View Poll Results: Did you buy an Optimus Elite for your grandfathered BT plan?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 71.43%
  • No

6 28.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Did you buy an Optimus Elite for your grandfathered BT (mainly $25) plan?

Feedback Score
    I switched to an OE regardless of if I lose my $25 plan or not. I was tired of my OV and bought a Triumph a while back and wasn't too impressed with it. It ended up breaking when I dropped it and I just switched back to my OV for the past few months. I was planning on switching to the Evo or OneV anyways this summer so if this phone ends up satisfying me for longer than the Honeymoon period then great. If I get to keep my 25$ plan then thats even better, but its not a deal breaker.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Valistener View Post
    This phone seems a bit more advanced that my Rumor Touch.
    QUITE a bit more advanced lol. Going from a Rumor Touch to an Optimus Elite is like going from a cassette player to an iPod Touch.

When I switched from a dumphone to an Android phone, I was clueless. it took a little bit to figure it all out, but its worth it in the end. Have fun.

Sent from my LG-VM696

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    After reading some of the early reviews here, and hearing that people have (so far) been able to stay on their $25 plans, I tracked down an Elite at a Best Buy not too far from home. So far so good, and it's definitely much better than the OV, after all.

My original plan was to wait for the HTC One V to show up, this summer, but the May 27th deadline helped change my mind. I could justify paying for a new phone, or the rate hike, but not both.

And if Virgin Mobile changes their "official word" on grandfathered plans yet again - I guess I'll deal with that situation if it arises.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Virgin Mobile's information is explicit: Any phone introduced in May (the Elite) will be subject to new plans on the 27th. So if you got an elite, see the $25 charge, pay the $25 charge on the 26th, you'll get to pay another $35 on the 27th. You will almost certainly be double charged if you switch.

VM recommends you WAIT until the end of the billing cycle to do this, but people jumping ahead will just taste grief later this month as the very thing they say will happen makes y'all miserable. Don't say I, or they, didn't warn you.

If you bought the Elite for ~26 days of a different phone, then bully for you I guess.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    Virgin Mobile's information is explicit: Any phone introduced in May (the Elite) will be subject to new plans on the 27th. So if you got an elite, see the $25 charge, pay the $25 charge on the 26th, you'll get to pay another $35 on the 27th. You will almost certainly be double charged if you switch.

VM recommends you WAIT until the end of the billing cycle to do this, but people jumping ahead will just taste grief later this month as the very thing they say will happen makes y'all miserable. Don't say I, or they, didn't warn you.

If you bought the Elite for ~26 days of a different phone, then bully for you I guess.
    They've stated numerous times that the Elite has been added to the grandfathered list of phones.

If your accusations are true, they wouldn't have switched me back to my $25 plan when I switched to the $35, thinking that I would be forced to switch on the 27th.

Hi Shane, We have reviewed your account and our records indicate that you recently contacted our Social Media Team regarding your inquiry on 05/13/2012 and everything has been taken care for you and you are back in the $25 plan.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I went ahead and upgraded from OV. Originally I said I wouldn't upgrade for anything less than 800x480 screen resolution, but VM has foiled my plans with new smartphone policy announcement. So seeing how OE is going to be the best phone available for $25 plan I went ahead and bought one at Best Buy for $130 + tax (hopefully VM won't stick me with $35 bill on the next billing cycle). Ideally I hoped to get HTC One V if it ever came, but it looks like 1V may never materialize, and even if it does, it would require $35 plan.

Overall, it does have some pros and cons compared to OV, but so far I think I like it a little better, so for now I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I see May 1st deadlines everywhere official. And frankly, Virgin Mobile hasn't known to be the most trustworthy with random information flying around Facebook or private messages. They're trying to pull in a new crowd, a hipper crowd, people who give them more money.

Sure, a couple "official" news sites have reported the Elite will be available on grandfathered plans, but they point to Facebook wall posts. I've seen bad evidence before, but that kinda takes the cake.

Inb4 I'm a pessimist, because I am a pessimist.

Feedback Score
    I think the confusion comes not from the May 1st date, but from 5/27 deadline. The 5/27 verbiage can mean two things: 1) any phone released after 5/1 will be forced onto new plans come 5/27, or it can mean 2) any phone released after 5/1 and upgraded after 5/27 (meaning there is a short window of opportunity to upgrade to Elite before 5/27 and remain on grandfathered plan). People buying Elites now are hoping for the latter. As I said in one of my other responses, despite assurances from various VM representatives, only time will tell if the gamble pays off or backfires on us.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well written. The VM rep even went so far as to say the grandfathered Elite was explained to them in training to be sure they all said the same thing. This was the group in Mexico.

