Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best phone that can use the Grandfathered $25/month plan

Feedback Score

Best phone that can use the Grandfathered $25/month plan

I've heard that Virgin Mobile will no longer allow the grandfathered $25/month plan to be moved to a different phone after May 27, 2012.

So I figured I better try to get the 'best' phone that can use this plan before it's too late.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Probably the Optimus V if you don't need a keyboard, the Slider if you do need one. Both are really good phones. They don't have big screens but they both just work very well.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using HowardForums
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11 eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 11 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity, can a keyboard be connected to a smartphone?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    As long as you don't get an Intercept you should be fine. It was the worst Android phone VMUSA released.

Of course, I'm too poor to upgrade, so I'm still using mine a year and a half later.

And I think it is possible to connect keyboards to at least some smartphones (using Bluetooth). I'm not sure if it involves any "hacking" or modding or not, but if you google "connect bluetooth keyboard android" or something similar you'll get some info.
    My toys:
    -Samsung Intercept with 8GB Micro SD card, loaded up with tons of GBA games (Fire Emblem FTW!).
    -Motorola RAZR V3m (Dark Pearl Gray) flashed to ViVo with COOL custom skins and all.
    -Motorola E815 flashed to Bell and loaded with 100s of Java games!

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Supposedly now the Elite will also be allowed to retain the $25 plan. If so that would probably be the best.

Feedback Score
    I've recently heard about the Elite. But there a ton of good reviews about the Optimus V.

Hmmmmm.

Device(s)
    Triumph
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I vote for Triupmh. For $188 in walmart it is still best phone VM offers. Load it up with CM7 and you have one of the best phones any prepaid network offers.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by velishka View Post
    I vote for Triupmh. For $188 in walmart it is still best phone VM offers. Load it up with CM7 and you have one of the best phones any prepaid network offers.
    I agree. The Optimus V was a good phone, but the processor and internal memory on the Triumph blows the OV completely away. Plus, the bigger screen and HDMI out are nice additions.

Unless you're really addicted to GPS, the Triumph is going to be a better option for the grandfathered $25 plan.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't the Triumph have GPS capabilities?

Device(s)
    OnePlus One, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Nexus 7 (2013)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by testerhf View Post
    Technically, yes. In real world usage, barely.

Search Triumph GPS and you will see a lot of problems with slow or no fix.

Device(s)
    The Original LG Optimus V with 2.2.1. :)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it does.

I tested side by side: Triumph, Optimus V, and Tomtom on an 1.5 hour interstate trip, navigating to the same address. Triumph and V had navigation and satellite and gas station layers on. All three devices performed almost identically. Same picture, voice directions to turn, for example, would start on Triumph first (due to faster processor) , 1/8 sec later on V, 1/4 sec later on TomTom.

Triumph was on 2g most of the trip. V never lost 3g. Made no difference in navigation.

There was an email received on V and it froze navigation. Had to exit and reenter the app. After that it was performing fine again.

Tomtom has excellent lane assist, that was one big diff from goo nav. Also, it seems to be programmed to give turn directions slightly closer to intersections comparing to goo nav.
    --------------------------

There isn't anything to upgrade up from Triumph. It renders websites properly in Dolphin in desktop mode, for example, and the display is fine enough to read small letters in ebooks and websites.
    The processor is fast.
    Virgin Evolution: Kyocera X-TC {167ppi}-> Rumor Touch {155ppi}-> Samsung Intercept {146ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi} LG Optimus V {180ppi}->-> ???
    Current main device: Asus Nexus 7 32 GB {216}
    My next phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on TMo??? {265ppi} Getting less sure. Leaning towards Nexus 4 {318 ppi}

Feedback Score
    What is "goo nav"?

Thanks for the excellent comparison.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMark View Post
    Search Triumph GPS and you will see a lot of problems with slow or no fix.
    The Triumph's GPS problems might be a bit overblown. I'm not saying it works perfectly, but I've found some fixes that make the issue much more manageable than it has been portrayed.

I'm a local delivery driver where I live, so I've used the Triumph's GPS many times. There's an app called GPS Status (it's free on Google Play) which really works well. Before that app, I was using GPS Fix. That app also worked, but GPS Status seems to expedite the process much quicker.

Recently, I've noticed that another app I use (Gas Buddy) also speeds up the lock-on time. I was able to get a complete lock on GPS Status within 9 seconds after having used Gas Buddy briefly to enter gas prices. It was shocking to me given the well-publicized sluggish nature of the Triumph's GPS design.

The biggest problem Triumph owners will encounter is when they open Google Maps or Navigation cold and try to navigate directly from that app. Every time I've attempted that manuever, the lock-on times are ridiculously long. However, if I use GPS Status beforehand and let it lock, my wait time is reduced...in some cases to mere seconds.

That said, nothing is going to beat a stand-alone GPS unit such as a TomTom or Garmin. If GPS is absolutely crucial in your daily life, I recommend using a dedicated device instead of your cell phone in the first place. If you don't a need a GPS every day...the Triumph (with a little extra help from GPS Status) is still quite workable, IMO.

Device(s)
    The Original LG Optimus V with 2.2.1. :)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    What is "goo nav"?

Thanks for the excellent comparison.
    I am just too lazy to type in "Google Navigation"

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I tried the triumph, and from my home the Triumph couldn't get a single satellite unless I went outside. Every other phone I have had works fine inside at my location. I have the OV, the Elite, and a Samsung Galaxy S II all tested in the exact same spot.

Further, the cell radio also sucks in the Triumph as I had to walk outside, go up on top of a hill to use the phone, or drive about 3 miles down the road to get a signal.

No other phone I have ever had was unable to get service at my house, inside, even in the basement.

I consider the Elite the best of the $25 VM phones.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast