Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for first time smartphone

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Recommendation for first time smartphone

This is so funny to me that I had to share:

"For your first smartphone, you should get an iPhone," an assistant manager at an AT&T store told me. "When you get bored with that,you should try an Android phone."

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=5...null&test=null

Feedback Score
    That's what I need--a recommendation for a first time Pageplus compatible Verizon prepaid smartphone that I want for emergency use, that would enable me to browse the web free at wifi hotspots. I don't need the ability to make phone calls over alternating carriers wifi and regular cellular networks, definitely don't want a data plan. I am new at this,don't understand the technical terms. Would you be able to make suggestions or tell me where I can get that info? Thanks very much.
    Ed23

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's what I need--a recommendation for a first time Pageplus compatible Verizon prepaid smartphone that I want for emergency use, that would enable me to browse the web free at wifi hotspots. I don't need the ability to make phone calls over alternating carriers wifi and regular cellular networks, definitely don't want a data plan. I am new at this,don't understand the technical terms. Would you be able to make suggestions or tell me where I can get that info? Thanks very much.
    Ed23
    You can buy an overstocked VZW smartphone from Best Buy's warehouse at Cowboom.com for ~$100 and get it activated on Page Plus without data. Page Plus uses Verizon's towers so you can be assured that you're getting quality service. They sell the Droid Bionic, a good phone, for $170.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums
    Last edited by akhi216; 05-03-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Feedback Score
    "You can buy an overstocked VZW smartphone from Best Buy's warehouse at Cowboom.com for ~$100 and get it activated on Page Plus without data. Page Plus uses Verizon's towers so you can be assured that you're getting quality service. They sell the Droid Bionic, a good phone, for $170.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums"

Thanks very much! Would you happen to know whether my proposed use, without a data plan, would result in low battery life because when I'd use the hotspot the phone would me constantly hunting for a connection with a cellular network? Would this happen whenever I was near a hotspot even if I were not using it?

Thanks again.
    Ed23

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can turn off virtually everything including cell data, LTE, etc. But the wifi is probably a battery hog. Bring your charger. I do. No idea of battery life on wifi. Since the display would be in use (the biggest consumer), you'd base it off of that. Engadget's looping video test gave 6.5 hours, very good to me. Then subtract the wifi use. And the Bionic is an excellent phone and I like it.

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed23 View Post
    "You can buy an overstocked VZW smartphone from Best Buy's warehouse at Cowboom.com for ~$100 and get it activated on Page Plus without data. Page Plus uses Verizon's towers so you can be assured that you're getting quality service. They sell the Droid Bionic, a good phone, for $170.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums"

Thanks very much! Would you happen to know whether my proposed use, without a data plan, would result in low battery life because when I'd use the hotspot the phone would me constantly hunting for a connection with a cellular network? Would this happen whenever I was near a hotspot even if I were not using it?

Thanks again.
    Ed23
    If you have wifi on always, even when you aren't near a hotspot, the battery will take a hit, but it won't be anywhere near as bad of a hit with mobile data turned off. Also, most phones are pretty efficient with battery if they are hooked to wifi, and if you're still worried about battery life then you could always buy an extended battery.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for your assistance akhi216 and Steveanderson13!

Feedback Score

No dta plan required because used?

Thank you very much for your assistance akhi216 and Steveanderson13!
    I checked out cowboom. May I ask some probably dumb questions? Is it because cowboom's droid bionic phones are used that you don't need a data plan? What would you recommend for a memory card? Do they not come with a data disk because that's only required for data plans? Probably a good idea to get a buyer protection plan, right? Thanks a lot, again!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I checked out cowboom. May I ask some probably dumb questions? Is it because cowboom's droid bionic phones are used that you don't need a data plan? What would you recommend for a memory card? Do they not come with a data disk because that's only required for data plans? Probably a good idea to get a buyer protection plan, right? Thanks a lot, again!
    You will want other answers besides mine.

Apparently page plus does not require a data plan. Google shop for the phone. Cow boom looks best for used. Look at sears

http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do...=SPM2985242501

Looks like new run about 400 dollars.

Comes with 16 gig preinstalled. You can augment.

I once carried insurance , ruined my phone , but the deductible and getting a pre owned we're not worth it. So no insurance now.

Spoken from my motorola byonics using google voice

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can think of phones from CowBoom as replacement phones and safe purchases from eBay. The vast majority of the phones are used, and it is your choice what to do with them, whether that entails getting them activated on Verizon with a data plan or getting them activated on Page Plus with or without a data plan.

Once you buy a phone from CowBoom it's your device, a plan isn't required to purchase a phone from CowBoom. The majority of phones on Cowboom do not come with a memory card. A few don't come with power cords but power cords are cheap and ubiquitous. Make sure to check what's included with the phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've only seen one bad experience with CowBoom reported and that was two years ago. FWIW CowBoom is an affiliate of Best Buy.

Feedback Score

I'm getting educated

Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    I've only seen one bad experience with CowBoom reported and that was two years ago. FWIW CowBoom is an affiliate of Best Buy.

Thanks very much for educating me on the topic, akhi216 and Steveanderson13. The Droid Bionic looks like a great phone. Page Plus informs me "You can use any unlocked, Verizon compatible, CDMA phone on our network." But cellunlocker.com informs me:

"Unfortunately we cannot unlock the Droid Bionic.

"The Droid phones we can unlock, once they are unlock, they only work on Verizon and international networks. They won't work with other US networks."

They also said on another forum: "Just to Clarify the Verizon Motorola Droid can be unlocked if it has Dual simcard mode, you will require a 16 digit unlock code.

"We have provide the code if needed"

I haven't asked if they can unlock the Droid Razr. But if they can, Verizon might refuse to replace the battery (it's not user-replacable) if they see I'm using Page Plus.

I hope this is educating you, or alternatively, that I'm getting bad info from one or the other company.

Thanks much, again.

Feedback Score
    Cellunlocker.com tells me the Motorola Verizon Droid Razr is not unlockable and seemed to be saying th same about the Motorola Verizon Droid X. A guy on Ebay is selling what he describes as an unlocked Droid X but this article http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/07...ello-to-efuse/ says Motorola software will detect if its unlocked and make te phone unusable. So I guess I'll search for a truly unlockable Verizon smartphone post here whatever worthwhile facts I find.

Thanks very much again for your help, akhi216 and Steveanderson13!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Cellunlocker.com tells me the Motorola Verizon Droid Razr is not unlockable and seemed to be saying th same about the Motorola Verizon Droid X. A guy on Ebay is selling what he describes as an unlocked Droid X but this article http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/07...ello-to-efuse/ says Motorola software will detect if its unlocked and make te phone unusable. So I guess I'll search for a truly unlockable Verizon smartphone post here whatever worthwhile facts I find.

Thanks very much again for your help, akhi216 and Steveanderson13!
    Verizon phones don't have to be unlocked to be put on Page Plus because Page Plus uses Verizon's towers. All you need is a clean ESN and you're good to go.

Feedback Score
    So you are saying I can get a Droid Bionic, right? OK, I'll give it a try, buy one from a place that will give me a 30-day return period. I was about to get a Droid A855 which is the only, or close to it, Verizon phone which does not have software which will disable it if you try to use it after unlocking. FYI Cellunlocker.com tells me very few Verizon phones are unlockable, among them:

"Droid 2 Global - A956
    Droid 3 - XT862
    Droid Pro - XT610

Please note that for this particular phone models, once you unlock it you can only use networks outside of U.S."

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast