Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are Sprint's data speeds so HORRIBLE?

Feedback Score

Why are Sprint's data speeds so HORRIBLE?

I've been a loyal Verizon subscriber for 3+ years and have been dying to get the Galaxy S II. Ofcourse verizon decided not to carry it because it makes the IPhone look like an overpriced POS and apple would never allow that. So at the first of the year i started a new job that offers me a 12% discount a month on Sprint so i just ordered a Galaxy S II last weekend and have had it for a few days. The phone itself is a gem and everything i want but the Data where i live is absolutely atrocious. I live in Wilkes Barre, Pa and i cannot get over how bad it is.

For Example

The 2/15 run is from my Work and even tho the ping is a lot better those data speeds are GARBAGE.

Now take that above and compare it to this and the speeds are so freakin bad that since my WiFi is down i had to take a picture of the picture i took of the speed test because after 5 minutes it still hadn't uploaded.

Is Sprint this bad all over the country? Hoping 4G can help sprint out but in the meantime i'm sending this phone back and canceling the service. No point in keeping a phone that takes 30 seconds to load facebook

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I get good performance. However when it comes to speedtests, results change upon method and server chosen.

For example, when I use mobile speedtest with the closest server I generally get extremely poor results not representative of the performance I experience.

If I tether to a computer and simply choose the server automatically chosen, I get much different results.

EDIT:

Just ran a speed test tethered @home

Last edited by 503ducati; 02-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just switched off of a mvno that used sprint and I live in Phoenix, AZ. My speeds had gotten slower which was part of my jumping off, but they were never that bad. I saw uploads of approx. .5mbps up and about .70mbps up. (go figure their upload being better...). The ping was all over the place from high 100ms to high 300ms.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    In my area of Long Island speed seems to be hit or miss. My local tower in 11545 has not been upgraded to better backhaul and Sprint reports no plans to upgrade in the next six months. I get perhaps 300-400kbps on it with my iPhone 4S. Near my office in 11702 and 11735, I get closer to 900kbps where they did do a backhaul upgrade.

I have found the data service to be so flaky that for the last couple of weeks I have left the cellular data turned off and run strictly WiFi. Yes it makes the iPhone basically an iPod Touch 4 that happens to be able to make phone calls but it seemed pointless to leave the data turned on when it was sucking the battery dry and not returning much benefit. I should note that the phone was provided by my employer and I do not pay for the service so I really could care less if the data works or not (if it had been my purchase I would have returned everything in the ten day return window and even offered to do that but was turned down). In most places I need data, I get Optimum WiFi from the Cablevision (also my employers service as we have Business Optimum Online) and that works very well. The only time I really need cellular data is to get any voicemail which is a rare occurrence.

My total data usage on Sprint last month came in around 5MB (according to my account details) which consisted of speed tests, some data (that was friggin' slow) and voicemail. On the bright side, it is unlimited :/
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Karnage

Is Sprint this bad all over the country? Hoping 4G can help sprint out but in the meantime i'm sending this phone back and canceling the service. No point in keeping a phone that takes 30 seconds to load facebook
    No, not all over the country but they have a lot of catching up to do.

Some days I hate them, most days they are ok and sometimes excellent. They fail miserably at consistency.

Did you go to www.network. sprint.com
    To see if your slated for any tower upgrades?

Sent from my Motorola Photon

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here is the link to the network improvements site: https://network.sprint.com/search/wilks+barre%2C+pa/

It looks like in the last 6 months, they made a lot of Voice upgrades, along with some data capacity upgrades. In the next 6 months, they have scheduled more data speed upgrades. Hope that helps.

For what its worth, Scranton/WB was an affiliate not too long ago who got a real half asses 3G build out. You are lucky you even have 3G there. A lot of places in PA are still 1x only.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys

Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    No, not all over the country but they have a lot of catching up to do.

Some days I hate them, most days they are ok and sometimes excellent. They fail miserably at consistency.

Did you go to www.network. sprint.com
    To see if your slated for any tower upgrades?

Sent from my Motorola Photon
    Looked up that site and in the next 6 months plan a data upgrade but whats the point in waiting 6 months? God this sucks. I could have lived with a meg up and a meg down for data because i love this phone but i cannot rationally spend 65 bucks a month on a phone with those data speeds. Its like burning money

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Here is the link to the network improvements site: https://network.sprint.com/search/wilks+barre%2C+pa/

It looks like in the last 6 months, they made a lot of Voice upgrades, along with some data capacity upgrades. In the next 6 months, they have scheduled more data speed upgrades. Hope that helps.

For what its worth, Scranton/WB was an affiliate not too long ago who got a real half asses 3G build out. You are lucky you even have 3G there. A lot of places in PA are still 1x only.
    And it shows. One thing Sprint has over Verizon in my area is the clarity of the voice calls. That might have mattered 10 years ago but today no one really talks on the phone. It's all texting and data.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n2jtx View Post
    In my area of Long Island speed seems to be hit or miss. My local tower in 11545 has not been upgraded to better backhaul and Sprint reports no plans to upgrade in the next six months. I get perhaps 300-400kbps on it with my iPhone 4S. Near my office in 11702 and 11735, I get closer to 900kbps where they did do a backhaul upgrade.
    You use Sprint up in Brookville???? That must be extremely frustrating. That area is terrible for all carriers, but Sprint more than any of them. At least T-Mobile uses a DAS network there, Sprint has nothing.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Karnage View Post
    And it shows. One thing Sprint has over Verizon in my area is the clarity of the voice calls. That might have mattered 10 years ago but today no one really talks on the phone. It's all texting and data.
    I could not agree more. I switched away from Sprint over a year ago due to crap-tastic data speeds. However, they are slowly getting better in places. Either switch now, or prepare to be in it for the long haul.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    I could not agree more. I switched away from Sprint over a year ago due to crap-tastic data speeds. However, they are slowly getting better in places. Either switch now, or prepare to be in it for the long haul.
    No need to switch as i still have an Active Verizon account. Simply going to return my GSII and cancel the service before the 14 days are up.

GSII would be amazing on Verizon's 4G LTE Network.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No need to switch as i still have an Active Verizon account. Simply going to return my GSII and cancel the service before the 14 days are up.
    That was smart to test drive it while keeping your Verizon account.

If T-Mobile works for you there I'd take a look at them if you really want that phone. They have great 4G speeds where available.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

GSII would be amazing on Verizon's 4G LTE Network.
    Smart move. That is the way to do it. Try out Sprint, if it doesn't work, throw the phone back at them. Problem solved.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

If T-Mobile works for you there I'd take a look at them if you really want that phone.
    The problem with T-Mobile in a small city like that is you can go from one tower that has 4G to the next tower which only has EDGE within half a mile. The 4G/3G coverage area is tiny.

Feedback Score

If T-Mobile works for you there I'd take a look at them if you really want that phone. They have great 4G speeds where available.
    I just looked into T-Mobile and the 4G coverage is spotty at best here as well. As much as i don't like verizon's phone selection they simply cannot be beat in my area when it comes to data speeds. Oh well.. Hoping they'll atleast carry the Galaxy S III

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You may hate this idea, but what about AT&T? They have HSPA+ deployed on a wider scale than T-Mo in your area, and they carry a GSII.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast