Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jailbreak/Unlocking question for iPhone 4S, does it unlock GSM and CDMA??

Feedback Score

Jailbreak/Unlocking question for iPhone 4S, does it unlock GSM and CDMA??

I searched but could not find anything accurate...

Are AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint Iphone 4S on 5.0.1 all the same once they are jailbroken and Unlocked with something like SAM?

I just sold my Sprint 32GB 4S (5.1) to get a 5.0.1 older software version to jailbreak. I want to use Straight Talk...

As long as I buy a 4S that has a sim slot, does it matter if the phone was on a CDMA or GSM network after it is jailbroken and Unlocked with something like SAM?? After the jailbreak/unlock can the phone be used on either one and or any prepaid sim card??

Thanks for any clarification, I dont want to go buy another ihone only to find out it cannot be jailbroken/unlocked to run my Straight Talk card... Can I buy any version of the Iphone 4s to do what I want as long as its 5.0.1?? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Maybe I over complicated my question... Ill restate...

If I jailbreak and unclock the phone... can I buy ANY Ihone 4S running 5.0.1 so that I can run my Straight talk sim card in it??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket View Post
    Maybe I over complicated my question... Ill restate...

If I jailbreak and unclock the phone... can I buy ANY Ihone 4S running 5.0.1 so that I can run my Straight talk sim card in it??
    Straight Talk BYOP SIM cards will only work with an AT&T or T-Mobile compatible or unlocked GSM phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    CDMA support is not a "lockable" feature. Basically the only way you are going to activate an iPhone 4S on either Verizon or Sprint is if the 4S's ESN is in their respective databases. If your iPhone 4S came from Sprint, Verizon will not activate it and vice versa. So even though all 4S's technically support CDMA, carrier policy prohibits them from being activated.
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Feedback Score
    SAM method no longer works, Apple has patched their activation servers already. Only those that unlocked with SAM and were told to backup the activation and did so, still have a way to unlock with such.

Only way to unlock the GSM for US carriers on the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S is to use the Gevey Ultra S sim and be jailbroken on 5.0.1, but if your phone needs restoring you cannot install 5.0.1 again. You will be forced to upgrade to 5.1 which cannot be jailbroken and the Gevey sim does not support the baseband updated with 5.1, so is a risky investment.

Few questions though, why unlock the GSM on a CDMA iPhone? Is the phone stolen? You canceled your service and had to pay the ETF or planning to? How come you didn't just buy an AT&T version? Paying the ETF on an AT&T iPhone allows for official unlock. You could always port to Page Plus, which is simpler.
    Last edited by overdrive31; 04-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you want to use StraightTalk, why are you worried about unlocking? StraightTalk using AT&T's network will work on an AT&T iPhone 4S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by osyed84 View Post
    If you want to use StraightTalk, why are you worried about unlocking? StraightTalk using AT&T's network will work on an AT&T iPhone 4S.
    Because a CDMA iPhone 4S cannot use US GSM networks without an unlock hack(your CDMA carrier provided GSM unlock is just for international GSM networks). If you buy an AT&T version, how do you avoid the ETF? If you're paying the ETF, why wouldn't you unlock anyway? You also unlock if you happen to be in an service area of Straight Talk that uses T-mobile network...and has the added benefit of not needing an AT&T sim to activate the phone even if you happen to be using Straight Talk on the AT&T network.
    Last edited by overdrive31; 04-30-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Device(s)
    bk i4s 64GB Sprint
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Very simple, I4s is world phone, Cdma can be unlocked to use GSM with Gevey S. and GSM can not be use on US's Cdma networks because Ver. & Spint not allow. Also even unlocked Cdma iphones can NOT use on any US GSM networks (but ok with oversea's). It is confusing ! to simplified, use your iphone 4s oversea is the best solution.
    I haven't mention about jailbreaking ?> Jb then unlock, still can NOT use on Cdma networks.

Feedback Score
    Any any of the 4s verizon, sprint, att hones be unlocked with Gevey and used with straight talk on GSM? Sounds like yes?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    You don't need to unlock at all for Straight Talk. Just get a used iPhone locked to AT&T, much cheaper and no hacking required.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    Thats what I did, I got another Iphone 4s that was from AT&T, its up and running on ST right now... Now I just have to wait for a jailbreak so I can tether if I need to! Lol

Feedback Score
    Lets stay on topic and stop the pyro party over a legit suggestion.

To put out the flames answer me this..
    You buy an iPhone 4S with subsidy from AT&T and then happen to decide to try to save money using an AT&T mvno. Yeah, it does not require a unlock to use this mvno, but in order to save money you must get out of the AT&T contract. Now you must pay the ETF, thus providing a simple path to unlock, even if an AT&T mvno does not require an unlock(I think we have established this enough with the multiple posts arguing such, but some ST networks do use Tmobile, using another sim, which does require it). The fact that unlocking does allow activating with any sim and not just a AT&T sim like on locked phones, as well as allowing more than just AT&T mvno options for service should be enough to justify the ETF for simplicity sake. The question is, are you arguing about the unlock because it is customary to not pay the ETF? Why wouldn't you unlock after paying the ETF, too lazy, or stubborn? How are you obtaining the device that would prevent such? What happens if you need to activate the phone and don't have an AT&T sim on hand?

Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    You don't need to unlock at all for Straight Talk. Just get a used iPhone locked to AT&T, much cheaper and no hacking required.
    ST does require jailbreak, itunes backup from another phone, or sim swap trick to get MMS to work...hmm sounds like a hack to meez
    Oh, and official unlock isn't a hack..
    Last edited by overdrive31; 05-01-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Feedback Score
    Actually no jailbreak necessary for the ST and MMS, I tried Unlockit, but it did not fully work. I used another guys method to change the restore paremeters, works great! 4s on 5.1 for now...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket View Post
    Actually no jailbreak necessary for the ST and MMS, I tried Unlockit, but it did not fully work. I used another guys method to change the restore paremeters, works great! 4s on 5.1 for now...
    the methods in the wiki, all hax btw

Feedback Score
    Hi when i worked in united state i has iphone 4 verizon carrier with CDMA no sim card, so what can i do when i return my country Canada? we can unlock the phone use any provider in Canada like TElus . Bell.thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast