Thread: Anyone handy? I'm trying to DIY some custom closets

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Anyone handy? I'm trying to DIY some custom closets

So I just moved recently. The master bedroom has 2 walk-in closets. While I don't have tons of clothes I thought it would be cool to make a closet organizer from scratch. I've noticed the local Home Depot/Lowes/Rona all carry 8' x 15" x 3/8" melamine that has hole pre-drilled for accepting shelves.

I'd like to hang shirts/pants plus maybe store my Tshirts.

The closets are approx 70" wide and 56" deep with a standard door on the other 70" wall.

For my closet I'll probably just do a center shelving unit with a set of 2 rods on each side.

Has anyone here done a custom closet organizer before?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Trophy: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; mwp6985))

I can send you some pictures of the custom closet we did from Ikea. We turned our guest bedroom into a walk in closet. Screw the guests haha.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd love to see them. Did you use PAX? I was checking it out at Ikea over the weekend and the accessories are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Trophy: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; mwp6985))

I can send you some pictures of the custom closet we did from Ikea. We turned our guest bedroom into a walk in closet. Screw the guests haha.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm thinking of doing something like this:
    http://www.garymkatz.com/TrimTechniq...ng_layout.html

It doesn't look too hard to DIY and I think I have all the necessary tools. One thing I'm not sure about is how to mount the dividers on the wall.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I did a PAX closet in my entrance in my last house and it was easy to put together and then I mounted the hanging bar to the right of it by screwing it right into the side of the PAX system and then into the wall.

It's more expensive then using melamine but easier then trying to cut and build your own.

Device(s)
    Current:Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard
    It doesn't look too hard to DIY and I think I have all the necessary tools. One thing I'm not sure about is how to mount the dividers on the wall.
    The easiest thing to do is not cut the 45 degree angle on the bottom of the dividers. Install the top shelf first across the length of the wall. Then install the dividers, cut to fit from the floor to the underside of the top shelf. They can be fastened through the top shelf with a trim nailer such as an 18 gauge brad nailer. Then install a small cleat to the floor on the inside of each divider. The cleat can be something like a piece of 1x4 ripped in half to a 1x2. Then fasten through the side of the divider to the cleat fastened to the floor. Between the top shelf, floor cleat, and the rest of the shelves and rods, it will be strong enough for any clothing you will stack on it. If you want, I can probably draw it up, scan it and PM it to you. I have a couple architectural programs, but I'm kinda teaching myself how to use them. That's the nice way of saying I have no clue how to use them. But I can hand draw it.
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mick662 View Post
    The easiest thing to do is not cut the 45 degree angle on the bottom of the dividers. Install the top shelf first across the length of the wall. Then install the dividers, cut to fit from the floor to the underside of the top shelf. They can be fastened through the top shelf with a trim nailer such as an 18 gauge brad nailer. Then install a small cleat to the floor on the inside of each divider. The cleat can be something like a piece of 1x4 ripped in half to a 1x2. Then fasten through the side of the divider to the cleat fastened to the floor. Between the top shelf, floor cleat, and the rest of the shelves and rods, it will be strong enough for any clothing you will stack on it. If you want, I can probably draw it up, scan it and PM it to you. I have a couple architectural programs, but I'm kinda teaching myself how to use them. That's the nice way of saying I have no clue how to use them. But I can hand draw it.
    LOL, you lost me after the second or third mention of the word 'cleat'. I was also thinking of hanging some 1x2 horizontally in some studs and then using that with some 90 degree fasteners to attach the dividers. I'm going to go to the local hardware store one of these days to ask them how they do it.

Device(s)
    Current:Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Just saw your post tonight so I whipped something up quick. Sorry I confused you. Have a look at these and let me know if you have any more questions.