Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alltel About To Cancel My Service Due To Voice Roaming?!

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budone View Post
    When you speak of THEM seeing you have been a customer since 2006, they are sale reps. Nothing more. They have zippo say in what corporate is going to do.

In fact Alltel and all other companies CAN and DO change TOS. They must give notice, they have, and let you go without an ETF, They are. Alltel that we knew and loved is no more. For this company to survive they need to stop the bleeding. Unfortunately, to do so, they are also alienating what few customers they do have.

I looked up revenue for Alltel. in the 3rd quarter of 2011, revenue from retail services dropped $20 million from the 3rd quarter of 2010. Not good for a industry where revenue is going up sharply due to data.

Here is some add'l info

MAR 2011 JUN 2011 SEP 2011
    Beginning sub number 717,745 674,080 638,839
    Ending sub number 674,080 638,839 592,620

Net Additions of subs (43,665) (35,241) (46,219)

Basically Alltel is bleeding subs
    They are staying profitable by cutting costs to the bone, see the Commnet financial model if you have any doubt. Unfortunately these guys have no clue on how to please customers. I wish the FCC would have requested Verizon to sell to a new entrant other than Commnet. Of course, Verizon went along with this and wanted these six markets to go to Commnet because they knew Commnet's incompetence would give them a virtual and natural monopoly in these six markets. In the other 18 markets AT&T gave them a bid they could not turn down.

There's plenty of blame to go around... But I am almost to the point where I wish VZW would have been allowed to take all spectrum and customers in these six markets that went to ATNI. I never dreamed that I would be saying that. In your case, Kyle, you would have your old Alltel plan grandfathered in on The Network. This is, unfortunately, another case of government meddling gone bad with the FCC's asinine request to sell the 24 divestures to "new entrants" thereby discouraging AT&T for bidding for the other six markets. The FCC is the ultimate party to blame in your predicament.

Also note Atlantic Tele Network, the owners of the six Alltel properties in question, do not own the Alltel name, Verizon owns it and is licensing it to ATN. That alone should raise eyebrows.

http://talkbusiness.net/2010/06/alli...d-above-water/
    Last edited by fraydog; 01-27-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    LG AX4270
    Carrier(s)
    ALLTEL Divested (SID 114, NID 7) & Also Force Roam On Verizon (SID 139, NID 103)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Verizon went along with this and wanted these six markets to go to Commnet because they knew Commnet's incompetence would give them a virtual and natural monopoly in these six markets. In the other 18 markets AT&T gave them a bid they could not turn down.
    This is one reason ATNI should have been allowed access to the entire Verizon network without having to pay roaming rates. Like ATNI stands a chance against the Verizon network, and this includes many areas that used to be Alltel. Current customers had the home coverage area reduced by 95%. The old Alltel didn't care if you roamed all the time, and now that the new company probably has about 500 towers nationwide (I think that's about right) it's really restrictive and theres almost no hope unless you stay in these home markets if you use your phone alot. Really sad for everyone.

In your case, Kyle, you would have your old Alltel plan grandfathered in on The Network. This is, unfortunately, another case of government meddling gone bad with the FCC's asinine request to sell the 24 divestures to "new entrants" thereby discouraging AT&T for bidding for the other six markets. The FCC is the ultimate party to blame in your predicament.
    Greenville/Spartanburg SC was Alltel until Verizon bought that market, that's less than 20 miles away and I go there often. Now a customer in Gaffney who goes to Spartanburg (MANY people commute to the former markets) has to watch how much they use the phone down there, that alone is a total inconvenience. When I signed up for Alltel in 2006 that wasn't the case. Even though the home market is just my county pretty much, People shouldn't have to suffer because the rest of the network went away. I can however watch my usage while roaming and still be ok. I left my phone on Verizon alot of the time so I wouldn't have to deal with the coverage border 5 miles from my house, it goes right thru the town of Cowpens SC, which sits on the county line. There, Alltel phones bounce back & forth from Alltel to Verizon.

Also note Atlantic Tele Network, the owners of the six Alltel properties in question, do not own the Alltel name, Verizon owns it and is licensing it to ATN. That alone should raise eyebrows.
    They might as well be calling it Allied Wireless now because it definitely isn't "Alltel," how many customers remember it. Thats not to say they're not ok, they are with a few things. I wanna stay with them because I like my phone & it's the cheapest option for my needs.

Talking to the Alltel Offline Department is like talking to a brick wall, they don't listen even when your right. Can't believe we have to go thru them to fix the issue. I'll likely be porting my number to Straight Talk, and adding a line to my Alltel account for use with my current phone but with a different number, (I'll have 3 total lines on Alltel + Straight Talk) and after 1 month I'll try to port my number back, and if I can't then I'll just keep my phone as it is but with a different number. Alltel will be paying for the whole thing anyway.

http://talkbusiness.net/2010/06/alli...d-above-water/[/QUOTE]
    CDMA....Coming soon to a tower near you!
    Alltel user since September 5, 2006 - I'm proud to still be with them !!!

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleMelissa22 View Post
    This is one reason ATNI should have been allowed access to the entire Verizon network without having to pay roaming rates. Like ATNI stands a chance against the Verizon network, and this includes many areas that used to be Alltel. Current customers had the home coverage area reduced by 95%. The old Alltel didn't care if you roamed all the time, and now that the new company probably has about 500 towers nationwide (I think that's about right) it's really restrictive and theres almost no hope unless you stay in these home markets if you use your phone alot. Really sad for everyone.

http://talkbusiness.net/2010/06/alli...d-above-water/
    I really do sympathize for your plight. I believe the merger and acquisition of these properties was approved because the FCC wanted a new entrant and wanted a company with the competency to be a nationwide competitor. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. ATN has proven they care not about keeping the promises they made in taking over these licenses to the FCC.

I agree in principle that roaming should be free for Alltel on the entire Verizon network for a certain number of years until the mobile industry is fully transitioned onto LTE. However, Alltel is paying the same rate on Verizon that other rural CDMA carriers were assured of in the approval of the Verizon/Alltel merger. If they refuse to pay for the same privileges, it is their right as a company but customers also have the right to leave. In this case, I do want to be more sensitive. You are in an area that does not have a great amount of choices. However, in Southern Illinois, which is a very transient market with people who travel frequently in and out of the CMA, this policy has netted a lot of customers who have been forced out. If, say AT&T or USCC had acquired Alltel, in almost all the markets in question they would have neighboring properties. Ultimately I think ATN got in over their heads. It's sad, but I think Alltel is on the way to finally disappearing.

I hope things work out well on StraightTalk and I'm eager to hear back from you in the future.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Kyle,
    Before you leave permanently, try porting twice. First, go to a prepaid service, it could even be Alltel's own (Straighttalk is OK, too), Then, after that is successfully working, port back to Alltel.

They may have made a mistake by claiming your roaming was with "data", but they are within their rights to terminate accounts that are losing them money. The new Alltel has been pretty friendly about crediting accounts when you get booted off, so, while unfortunate, it could be worse.
    Bill Radio
    Mountain Wireless Network Reports & Ratings,
    Coverage Maps,
    Wireless Roaming

Device(s)
    LG AX4270
    Carrier(s)
    ALLTEL Divested (SID 114, NID 7) & Also Force Roam On Verizon (SID 139, NID 103)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Billradio View Post
    Kyle,
    Before you leave permanently, try porting twice. First, go to a prepaid service, it could even be Alltel's own (Straighttalk is OK, too), Then, after that is successfully working, port back to Alltel.
    I ported my number to Straight Talk successfully for now, my phone is on the Verizon network. My service is good until March 4th. At around that time I'm gonna attempt to port my number back to Alltel. I tried to add a new line to my Alltel account yesterday over the phone, but I was told they are only adding lines in retail stores now to curb "fraud." You'd also have to show an ID/drivers license in the store. As I said it, I proved who I was over the phone, and a number we've added previously was over the phone as well. The rep said we'll only activate over the phone if you just bought a phone and went under contract. That makes no sense. I'm gonna goto the Alltel store in Gaffney with my dad and add a line there later today, so I'll have 2 phones for the rest of the month. After the month is out I'm gonna try to replace my Alltel (new) number with my Straight Talk (old) number. I wonder if they backlist ESNs, either way I have 2 Alltel LG AX4270 phones I could activate, one of them is unused. I look forward to what will happen with this in the next month, if I can't port back I'm just gonna keep a new number on Alltel.

Quote Originally Posted by Billradio View Post
    They may have made a mistake by claiming your roaming was with "data", but they are within their rights to terminate accounts that are losing them money. The new Alltel has been pretty friendly about crediting accounts when you get booted off, so, while unfortunate, it could be worse.
    My account was credited $209.99 yesterday ($150 + 59.99) for the whole experience, that will take care of at least 2 bills on the account with some left over for a 3rd bill. It's not to easy to move our 3 lines (now theres 2 still on Alltel) somewhere else, it's not really even in my power. My father owns the account and he wants to stay if possible, and Melissa is in NJ (barely uses her phone there) so it's a hassle getting a phone up there, but they won't care if she's under the roaming cap. No matter what happens I just wanna be able to use my phone the way I've been and pay about the same, right now it's $40 a month (for the 2 added lines total) which is about half the cost of the account, $80-$90.

Alltel should be allowed free access to Verizon's network for at least the next 3 years since it is a new entrant and theres almost no way to compete under these circumstances and new rules. It's very weird how Straight Talk can afford $45 a month unlimited on the Verizon network (or AT&T), yet Alltel which had their home coverage area decrease 95% can't, or even benefit at all in the areas it used to serve. Seems like ultimately it's the customers fault for Verizon buying the rest of the Alltel network. Hope you know what I mean.

Device(s)
    LG AX4270
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm back up to 3 lines on my Alltel account. I was able to add a line in the retail store with no trouble at all yesterday. I even got to choose the new number (from a list of 5 numbers), and I'm using the same exact phone that I was using before. I'm surprised they didn't block my phone from being reused.

In a month or two I'm gonna try to port my old number (now on the new phone) replacing the new number (now on my old phone). Sounds confusing, but I want my old number on my old phone. We'll see if that can happen again. If not, then I'll just keep the new number.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    No, Alltel should NOT be granted free use of Verizon's network! That is absolutely crazy... To expect Verizon to have to pay for a horrendous investment of ATN? ATN is paying the same roaming rates as Sprint, as Pioneer, as Bluegrass, as Appalachian, and as US Cellular is. Yet they are imposing these conditions on customers to make up for their own lack of competence? You should be in touch with the FCC... Honestly, you're a solid edge case for being completely on Verizon prepaid ($5 more than Straight Talk).

If the other providers I mention can compete, it's not an uneven playing field.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    What percentage of alltel was not absorbed by vz?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    What percentage of alltel was not absorbed by vz?
    1/3.

75% of that went to AT&T, the rest went to ATN. So we're talking a microscopic portion.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1/3.

75% of that went to AT&T, the rest went to ATN. So we're talking a microscopic portion.
    Is there a coverage map of their actual native coverage area? Just looked at their no contract coverage map and it looks basically like a copy of a Boost/Virgin Mobile coverage map.
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    1/3.

An even smaller piece became Element Mobile in WI

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.576 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan702
    1/3.

Is there a coverage map of their actual native coverage area? Just looked at their no contract coverage map and it looks basically like a copy of a Boost/Virgin Mobile coverage map.
    The prepaid map looks like that because that is where they roam on sprint for less than verizon. That is so much more than there native coverage. If you compare the boost cdma map and the prepaid map look for places where alltel has more coverage and that's mostly the area they have coverage.The local alltel store here has a map they don't normally show that's actual. Its very very small

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reveries3 View Post
    They probably have some stipulation against roaming excessively. From the sounds of it, you do use thousands of roaming minutes...

But hopefully they'll be lenient and more agreeable in person, and won't cancel your line. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC Panache using HowardForums
    Can Alltel not roam freely on Verizon in Spartanburg? I have friends with Alltel from Gaffney and we would go to spartanburg and theyre phones would work just fine on Verizon. Gaffney is 20min from me lol
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    LG AX4270
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Can Alltel not roam freely on Verizon in Spartanburg? I have friends with Alltel from Gaffney and we would go to spartanburg and theyre phones would work just fine on Verizon. Gaffney is 20min from me lol
    Alltel can roam fine on either Sprint or Verizon in Spartanburg (Sprint is now preferred in the PRL). What irks me is that all former Alltel areas (that went to Verizon) are now off limits for excess usage, or at least what they call excessive. I've been using my phone and same plan for 6 years, 5-10 thousand minutes every month with at least 50% roaming. And it is not the customer's fault for neighboring markets going to Verizon. When I signed up with Alltel in 2006 the whole state of SC was native Alltel, at least make it where that could still be the case (I should've been grandfathered in with that coverage) instead now I gotta watch how much I use my phone when I leave Gaffney, now even to Spartanburg, which is very often.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hog View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.576 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The prepaid map looks like that because that is where they roam on sprint for less than verizon. That is so much more than there native coverage. If you compare the boost cdma map and the prepaid map look for places where alltel has more coverage and that's mostly the area they have coverage.The local alltel store here has a map they don't normally show that's actual. Its very very small
    That makes sense. I figured that there was some sort of small relationship between ATNI and Sprint as I noticed on the FCC spectrum dashboard that they lease a 5x5 slice spectrum from Sprint for a couple of rural counties here in Nevada. I'm guessing that they use it to offer service under their Commnet and/or Choice Wireless brands.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast