sprint
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2002, 03:25 PM
  3. Sprints network
    By Moleman in forum Sprint
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2002, 03:11 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2002, 08:01 PM
  5. Treo 270 on the Sprint network
    By adamr in forum Sprint
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2002, 09:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks