Thread: Windows Mobile 6.1 +WIFI + No Sim + Free Calls Out

Feedback Score

Windows Mobile 6.1 +WIFI + No Sim + Free Calls Out

Hi please help. I have an unlocked phone (Windows Mobile 6.1) with no sim card that I am able to surf the net on my WIFI, but have not figured out how to make a call. I am able to sign in to my Gmail account where I have GV and can dial a number. It calls my home phone, which is what it is set up to do.

My question is what do I need to add to get a free phone number and then my GV can call it, which would be my cell phone? Do I need anything else? Again, just looking for a reliable and FREE way to make outbound calls to anyone in the US. Meaning not Skype or Fringe where free calls are to other members.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You want to make free calls? Don't we all!

Not free, but I have a similar phone (Motorola Q9M using CDMA and WM6.0) that was originally dedicated to Verizon. For just $10 I was able to get it on a PagePlus plan. PagePlus uses Verizon's network.

The point isn't to spam PagePlus, just to point out that a phone that was originally locked to a particular network may also be compatible with a cut-rate plan that contracts with that network. You just need to find out which major network your phone was originally set up for, then google around for cut-rate plans based on the same network. Also read reviews for these plans because quality and support do vary.

You also need to make sure your phone isn't blacklisted. I'm a newbie so I can't post a link but you can google it up.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ar3582 View Post
    Hi please help. I have an unlocked phone (Windows Mobile 6.1) with no sim card that I am able to surf the net on my WIFI, but have not figured out how to make a call. I am able to sign in to my Gmail account where I have GV and can dial a number. It calls my home phone, which is what it is set up to do.

My question is what do I need to add to get a free phone number and then my GV can call it, which would be my cell phone? Do I need anything else? Again, just looking for a reliable and FREE way to make outbound calls to anyone in the US. Meaning not Skype or Fringe where free calls are to other members.

Thanks!
    One of the lowest price minute plans I've seen is H2O mobile, an AT&T MVNO. You get an H2O SIM card from Amazon for a penny and then activate the phone (and get a phone number) with an H2O Wireless $10 / 200 minute / 90 day card. If you don't use a lot of minutes, that's $3.33 a month.

To get the phone working on H2O Wireless, you have to do the following:

1. First, get an H2O SIM. Make sure to get a SIM that says "SMART SIM". (I got mine on Amazon for $1.00 or less. Don't pay the $10 that H2O Wireless charges on their website). Make sure to order the correct size SIM for your phone. The SIM in this link is both Standard and Micro size: http://www.amazon.com/H2O-Wireless-U...dp/B00C0DL9FK/

2. Next, go to Calling Mart, https://www.callingmart.com/, register and create an account then buy an H2O airtime card (either a minute plan or a monthly plan). You can activate the phone with as little as a $10 - 200 minute/90 day card.

You will need the PIN number from your purchase in order to activate the SIM and Phone on the H2O Wireless website. The PIN number will be displayed at checkout and will also be emailed to you.

3. Next, go to the H2O Wireless website,https://www.h2owirelessnow.com, and create an account. Finally, activate the SIM, Phone IMEI and enter the minutes card PIN number. After filling out the online Activation form, your new H2O phone number will be displayed and emailed to you.

Insert the H2O sim in the phone, and turn on the phone. H2O wireless will activate the sim and phone. Any "invalid SIM" error message will go away and the phone will display Signal Bars. It should then be able to receive and make phone calls.

H2O will send you an instant message, "The terminal cannot be configured remotely, please contact Customer support for further assistance". This just means you have to enter the APN information manually into your cell phone.

Here's how to enter the APN info on your cell phone:

-SETTINGS:

APN: att.mvno
    USER NAME: (leave blank)
    PASSWORD: (leave blank)
    AUTHENTICATION TYPE: (grayed out - PAP)
    WAP GATEWAY (URL): proxy.mvno.H2Omobileweb.com (make sure the "O" in H2O is a capital letter, not number)
    WAP GATEWAY PORT: 80
    MMSC (URL): http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMSC PORT: 80
    MAXIMUM MMS SIZE: 300
    Is a Telegram a metric e-mail?

Feedback Score
    That's great to know. Although my phone is CDMA, DW and I have a sideline of providing homestays for foreign students while they study English for one to several months at a nearby school. These students invariably arrive with GSM phones and several have paid steep rates with T-Mobile. We got that down to a $10 SIM plus $25/month with "Ultra Mobile" but your method has this beat. So if I can pre-buy SIM cards on Amazon and have them on hand, we will be able to get GSM phones connected right away AND save our students a substantial amount.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ar3582 View Post

Thanks!
    Cost of a handset only, Republic Wireless makes it seamless, $5 a month for WiFi only, $10 when you want to use the Sprint network regular cell service.

Otherwise roll your own with GV + other VOIPs

Viber, Fring, Zoiper, Bria CCS, voip.ms, Callcentric, Anveo, Ooma, Obihai

Not "free" but close enough if you're high-volume.

Remember even if free to you, they have to pay to connect to the POTS network - if you aren't paying then you are the product.

Good to have a real cell # for 911 and when away from WiFi.