Thread: Sprint confirms Direct Connect Now, will offer Push-to-Talk App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Sprint confirms Direct Connect Now, will offer Push-to-Talk App

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/09/s...t-connect-now/

Sprint's been rather quiet at this year's CTIA Wireless in New Orleans, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting around without making any sort of noise. This morning, the Now Network let the cat out of the bag about Direct Connect Now, which is a service that will allow any regular smartphone user the opportunity to use the company's push-to-talk services in very similar fashion to devices that come with PTT already built into the hardware. How is this made possible? Simply put, there's an app for that -- or at least, there will be one coming to Google Play at an unspecified time in the not-too-distant future. This doesn't mean Sprint is giving up on hardware-based Direct Connect devices: new models will continue to be released going forward, but more smartphone users will at least have an opportunity to take advantage of the services in one way or another. More info as we receive it.

http://www.dailywireless.org/2012/05...ks-up-ppt-app/

In New Orleans today Sprint touted its Network Vision infrastructure plan and its Direct Connect Now phone app. Sprint says their Android app will bring push-to-talk functionality and interoperability to smartphones.
    Sprint will continue to have hardware-enabled Direct Connect CDMA phones in its portfolio, but the new App will deliver PTT functionality using a variety of smartphones.

Sprint says the App delivers interoperability with coworkers who are using true PTT handsets. Sprint’s narrowband iDEN service is on track to be shut down before the end of this year. Sprint will shift all iDEN users to its 3G CDMA network, on 850 MHz and PCS bands. There’s no word on a release date for the PTT app, but Sprint will be making it available in Google Play.

Device(s)
    lg optimus,motorola i425,samsung r211
    Carrier(s)
    boost mobile,cricket paygo,virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (lg optimus v,huawei m835: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.29703/27.1597; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

how much does it cost is what i wanna know

Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Sprint should just put the PTT on all of its devices and assign all of the devices a DC #

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S/ iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    very nice, i wish this app comes out soon for my new HTC Evo 4G LTE, i wonder if they gonna charge for this service and how much monthly???

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Very interesting. I remember when I was in high school (1999-2003), everyone used to have Nextel. I paid close to $400 for i95, i730, and i830. Those phones was hot back in the days.
    Fol2 SaLe:

PhOnEs Cul2l2eNtLy UsiNg: HTC Evo!
    Worry to deal with me? Check Out My 100% Feedbacks:

HowardForums.com - (4) 100% Postive Feedbacks

E-Bay - (79) 100% Positive Feedbacks

Device(s)
    Sprint Touch Pro by HTC (The New Hotness)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My i830 was the best phone I had before going to Smartphones. This is pretty exciting to see. I hope they just include it in my plan so I don't have to pay extra for it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
    Plan: Sero 500, unlimited data, unlimited text, free N&W starting at 7pm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eXplicit081584 View Post
    My i830 was the best phone I had before going to Smartphones. This is pretty exciting to see. I hope they just include it in my plan so I don't have to pay extra for it.
    i930 was my favorite phone for Nextel. This phone was a segway for me to use smartphones only. I could not go back to a regular phone ever again. I used to go on the web, play mp3, customize your OWN RINGTONES, and had Windows Mobile OS! Unbelievable how technology changes over time.

Device(s)
    Sprint Touch Pro by HTC (The New Hotness)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laoman3d View Post
    i930 was my favorite phone for Nextel. This phone was a segway for me to use smartphones only. I could not go back to a regular phone ever again. I used to go on the web, play mp3, customize your OWN RINGTONES, and had Windows Mobile OS! Unbelievable how technology changes over time.
    I had that one too, but I didn't like it as much as the i830. The form factor was kind of a downgrade, and it was outdated before it was even released. Granted, it started my smartphone passion, but I was so happy to get rid of that phone and get my Mogul.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (
    Feedback Score
    LOL I started with 730 in 04, then 860, then 870 and then 880 was my last upgrade.
    I never did the 930 jump because of the windows
    Click below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4XcMBr9

Click below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4Mhb8SD

Click Below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    https://mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4S9yQen

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S/ iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc View Post
    LOL I started with 730 in 04, then 860, then 870 and then 880 was my last upgrade.
    I never did the 930 jump because of the windows
    yea i started with the i730, then i860(first camera iden phone, i remember getting it at launch day paying a lil over $300 for it), then i went on to i880 for another $300 bucks, then landed with ic902 and fell in love wit sprints web, data, and on-time texting!!!! (compared to nextel iden web/data, sprint is flying!!!!) lol

then i went ahead upgraded early and paid about 400 bucks for htc touch pro 2, about almost 3 years ago.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S 2/Moto Atrix 4g
    Carrier(s)
    1. Sprint /2.Straight Talk (Unlimited $45) GSM
    Feedback Score
    The only thing I miss about Nextel phones was the ability to record calls.
    Fios Home Network

Evo 4g•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••GS2 4g

Device(s)
    HTC EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akayareal View Post
    The only thing I miss about Nextel phones was the ability to record calls.
    There's something pretty slick called NextMail you might want to check out. www.nextmail.com

Device(s)
    Iphone X Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    The PPT will 5 dollars a month and Intl ptt will be 15. The app might be free to download but I doubt the app is going to be free to use.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If this turns out to be available on pretty much any Android Device (I remember reading they are testing it on one of the Samsung devices right now) and it works rather well in areas without QChat2 or Network Vision enhancements, I will truly say "DUH SPRINT".

This is what they should have done since the beginning, from the very first Android device.

From the moment they released QChat for Revision A areas, they should have also been working on a PTT app for any smartphone that would also at least work in Rev A areas.

I am *still* convinced that PTT could make a comeback *if* if was available on EVERY device on Sprint--at this point since most devices are Smartphones, and they have some CDMA PTT dumbphones, this takes care of a good chunk of their devices. The thing about Nextel was that you knew if you had a Nextel device, you had PTT. The other carriers could never touch this economy of scale--the BIG issue was that Sprint forced people to make the fast data/smartphone/good coverage and roaming ability vs. slow clunky IDEN devices (or a couple lousy QChat dumbphones) w/ PTT choice--the trifecta of fast data, the newest phones and good coverage availability will always win out over the single positive of PTT. Hopefully this will actually take off, will get marketed the crap out of, and Sprint will be the carrier that has fast data, smartphones AND ptt in every device (even better if they can make this an Iphone app as well).

Sucks it took them this long as so many of the Nextel people already left, that truly loved PTT, so a lot of the ecosystem has abandoned it.

Many I'm sure will say "There is no use for PTT--it's dead"--but I'm not TOTALLY convinced that PTT's death was because people completely loved texting so much better--I think it was because Nextel was THE option for PTT and the positives of the CDMA devices from Sprint as well as the other carriers made consumers make a choice--and if they could have had all the benefits of a MODERN fast network with the newest phones AND PTT on Sprint/Nextel, they probably would have all stuck, and the PTT ecosystem that Nextel had built would probably still would be alive and well... and people would both text as well as still use the annoying chirp with their friends as they always had. (imagine if they could have said "Only the Now Network gives your smartphone streaming video, pictures, text, unlimited 3G/4G data AND instant communication with the push of a button to over 50 million people" from the beginning...)

--Nat

Feedback Score
    This was in the April Launch Deck:

Name:  dcnow.png
Views: 1608
Size:  167.9 KB
    ...from somewhere deep within the Sprint Campus.
    InsideSprintNow.wordpress.com <- blogging from deep within the Sprint Complex!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast