Thread: Questions on Revol BYOD

Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO 500! (Current)
    Feedback Score

Questions on Revol BYOD

Wow, I just noticed that this is the first thread in the Revol section so, woohoo!

Anyway, congratulations aside, I've been looking for a good sub $35 plan that works in the places that I live and visit. I'm currently using a PagePlus $30 plan, but I could use a lot more data and a lower cost. I saw on Revol's website that they offer a $30 plan with unlimited voice and messaging, but data can be added for an additional $5. I checked their coverage map, and unlike Sprint, they do cover our home, but there is no coverage in many other places where I go. Anyway, I'd seen that they have little thing in their banner that says they have "free unlimited roaming". As vague as their map is, I couldn't tell if roaming is included on there or not. Does anyone know what carrier their roaming "bleeds" on to?

Also, does anyone know if they're still doing BYOD (I read that they were somewhere in an old thread here on HowardForums, but didn't see anything about it on their website)?

Thanks.

- 2 Bunny

Feedback Score
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-Tethering-!-! actually you did not have the first thread here. The http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-Tethering-!-! was the first thread as it only shows the threads from the last 30 days unless you tell it otherwise. you should always check your advanced search settings.

Feedback Score
    revol does offer service nationwide thru roaming. The only issue is that revol currently does not have a 3g network but they are currently building it out. The only issue with that is if you are on a flashed phone then you may have an issue with 3g service on a flashed phone not unlike issues some people have with flashing phones to boost or virgin mobile. Currently revol uses 1x data that uses simple ip which makes it easy to get 1x data but when it comes to 3g you need shared keys for 3g which are encrypted. Revol does have great phone service but until we know if flashed phones will support 3g then i would just get simple mobile cell serivce for $40 for 3g service and $60 for 4g service and since they use gsm any tmobile phone will work as they are on the tmobile network

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Post BRING YOUR OWN PHONE Reply

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-Tethering-!-! actually you did not have the first thread here. The http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-Tethering-!-! was the first thread as it only shows the threads from the last 30 days unless you tell it otherwise. you should always check your advanced search settings.
    Whups! I swear I checked that setting every time I checked that section, but apparently I misread it.

revol does offer service nationwide thru roaming. The only issue is that revol currently does not have a 3g network but they are currently building it out. The only issue with that is if you are on a flashed phone then you may have an issue with 3g service on a flashed phone not unlike issues some people have with flashing phones to boost or virgin mobile. Currently revol uses 1x data that uses simple ip which makes it easy to get 1x data but when it comes to 3g you need shared keys for 3g which are encrypted. Revol does have great phone service but until we know if flashed phones will support 3g then i would just get simple mobile cell serivce for $40 for 3g service and $60 for 4g service and since they use gsm any tmobile phone will work as they are on the tmobile network
    Nuts. I had that "keys" problem with using my Epic on PagePlus too. It wouldn't be half bad with EvDo, but 100MB doesn't go very far.

Since I posted last, I called one of their support reps, and they said that if I brought my own phone they'd make me do their $40 plan. The problem with $40 per month plans is that they cost $120 more per year than $30 per month, so I like those a lot more. I had my eyes on a Sprint SERO plan, but transparently it'll only stay $30 if it's used on a device older than the TouchPro 2. I've got an old broken Diamond that I could fix and then ESN clone. If I can't find out how to do the ESN clone myself, I'll find somebody else to do it.

So that's where we are with that right now...

- 2 Bunny

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by htcgoogle View Post
    Ok, I don't know what this guy is talking about when it comes to T-mobile, but heres my contribution.

I had a dumb phone with revol on the $50 a month plan (calling, txting, internet, mms, voicemail, ringback tones), but I got a deal for $10 off my bills so it's only 40 a month. It came to me in a text from revol, don't ask me how lol.
    Anywho, my friend had a Evo 4g that he gave to me. I took it to a revol store and they flashed it for 30, and did a esn change for 15. After playing with my QPST my Evo now has 3g 1x data and mms. Phone works great, great coverage.
    I always have coverage, even if my data is slow. I live in Indiana. Roaming is covered by Sprint and Verizon, works flawlessly.

If you already have a line open with revol, they will be more than happy to change your esn to a smartphone without messing with your bill, end of story.

ALSO: Does anyone know if revol will be getting 3g EVDO anytime soon?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Arrow REVOL 3G DATA Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Oak View Post
    Ok, I don't know what this guy is talking about when it comes to T-mobile, but heres my contribution.

I had a dumb phone with revol on the $50 a month plan (calling, txting, internet, mms, voicemail, ringback tones), but I got a deal for $10 off my bills so it's only 40 a month. It came to me in a text from revol, don't ask me how lol.
    Anywho, my friend had a Evo 4g that he gave to me. I took it to a revol store and they flashed it for 30, and did a esn change for 15. After playing with my QPST my Evo now has 3g 1x data and mms. Phone works great, great coverage.
    I always have coverage, even if my data is slow. I live in Indiana. Roaming is covered by Sprint and Verizon, works flawlessly.

If you already have a line open with revol, they will be more than happy to change your esn to a smartphone without messing with your bill, end of story.

ALSO: Does anyone know if revol will be getting 3g EVDO anytime soon?
    That's interesting. For the lower rate, do you have to transfer from a current Revol phone, or can you activate new? Do they seriously not have EvDo? I'm on PagePlus, and they have EvDo, but because of some kind of "keys" problem, data will not work unless I force 1xRTT.

- 2B

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The New 2B View Post
    That's interesting. For the lower rate, do you have to transfer from a current Revol phone, or can you activate new? Do they seriously not have EvDo? I'm on PagePlus, and they have EvDo, but because of some kind of "keys" problem, data will not work unless I force 1xRTT.

- 2B
    that is correct revol does not provide evdo 3g service and no plans for 4g lte. I spoke with a revol sales rep who works for corp and she said they are working on 3g but they can do not have an eta as to when it will be launched. I myself wish they followed they metro pcs and just skipped for the most part 3g and go to lte advanced.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The New 2B View Post
    Whups! I swear I checked that setting every time I checked that section, but apparently I misread it.

Nuts. I had that "keys" problem with using my Epic on PagePlus too. It wouldn't be half bad with EvDo, but 100MB doesn't go very far.

Since I posted last, I called one of their support reps, and they said that if I brought my own phone they'd make me do their $40 plan. The problem with $40 per month plans is that they cost $120 more per year than $30 per month, so I like those a lot more. I had my eyes on a Sprint SERO plan, but transparently it'll only stay $30 if it's used on a device older than the TouchPro 2. I've got an old broken Diamond that I could fix and then ESN clone. If I can't find out how to do the ESN clone myself, I'll find somebody else to do it.

So that's where we are with that right now...

- 2 Bunny
    i think if you search craigslist for your city you may find someone who can flash 3g data to your phone. In order for that to happen you may need a pageplus phone on the account and line you are using and have it working first. Then you use the pageplus phone to get the shared keys and then once your phone you want to use has the data setup switch back to it... but just google it.