Let me put this another way. If the Elite "experiment" works and I get to retain my $25 plan, then that is great as the Elite has worked well for me, whereas the OV was losing it's functionality, not as a fault of the phone, but of my demands on it.

I had already bought a Samsung Galaxy S II for TMO and intended to leave VM if I couldn't get a solution to my phone needs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Virgin Mobile. They have a language problem...

Device(s)
    Moto G7 PLUS International model
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo prepaid 5gb Data g/fathered
    Feedback Score
    I purchased 5/25. Just paid next billing cycle, plus it shows $25 also for next mo.
    It doesn't seem that much better than OV. Battery takes forever to charge and runs down quickly.
    The navi buttons don't stay lit, I have to guess where the BACK button is.
    Screen goes dark during call, and won't wake up to 'end call' when I shake it.
    Do we still need to toggle airport mode on every boot ?
    Anyone found a way of turning off, or reducing the volume of the Virgin Welcome audio?
    How do you access the SD card? Do I have to download a File Manager to be able to move things to and fro?
    Sorry for questions, I did post in Tips and Tricks but no response.
    T

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ta1k0 View Post
    I purchased 5/25. Just paid next billing cycle, plus it shows $25 also for next mo.
    It doesn't seem that much better than OV. Battery takes forever to charge and runs down quickly.
    The navi buttons don't stay lit, I have to guess where the BACK button is.
    Screen goes dark during call, and won't wake up to 'end call' when I shake it.
    Do we still need to toggle airport mode on every boot ?
    Anyone found a way of turning off, or reducing the volume of the Virgin Welcome audio?
    How do you access the SD card? Do I have to download a File Manager to be able to move things to and fro?
    Sorry for questions, I did post in Tips and Tricks but no response.
    T
    Check to see what app is using the most power. For me Maps was using 2/3 of my battery. Force close it from the battery use screen.

In the display options there is the front key LED timeout, you can set it to always be on if you want. Mine seem to glow in the ambient light so the light turning off doesn't bother me.

The screen is supposed to wake up when you move it away from you from using the proximity sensor, mine is hit or miss and sometimes I have to hit the unlock bottun to get it to wake up.

I am not sure what you mean by the airplane mode on startup, mine starts up normally. As for the sound I cover the earpiece grill when the phone starts up as that sound is excessively loud.

Ans yes, DL a file manager

Device(s)
    Moto G7 PLUS International model
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo prepaid 5gb Data g/fathered
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Valistener View Post
    Check to see what app is using the most power. For me Maps was using 2/3 of my battery. Force close it from the battery use screen.

In the display options there is the front key LED timeout, you can set it to always be on if you want. Mine seem to glow in the ambient light so the light turning off doesn't bother me.

The screen is supposed to wake up when you move it away from you from using the proximity sensor, mine is hit or miss and sometimes I have to hit the unlock bottun to get it to wake up.

I am not sure what you mean by the airplane mode on startup, mine starts up normally. As for the sound I cover the earpiece grill when the phone starts up as that sound is excessively loud.

Ans yes, DL a file manager
    Thanks for answers.

Airplane Mode:
    In Android 2.2 (Optimus V) there was some bug that required you to toggle Airplane mode on and off to get the phone to correct the 'Time Without Signal' issue.
    Apparently it would search unnecessarily and burn battery ?

Why does it take 30 + seconds for the phone to turn off?

Any recommendations for a file manager?
    Elite ships with an SD card, but you are supposed to know that you need to download a file manager?
    Am I correct that you can't run apps off the card, you have to transfer them to the phones memory?
    Why even have a card?

Thanks again...much to learn

Feedback Score
    Thanks for answers.

Airplane Mode:
    In Android 2.2 (Optimus V) there was some bug that required you to toggle Airplane mode on and off to get the phone to correct the 'Time Without Signal' issue.

Elite ships with an SD card, but you are supposed to know that you need to download a file manager?
    Am I correct that you can't run apps off the card, you have to transfer them to the phones memory?
    Why even have a card?

The OE ships with Polaris Viewer which is a pretty nice file manager. You can still download one if you want, though. I'd recommend ES File Explorer if you feel the need to download one anyway.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for answers.

Airplane Mode:

Why even have a card?

What people primarily fill their memory with is media, not programs. Your media goes on the SD, your programs stay on the phone. If the SD is out, you don't lost your programs and they run faster in RAM than ROM.

This has been brought up several times in the message string so some research would be appropriate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast