Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are Sprint's data speeds so HORRIBLE?

Feedback Score
    Fastest speedtest I ever ran on Sprint's towers was on an Epic 4G cloned onto boost mobile at 1.9mbps down and 800kbps up. That was also at 2AM in the morning in an area that is known to have decent Sprint speeds. Generally though I would see 200-500kbps down and sometimes under 100kbps up during the day. VZW consistently does around 700kbps-1.2mbps down during the day and way way faster at night. I see 1.6mpbs-2.3mbps down every night late. I had to ditch my $40/mo unlimited everything boost plan as I just could not take the data speeds anymore plus I had only suspended our grandfathered unlimited data VZW plans, not cancelled so that choice was made very easy. I only have 550 anytime minutes for two lines and since most ppl I know have VZW, my wife and I have yet to break 400 anytime minutes a month so meh...

As for the 4G service, well the Sprint 4G is not actually Sprint's they just rent it from Clearwire and its a totally different signal than the 3G. Its decently fast but not even in the same universe as VZW's LTE. Fastest I ever saw on a spoofed Wimax address on my boost phone was 12mpbs down in NYC. I don't have a LTE phone but a friend does and he showed me a 70mpbs speedtest from NYC in the middle of the day lol. Yeah...

However, my thought on Sprint is this. If you are someone upgrading from a dumbphone to a smartphone, I would ONLY get Sprint because of their unlimited, unthrottled data. In some spots it is terrible I agree, but the problem with the other carriers is that some of them are so fast that the tiered data plan becomes useless. Example, I could burn through 2gb of data on VZW LTE in about an hour no problem at all. With 3G it is very easy to stay under the 2GB cap, with FiOS like speeds of LTE, not so much. Same problem with HSPA+ on the GSM networks although T-Mobile still offers an unlimited plan that does not charge you more money if you go over the cap at least... When the iCrap 4S came out, a LOT of young guys at my work (Air Force) who did not have smartphones yet were upgrading or shelling out the $600 to get it off contract. Every single time I recommended that they go with Sprint unless they had grandfathered unlimited data from VZW or the Death Star. And to the Death Star guys I suggested they pay the ETF and switch to Sprint because their throttling practices are almost criminal. They'd still be in it around $600 with the ETF and the subsidized price but now they have unlimited data with 0 hard cap AT&T throttling.

Look, Sprint is either going to get there eventually and when they do, the people who had them as the only option for true unlimited data are going to be glad they chose them. Even with my two unlimited grandfathered VZW lines (VZW is not currently throttling LTE and only throttles 3G in congested areas) I am watching like a hawk for them to try to screw me like AT&T is doing to their customers. If and when that happens I will ditch them and do the Sprint dance to keep my unlimited data even if it means paying the ETFs although I will raise hell with the materially adverse clause. As was said before, it is fast enough to stream Slacker/Pandora and on a good day can watch HD Youtube vids. I liken the Sprint service to having a very tempermental car with a really really huge fuel tank. You'll never run out of gas (data) but it doesn't always get you where you want to go. The tiered LTE plans are like having a Ferrari with a 2 gallon gas tank. It's effing amazing as long as you keep your foot out of it which completely defeats the purpose of having it.

Feedback Score
    Well, I've been with Sprint since this past December and was getting annoyed at their slow speeds during the day (<1mb), so I decided to try some att mvnos and finally the official Death Star.
    I've been with post paid Att on an iPhone 4S for 3 days now and have been VERY disappointed, especially for the NYC market. I expected +4mb speeds but I have only been able to see those speeds once at 3am. It is very inconsistent throughout the city. I was in the Upper East Side today and barely broke 2mb; my Sprint 4S in the UES consistently hits 1.5-2mb in the UES.
    A few moments ago I was comparing them both by browsing through some sites,speed test app and music videos with the Vevo app and noticed that the Sprint 4S has much lower ping times than the ATT phone. For the most part websites loaded faster and videos began playing first on the Sprint. However, the Att 4S would usually download the video faster than the Sprint BUT it does not matter because even with 1.5-2mb the Sprint phone does not stutter.

I would take Sprints lower ping, consistent 2mb speeds any day over ATT's spotty service. Tomorrow I need to head out to Manhattan and plan on taking both to run some tests and compare. I need to settle on one quickly!
    On a side note, I never had data issues on my G2x on Tmobile. They have the best Hspa+ network in MY EXPERIENCE. always in the 4-5mb range, all the time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iag48st View Post
    I've been with post paid Att on an iPhone 4S for 3 days now and have been VERY disappointed, especially for the NYC market.
    It is pretty well known that the NYC market is terrible for AT&T. I switched from Sprint to AT&T in Phoenix in part because of horrible Sprint data speeds. But if I ever move to NYC (and there is a slim chance I may) I wouldn't expect to continue with AT&T once my contract was up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthroMatt View Post
    It is pretty well known that the NYC market is terrible for AT&T. I switched from Sprint to AT&T in Phoenix in part because of horrible Sprint data speeds. But if I ever move to NYC (and there is a slim chance I may) I wouldn't expect to continue with AT&T once my contract was up.
    Sprint has been surprisingly better here btw, everywhere in the east valley is sub 100ms ping times and at least 1.5Mbps lately, downtown is still sitting around 700k, but it's much better than it was
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Carrier(s)
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    AT&T suffers at times in NYC just from the sheer crush of iPhones on the network but my experience is even at their worst times they are faster than Sprint unless Sprint is having a good day then they would be at par. Over here in NJ my wife's iPhone on AT&T will at worse see 2 to 3mb/s down and often is often between 5 and 8mb/s.

I'd kill for some of your Sprint speeds. I'm stuck with 200 to 300 down and often the pings are the same which is a joke. I like my plan and would like to get an iPhone but I'm worried about being stuck with slow service for two years. If I new I could reliably get over 2mb down at some point in the future I would be happy with that but I don't know if Sprint can deliver that.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Epic D700
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    dumb question here.....

im using 3G speed (or so i think)...
    when using something like speedtest on android whats considered good??
    with ping the lower or higher the better??
    same question with mbps download or upload...

i figure its best i find out once and for all...

thanx

Device(s)
    LG V60 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gigolo13 View Post
    dumb question here.....

im using 3G speed (or so i think)...
    when using something like speedtest on android whats considered good??
    with ping the lower or higher the better??
    same question with mbps download or upload...

i figure its best i find out once and for all...

thanx
    You want the lowest when it comes to ping and the highest for down/up
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Epic D700
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCharmedOne View Post
    You want the lowest when it comes to ping and the highest for down/up
    thanx man!

Device(s)
    LG V60 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not a problem!

Device(s)
    9630 BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My favorite is when Sprint Reps like to tout their unlimited data. Useless data is a more accurate depiction. I have the Sprint Iphone and it is pretty much useless when I am not on a wifi. If you don't have Sprint don't bother porting over. This message will probably get flagged because I am slamming sprint.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.205 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

On att I download full songs in under 5 seconds. With sprint it takes 2-3 minutes. Tethering has become a joke lately also.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hog View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.205 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

On att I download full songs in under 5 seconds. With sprint it takes 2-3 minutes. Tethering has become a joke lately also.
    Totally agree. Other night I tried to use an RDP app to RDP to my PC from my iPhone and data speeds were so bad it wouldn't connect. I ran a speed test speeds were worse than 3g. I opened a case with Sprint and a rep has been checking with me at least every week for the past 2 weeks. Supposedly she has her engineers looking at the issue, but no improvements have been made. I may just try to tether as much data just so I get flagged and Sprint offers me to leave without an ETF.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Sprint data network problems began back with the Evo 4G. That phone is a data hog and was WAY more popular than Sprint had ever dreamed. It crushed the network. As Android exploded in popularity and Sprint picked up other models the problem only got worse. They were way late on upgrading the network and now it's desperation time. They're going full bore on the Network Vision upgrade program and *hopefully* we'll see a lot of bottlenecks alleviated.

Here's a good read on the problems: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...ceo-dan-hesse/

Device(s)
    Apple
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I laugh at Sprints unlimited claim. Well of course you can say its unlimited when the data speeds are so bad you can't even use it..

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elimcgrubber View Post
    I laugh at Sprints unlimited claim. Well of course you can say its unlimited when the data speeds are so bad you can't even use it..
    Unlimited 3G on EVO

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast