Thread: How do I test speed on VM rumor Touch

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

How do I test speed on VM rumor Touch

With the changes coming later this month to VM I am trying to decide what to do. To help me decide I would like to know what kind of DL and UL speeds I am getting but any speed test site seems to be incompatible with my phone. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/

Dont use opera mini to test because it does not run local on the phone.

The rt uses the little slower 3g rev 0 vs rev a for ov.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Opera mini is the only browser I have so I had to use that anyway and got 1.3mb/s. Far quicker than I anticipated but its seems to be running faster than typical.

Feedback Score
    The rt has another browser called netfront so you must use that for an accurate result.

Opera mini runs on opera servers so that only tells you how fast the opera server is so the result is not how fast your phone speed is. Opera mini is a good browser but wont work for a speed test.

The rt is a good phone that I own but I upgraded to the ov which I like better.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, that was much less impressive, using netfront I got 57.8kbs

Feedback Score
    The speed can vary a lot and that is not the fault of your phone.

I dont think I ever got over 250 on my rt. It was fast enough to play youtube.

I got a little faster speeds with my ov most of the time.

I just tested my ov and got 185 kbps with 2 bars and I got faster results before.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, if I am going to stay with VM after the 27th I am going to vo with the Optimus slider. Otherwise I am just going to save up for the nexus and go with the t-mobile 4g plan. I would hope that network would be quicker and would allow me to stream pandora and netflix.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, the Netfront test probably speaks truth. Although you'd have to do 5-6 tests before I'd start trusting the results. (Opera Mini, just, don't trust it.) And personally I wouldn't consider the Rumor Touch's speeds to be indicative of the area. It's probably a CDMA 1x phone, still, or if not it's just bloody dated. (Not exactly a streaming media machine, you know?)

The only chance it's really ~56kbps is if you're experiencing a tower outage in your area. Unlikely, but still possible. Likelier yet if you're in the middle of a giant metropolitan zone. But I wouldn't take that for truth unless you got a friend with a smartphone to confirm the problem.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I understand the RT is a dated phone, the androids came to vm just after I bought it. I just want to know that even with a phone like the optimus slider if the network could support streaming the media I want it to or if I would be better off with t-mo.

The test I did yesterday was at work in south wichita. I have done a couple tests at home and I got 228kbs. Not too bad.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And you understand I'm not dissing your phone, except to ensure accuracy with those results. I'm impressed the Rumor Touch can actually pull those results, if so it's probably 3G after all. But I'd still recommend trying out a smartphone if any stores return policy is agreeable.

Feedback Score
    The only test speed I'll be doing on a Rumor Touch is to see how fast I could throw that POS in the garbage.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    And you understand I'm not dissing your phone, except to ensure accuracy with those results. I'm impressed the Rumor Touch can actually pull those results, if so it's probably 3G after all. But I'd still recommend trying out a smartphone if any stores return policy is agreeable.
    I understand, I do not take it personally. I know it is a dumbphone with a couple niceties added on. I still may use it as an mp3 player in my car after I get something else. Just got 144kbs on my latest try.
    \

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shook187 View Post
    The only test speed I'll be doing on a Rumor Touch is to see how fast I could throw that POS in the garbage.
    Hehe, pretty much this. Rumor is a nice looking basic phone that offers up a touch interface, but I certainly wouldn't expect or try to get performance out of it. Just take it for what it is, you picked the cheap end of the pool.