Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Porting number to $30 5GB plan after initial activation...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Porting number to $30 5GB plan after initial activation...

I'm just checking to see if I can port my Virgin Mobile number in after the fact.

I'd like to activate a T-Mobile phone on their $30 5GB plan for a couple weeks, and compare coverage and all that with Virgin Mobile where I work/live. If it's comparable or better, I'd like to make the switch permanent by then porting my Virgin Mobile number over to my T-Mobile account. Will T-Mobile prepaid let me do this, or will I have to cancel my $30 account with them and start a new one in order to make that happen?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    you can port your number. My recommendation would be to evaluate the service for a week or two with the number they give you and if you decide coverage is acceptable then request the port. Walmart will give you a 15 days to return the phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    The only thing I've heard is some difficulty porting into THAT specific plan -- the $30 plan is supposedly only for new activations. Though people have done it, so I guess if the first CSR you talks to gives you trouble about porting in, I'd hang up and try again.

For the other plans, yes, you can port in at any time for sure.
    Go GSM! Switch phones on demand.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had no trouble porting but I was a new activation. I don't fully understand the restriction unless it just prohibits someone already with t-mobile to port into that plan. The OP is coming from Virgin Mobile so there shouldn't be any problem.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quick question to those who have successfully ported to tmobile,When the tmobile rep asks for my vm account number, what should I provide?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I was on the 1500 minutes and texts, then I activated a sim on the 5GB and ported my number. After the port, my plan switched from 5GB to 1500. I called them and they fixed it. I believe they said they weren't really supposed to port the number, because of the "new activation only thing".
    HP Envy 14
    iPhone 5 16GB

Feedback Score
    Yes it can be done. I got it done on the first try. I tested out my Sensation for a week and then ported my number from VM at the end of its cycle.

My recommendation is to not throw around any technical terms. Simply tell the CSR what you want to do. "I have an existing T-Mobile prepaid account and I would like to bring in my number from Virgin Mobile." That's what I said and the rep immediately came back with "Yes, sir. We will bring your number from Virgin Mobile to your existing T-Mobile account. Your plan and balance will not be affected."

It took about 20 hours for the port to go through. I suggest giving yourself at least 72 hours before your VM expiration. I initiated the port only 8 hours before my VM plan expired, leaving my VM number unusable for the entire next morning.

Oh, and your VM account number is your 10-digit phone number.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info QE2. It's exactly what I did last night. Although I wasn't quite sure about the account number, it's what I gave them anyway.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a similar question.

My dad has been with Alltel since 2002, he wants to port his number over to the 1500mins/text plan.
    I have a new SIM kit that i bought on Tmobile's website plus a $30 pin number.

According to what i've read above, I can go ahead an activate the SIM and get a temporary number then just call in to get the port going.. My question is currently his Alltel service has been disrupted due to a late payment... He is planning to pay the last remaining fees on it but he doesn't really want to be charged for another month of service (Late Feb - March) with Alltel.

Will there be any problems attempting to port a number out currently as the service is disconnected yet its still an "active" account. He'd like to start the port process and payoff the remaining fees on Alltel so by the time the port goes through, he owes nothing to Alltel and he won't be charged for a new month of service.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    You can still port the number out as long as the account hasn't been closed. The FCC does not allow carriers to hold your phone number hostage even if you still owe them money. When the port goes through, his Alltel line will automatically be cancelled. You'll have to check with Alltel to see how long he has to pay his balance, but it will not affect porting.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ah my bad luck!! Just activated the new SIM card i ordered online, turns out its faulty.
    The phone i put it on keeps rebooting itself over and over. I put in the other SIM i already have activated and loads fine.

I called CS and they told me T-Mobile will replace the SIM for free at a store.. is this correct?

Feedback Score
    Thanks QE2. I followed your advice and it went smoothly.

I tried online chat first, but they don't do porting over chat. I then called 1-800-TMOBILE and one of the menu items was porting for existing customers. I initiated the port at 12:30p yesterday (Friday) and just received the confirmation text at 12:20p.

The CSR said the process would take 24 hours. I was expecting longer since it's the weekend, but I guess that didn't make a difference.

Feedback Score
    So I tried doing this pretty much right after I activated the phone. They said I have to wait 2 hours and try again. They also said that I need to call Virgin Mobile and ask them to release my phone number. Did they say this to any of you guys?

And just a question, will I lose my $25 Virgin Mob. plan when they port my phone number? Because I want to keep the plan, just move that number to T-Mobile since it's my primary phone #.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was never asked to call my original carrier (Alltel) while i was in the process of porting to T-Mo.
    All i was asked was details of the account with Alltel (last 4 digits code, name/address/account number)

I'm pretty sure once the port is complete your account with VM will be lost. Not sure if there's a way to avoid that.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Can't keep your plan at Virgin Mobile if your port out your number.

Sometimes you have to call the previous carrier to release the number, but that's up to the previous carrier. Happened to me several times with PagePlus. But I would still port out with TMobile and just hope it goes through. If it doesn't, then when you call TMobile back they'll tell you that Virgin Mobile wouldn't release the number then you gotta call them and find out why (typically its wrong account number and PIN rather than actually blocking the port.. but it is possible).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast