Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nokia 500

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

Nokia 500

I was thinking of getting the Nokia 500 from Wind. I've read and watched a number of reviews about the phone, so I do have some idea of what it's like. I was wondering what people's specific experiences with it have been, though. How is the phone on the Wind network? Any specific hardware/software problems with it?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Sonim XP5560
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi.

I was going to buy a Nokia 500 but it fell short of my expectations in some areas namely the display quality and future OS support. Nokia have had trouble porting Symbian Belle OS to the 500 because it uses an integrated graphics processor. Belle OS is now available for the 500, however you can't update automatically through Nokia Suite because Wind hasn't approved the new OS. The whole carrier upgrade approval process is very disorganized.

I bought a Nokia 700 off Amazon instead which has the same specs with the only difference being AMOLED display, Gorilla Glass, discrete graphics, and support for 720p video on the back camera. This is a 2nd generation and flagship Belle device so it should be the first to receive the next update, Nokia Carla OS currently scheduled Q3 2012.

One of the biggest pros of the 500/700 is pentaband support. One of the biggest cons of 500/700 are the fixed focus camera and crappy sensor -- photos always look pretty blurry and grainy. Also a significant con is they cheaped out on RAM and flash memory. If you plan on loading maps, music or video you can't do much with 2GB so you will need to install a separate microsd card. I just loaded a 32GB in mine.

I've never had problems with reception with my N700 or BB9900. Unless you use a Huawei reception seems to be more of a function of where you use your phone than its antenna design. Check coveragemapper to see potential dead zones marked in red: http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

I love everything about Belle OS except you can't remove some preinstalled apps like "CNN Video", "E!", "Movie Teasers". That is very annoying. Nothing you can do except move those apps way to the bottom of the app list and try to ignore them.

The 500/700 are the smallest smartphones in the world and takes a little handling to get used to. If you're in Toronto I could let you test my 700 so you could decide if it's for you or not.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Sonim XP5560
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also to touch on apps

Pre-installed extras:
    Adobe Reader
    Flash Lite
    Angry Birds Magic (playing with other NFC enabled phones unlocks levels)
    Fruit Ninja
    Shazam
    QuickOffice
    MOT Dictionaries
    Voice Recorder
    Vlingo
    Zip Manager

Some stuff you can download:
    DataWatch - gives mobile data usage alerts & can auto-disconnect at set limit
    The Flashlight - for when you can't see in the dark! also has an SOS sequence
    Bloomberg
    Facebook
    Foursquare
    Twitter
    Microsoft Business Apps (OneNote, Lync, Document Connection, PowerPoint Broadcast)
    Nokia Guides
    Nokia Weather
    Nokia Drive (turn-by-turn navigation)
    Fart Attack Xtreme

Missing:
    Instagram
    Color

Coming soon:
    Complete MS Office Suite

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I don't think there is an IP camera viewer app for Symbian....at least not a good one.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't get the 500 for any more than $100. It falls short as a smartphone but should work fine as a dumbphone.

Sent from my Lumia 710 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheaties View Post
    Also to touch on apps
    Pre-installed extras:
    Some stuff you can download:
    Coming soon:
    Complete MS Office Suite
    (re: Nokia 700)

How is the SIP integration?

Is there a Remote Drive type app pre-installed? (for remote file access, I think it's webdav protocol, very handy on my E73)
    Is there easy Flickr uploading?

You can add Nokia Transport to apps you can download.
    And JoikuSpot!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Sonim XP5560
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @pjw918

SIP VoIP doesn't work in Belle by default, for some reason Nokia did not include a configuration profile in this OS, you have to download it from here

After the SIP config profile is installed, here's an example setup guide with voip.ms:

Settings > Connectivity > Admin Settings > Net settings > Advanced VoIP Settings > Create New Service >
    *** Username: [email protected]
    *** Password: 123456
    ** Would you like to create presence settings for the service? > [No]
    * Sign in (username)

If you want outgoing calls to route through SIP, on the same screen go to
    Options (button on bottom right) > Settings > Default service > [Yes]

Otherwise outgoing calls will route through the mobile network

That's it, now SIP VoIP works to send and receive phone calls.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Sonim XP5560
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's no native remote storage app installed, but you can download 3rd party apps for dropbox like "Dropian"

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...lle-update-faq
    With Nokia Anna it was possible to map remote drives in the file manager via Options > map remote drive. After the update to Belle this option is not available anymore. How do I map remote drives with Nokia Belle?
    > Unfortunately with Nokia Belle there is no possibility anymore to map remote drives.

Duno why they removed that. Hopefully it comes back in Carla.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Sonim XP5560
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just installed Swype (only got my 700 Monday). Forgot to mention it earlier, this makes typing way easier. It's still beta (like the Android version) but should be graduating to a commercial product soon.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi.

I was going to buy a Nokia 500 but it fell short of my expectations in some areas namely the display quality and future OS support. Nokia have had trouble porting Symbian Belle OS to the 500 because it uses an integrated graphics processor. Belle OS is now available for the 500, however you can't update automatically through Nokia Suite because Wind hasn't approved the new OS. The whole carrier upgrade approval process is very disorganized.

I bought a Nokia 700 off Amazon instead which has the same specs with the only difference being AMOLED display, Gorilla Glass, discrete graphics, and support for 720p video on the back camera. This is a 2nd generation and flagship Belle device so it should be the first to receive the next update, Nokia Carla OS currently scheduled Q3 2012.

One of the biggest pros of the 500/700 is pentaband support. One of the biggest cons of 500/700 are the fixed focus camera and crappy sensor -- photos always look pretty blurry and grainy. Also a significant con is they cheaped out on RAM and flash memory. If you plan on loading maps, music or video you can't do much with 2GB so you will need to install a separate microsd card. I just loaded a 32GB in mine.

I've never had problems with reception with my N700 or BB9900. Unless you use a Huawei reception seems to be more of a function of where you use your phone than its antenna design. Check coveragemapper to see potential dead zones marked in red: http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

I love everything about Belle OS except you can't remove some preinstalled apps like "CNN Video", "E!", "Movie Teasers". That is very annoying. Nothing you can do except move those apps way to the bottom of the app list and try to ignore them.

The 500/700 are the smallest smartphones in the world and takes a little handling to get used to. If you're in Toronto I could let you test my 700 so you could decide if it's for you or not.
    I read in some forums that if you get the 500 from Wind you wouldn't be able to do an OS upgrade to Belle, just like the Optimus 2X's Android OS can't be upgraded to 2.3. Not sure if that's true though...

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Sonim XP5560
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read you can upgrade the Wind 500 to Belle but only manually. I don't know where to find the instructions though, it could take some googling..

Tonight I realized I'm also missing a app for soundcloud (doh).

Make a list of apps you use and search the Ovi Store to see if they exist or if there's any reasonable alternatives.

If you use a lot of niche apps hands down the best platforms are Android or iOS...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi.

This is incorrect. Wind isn't the problem - it's Nokia because they have not 'approved' Canada for the upgrade.

Feedback Score
    How long does your Nokia 500 battery last? Mine goes down to 0 bars after 24 hours and then dies after another 24 hours or so. This is just on standby.

I have noticed that reception in low signal areas is far worse than Huawei.

Device(s)
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    How did you guys flash to Symbian Belle? I have Navifirm and Phoenix software? Which FW should I download from Navifirm? Can I use any one of them?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Sonim XP5560
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 700 comes with Belle out-of-box, I'm not sure about upgrading the 500.

The battery life could be better, it's not as good as my Blackberry. I've been running "Nokia Battery Monitor 2" on my 700 for about a week now and my battery lasts about 3 days on standby, a little less with phone calls and texting. The browser and GPS/maps seem to be the biggest power drain. Best practice for this phone would be charging over night every night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast