Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Starting 5/27, new smartphones will be subject to current rate plans...

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
    Wow! The Quad Cities is well-represented here. You, TCross, and myself makes three...
    I lived a good number of years in the QC area back when I was younger (Davenport and Rock Island, and even Bettendorf for a few months). :-D

It was actually in Rock Island when I got my first cell phone (many years ago). It was, of course, with Virgin Mobile.
    My toys:
    -Samsung Intercept with 8GB Micro SD card, loaded up with tons of GBA games (Fire Emblem FTW!).
    -Motorola RAZR V3m (Dark Pearl Gray) flashed to ViVo with COOL custom skins and all.
    -Motorola E815 flashed to Bell and loaded with 100s of Java games!

Device(s)
    The Original LG Optimus V with 2.2.1. :)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I went to VM's Facebook page and read some comments. VM posts that "The plans will not change until May 27th...". Also they post: "...only if you swap to any new phones that are released after May 1st is how your plan will change..."

That May first date is repeated in a few threads I looked at. It doesn't mean that any phones will be released in May, of course. I believe new phones will come out in June and so on.

But if there was a phone released between now and May 27, then the grandfathered plan will go to $35 at switching to that.

Right?
    Virgin Evolution: Kyocera X-TC {167ppi}-> Rumor Touch {155ppi}-> Samsung Intercept {146ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi} LG Optimus V {180ppi}->-> ???
    Current main device: Asus Nexus 7 32 GB {216}
    My next phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on TMo??? {265ppi} Getting less sure. Leaning towards Nexus 4 {318 ppi}

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyTA View Post
    I went to VM's Facebook page and read some comments. VM posts that "The plans will not change until May 27th...". Also they post: "...only if you swap to any new phones that are released after May 1st is how your plan will change..."

That May first date is repeated in a few threads I looked at. It doesn't mean that any phones will be released in May, of course. I believe new phones will come out in June and so on.

But if there was a phone released between now and May 27, then the grandfathered plan will go to $35 at switching to that.

Right?
    Sounds like it.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the.rmo View Post
    I lived a good number of years in the QC area back when I was younger (Davenport and Rock Island, and even Bettendorf for a few months). :-D

It was actually in Rock Island when I got my first cell phone (many years ago). It was, of course, with Virgin Mobile.
    I wonder what VM's market share in the Quad City area is. A bunch of people I know (who don't post here) are on the service, plus those who do post here. That probably explains why VM's data is especially lousy in this market. It takes me forever just to bring up a simple web page on Opera.

With the new rate plans going into effect later this month, I'm torn on staying with VM. The EVO 3D would be cool since west Davenport has WiMax service, but I'd be mostly relegated to VM's awful 3G speeds since I live on the east side of the Iowa QC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just realized how uninterested in new phones I have become thanks to this new policy. Oh well.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    I just realized how uninterested in new phones I have become thanks to this new policy. Oh well.
    Same here. They just took the wind out of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tcross8361 View Post
    Same here. They just took the wind out of them.
    this applies to me as well. i do not love my phone company.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I already picked up a Galaxy SII so I could make the move to T-Mobile. My OV is still working pretty well, but I keep asking it to do more, and as I do, it further shows it's age. Age being measured in mhz.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by exuberance View Post
    this applies to me as well. i do not love my phone company.
    As well you shouldn't. They're not your friends, they're a company you're doing business with.

Personally, I am content with the phone and plan I have now and willing to wait and see what the experience of the early adopters is with the new phones before I take the plunge.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    As well you shouldn't. They're not your friends, they're a company you're doing business with.

Personally, I am content with the phone and plan I have now.
    As the saying goes: don't mix business with pleasure.

I complain here and there, but in the end, I too, am happy with my service. All I've ever used has been Virgin Mobile, so I'm used to their "slow" data speeds(to me, they're not slow, because I don't know any other way).

Phone selection(with all 3.2" screens specifically) is the only thing I've had an issue with, and they're in the process of changing that, so I'll stick around a little while longer and see how it goes.

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCredit1 View Post

I complain here and there, but in the end, I too, am happy with my service........

they're in the process of changing that, so I'll stick around a little while longer and see how it goes. .......
    Bostons is looking like it's going to be upgraded to NV soon. I hope it trickles down to Providence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuman View Post
    Here's a screenshot of the WAP page:

Attachment 80863
    So the page says May 2012 but the text says "Starting 5/27, new smartphones will be subject to current rate plans". So I wonder what the date really is? I ask because I am thinking about picking up the Optimus Elite. It is due out (officially) in less than a week -- which is before May 27th but in May 2012.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    They pulled some false advertising. Originally it was "any phone bought after 5/27" but then out of nowhere, they changed it to 5/1 and now say that the change will take EFFECT on 5/27

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Feedback Score

Exclamation

From http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal...ssion/1187310/:
    I just spoke with a Virgin Mobile rep on the phone to clarify this. Here's the answers I got:

1. If you make ANY changes to the phone (basically if you have any change in the ESN) you WILL have to move to the $35 plan.
    2. This INCLUDES if your phone breaks and you "change" to exactly the same model.
    3. It does NOT matter if the phone is one that is already available or one that will be offered after May 27

Summing up: You only get to stay on the $25/mo. plan if you keep your existing phone/ESN (and it keeps working).

I hope this helps clear up the confusion.
    And comments from http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012...ate-plans.html:
    I just called virgin mobile and was told that any smart phone acquired after May 1st will be raised to 35. on your next monthly payment due after May 27th.
    Based on VM's actual wording (from the text and webpage), I was under the impression if I bought the Optimus Elite and activated it before May 27th, then I could keep my $25/mo BT plan (until the phone dies) -- but now I'm not so sure. It would be nice if VM actually made this clear!

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    just spoke with a Virgin Mobile rep on the phone to clarify this. Here's the answers I got:

1. If you make ANY changes to the phone (basically if you have any change in the ESN) you WILL have to move to the $35 plan.
    2. This INCLUDES if your phone breaks and you "change" to exactly the same model.
    3. It does NOT matter if the phone is one that is already available or one that will be offered after May 27

Summing up: You only get to stay on the $25/mo. plan if you keep your existing phone/ESN (and it keeps working).

I hope this helps clear up the confusion.
    Wow, I don't really care for that, so if you are just unlucky and something happends to your phone, you are out another $10/mo. That will make a great many people very unhappy.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast