Thread: 4G LTE microSIM Automatically Disabling Itself

Feedback Score

4G LTE microSIM Automatically Disabling Itself

(Also posted this on the Virgin subforum, but figured it might be relevant here since I'm running into this issue on the pda2.bell.ca APN. In fact, my carrier ID flashes "Bell LTE" for a second before it changes to "VIRGIN LTE" when connecting to the network.)

I have one of the new 4G LTE iPads and I got a Virgin LTE microSIM a couple of days ago. LTE speeds have been pretty great (especially upload) but I've encountered a pretty strange issue over the weekend when I was using the Personal Hotspot feature.

I had it tethered to my computer and proceeded do some heavy downloading to test out the speeds (especially with the 2-month no overages promo). Within seconds of starting the download, all data would grind to a complete halt. Even after turning off the tethering and restarting the iPad and reconnecting to the network, the data would not work -- as if it were blocked.

I called into customer support and eventually the techs advised the rep to remove and then re-add the flex plan to my account. That solved it and my iPad was loading web pages again!

So I thought maybe it was just a fluke, so back to personal hotspot and back to re-download my Linux ISO from a newsgroup. Again, same thing: the super fast tethered download just killed my data and I had to call in again to get it flipped back on.

Just on-device browsing works great, but now I'm concerned that the personal hotspot feature, while supported, is crippled/throttled/capped.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Feedback Score
    My Personal Hotspot feature just disappeared from my iPad and I can't re-enable it from settings. I have a feeling this happened after the data problems from last night.

I called into customer support and they said that I would have to contact Apple about that because they "are not trained on the iPad device."

Very disappointing.

UPDATE: I fixed this myself. Calling Apple would have been useless since this is a carrier-provisioned feature. Anyway, I disabled LTE and had the device reconnect to 3G. After it connected to 3G, it must have grabbed the settings from the network and my hotspot feature came back.

Still no clue from anyone about why data would commit suicide while downloading on tether, though.
    Last edited by Hadoken; 03-26-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Update on how I fixed it

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus, Apple iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Telus
    Feedback Score
    If personal hotspot disables itself, I find that going to General>Network brings it back. It happens to me sometimes on Telus LTE.

Feedback Score
    The freaky thing is that the option was totally gone from General>Network. (Same thing happened on my Rogers iPhone, but it would never be completely gone like it was on the iPad.)

Sneakz, are you using the new iPad? If so, can you test out tethering over USB and downloading a file that over 400MB?

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hadoken,

Greetings.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the tethering activities on most (no jailbreak) iOS devices are arbitrary set to use inet.bell.ca APN instead of pda2.bell.ca without user-accessible edit
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE, BrailleNote))

Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    Hadoken,

Greetings.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the tethering activities on most (no jailbreak) iOS devices are arbitrary set to use inet.bell.ca APN instead of pda2.bell.ca without user-accessible edit
    You're absolutely correct. A lot of "tweaks" are always circulating about how to modify iOS tethering settings; none of them work short of jailbreaking. PH can be enabled or disabled by your carrier, and is forced to a specific APN, in Bell's case inet.bell.ca.