Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best phone that can use the Grandfathered $25/month plan

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora40 View Post
    Do you have one? It is rumored it has a Qualcomm S2 MSM8655, which is the same as the Triumph. If it has the latest Adreno drivers, it should set some blazing scores in Nenamark 2, due to the 320x480 screen size. The Triumph with the latest drivers can do about 25fps. The Elite has 40% as many pixels to render, it might be a puny graphics powerhouse (relatively speaking).

LG's website also says 800MHz, though that doesn't mean it isn't just way underclocked (the S2 can run up to 1.4GHz).
    Hello, Was unfamliar with NenaMark, so I installed it. The phone tested at 22.6 and shows having an Adreno 205. It beat the Experia with the same GPU. Came in lower than the Galaxy S II, but would be expected to.

Someone posted elsewhere they had gotten the N64 emulator with Mario Bros to run on it and they were quite happy, probably due to the 1GHz CPU.

Regarding Nenamark, I made no attempt to clear or wipe other things running in memory...so I might not have given the phone it's best test of raw GPU speed.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemagician View Post
    you should use Navfree USA.it doesn't use data just gps.i use it in airplane mode with gps checked with one of my phones.you download the maps and POI state by state to your sd card.here is the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.OSM.USA
    I downloaded Navfree USA yesterday and have used it several times. It's an awesome app and I can't believe it is free! The navigation voice is much clearer than Google Nav's default voice, but it won't pronounce street names. That's the only downside.

I definitely recommend this app to anyone who suffering with VM's data issues, regardless what phone you may have. The app ran great on my Triumph...which isn't known for being a good GPS device. No more waiting for directions to download from Google Maps over VM's slow data network. This thing is ready to go once your GPS grabs a fix.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S4 (heavily modded Verizon model)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    That seems to align with the release I posted. Any phone debuted after May 1st will lose the grandfathered plan after May 27th. The way it reads, people won't lose their plan until they go to top-up next month.

But I guess we'll see what happens, if they do grandfather it in, that would be nice, since it is not a 4G phone.
    Yeah, I kind of wonder about that too.
    I take everything coming from VM at the moment with a grain of salt. Too many conflicting statements.

Do you have one? It is rumored it has a Qualcomm S2 MSM8655, which is the same as the Triumph.
    As best I can tell, it's not the same as the Triumph (through some places are saying it is), it looks to match the Optimus M+, which makes much more sense being an OV replacement. Optimus M was a sibling to the Optimus V, the M+ replaced it and the Elite replaces the OV.

Using the Triumph processor would mean they took a chip and used the absolute lowest clock setting they could, instead of a cheaper chip clocked at a mid level setting. It has a limit of 1gig.
    Your village called, they want their idiot back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
    VM's slow data network.

Isn't VM using the Sprint network? Is Sprint slow too?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslieann View Post
    Yeah, I kind of wonder about that too.
    I take everything coming from VM at the moment with a grain of salt. Too many conflicting statements.
    I agree. This is the one from the FAQ that should concern currently grandfathered Elite users:
    Who will be affected by the new device upgrade rules?

Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk customers who are on the $25, $40, or $60 Beyond Talk plans as of May 27, 2012 and who upgrade to a Virgin Mobile smartphone launched after May 1, 2012.
    The more I read that one, the more it sounds like you will loose your $25 BT plan on May 27th.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by testerhf View Post
    Yes and yes

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    I agree. This is the one from the FAQ that should concern currently grandfathered Elite users:

The more I read that one, the more it sounds like you will loose your $25 BT plan on May 27th.
    This topic has been beat around over and over. If you have a VM account you know it shows you what your NEXT bill will be. My 6/16 bill is showing as $25. That is all I need to know to be assured things are going well and I am successfully grandfathered. Certainly their system knows 6/16 is after 5/27.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by testerhf View Post
    VM only used (for now) the older 3G network, not the newer 4G Wimax network owned by Clear. Clear is not expanding their Wimax network so Sprint is launching their own LTE network for 4G service.

Either way, all the current VM devices are 3G so it is a moot point.

If you are a power user you would want 4G and would be on T-Mobile as the best deal for 4G at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Testshoot View Post
    This topic has been beat around over and over. If you have a VM account you know it shows you what your NEXT bill will be. My 6/16 bill is showing as $25. That is all I need to know to be assured things are going well and I am successfully grandfathered. Certainly their system knows 6/16 is after 5/27.
    Perhaps, but the FAQ also says:
    Where can I get more details?
    Our General Terms and Conditions will be updated on May 27, 2012 to reflect the changes.
    So it could be your next bill amount will be updated after the Terms and Conditions are updated on May 27th.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    Perhaps, but the FAQ also says:

So it could be your next bill amount will be updated after the Terms and Conditions are updated on May 27th.
    Terms and conditions have to do with the contract, it doesn't say RATES.

I am as confident as I can be that my grandfathered $25 rate will continue.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I hope it all works out for you Testshoot. The fact they are offering a $35 credit to new customers with the phones purchase make me think otherwise.

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsoul1 View Post
    I hope it all works out for you Testshoot. The fact they are offering a $35 credit to new customers with the phones purchase make me think otherwise.
    New customers would pay $35 a month for the 300 minute plan no matter which phone they choose, since they are not grandfathered in to the $25 plan like some of us oldsters are. VMUSA was offering the same deal with the Wildfire S, so I don't think it's indicative of anything regarding the Elite and grandfathered plans.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Fair enough. I also have the $25 grandfathered plan and i would grab the Elite from BB if i knew i would keep my rate. VM is being very sketchy about this. You would think they would officially state yes or no.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsoul1 View Post
    Fair enough. I also have the $25 grandfathered plan and i would grab the Elite from BB if i knew i would keep my rate. VM is being very sketchy about this. You would think they would officially state yes or no.
    On purpose I wonder to prevent people from upgrading to the elite at the last moment so they will be more likely to to upgrade sooner to a $35 plan rather than later?

Or maybe they will pull the rug out from those of us who are gambling and have upgraded to the OE already.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Valistener View Post
    On purpose I wonder to prevent people from upgrading to the elite at the last moment so they will be more likely to to upgrade sooner to a $35 plan rather than later?

Or maybe they will pull the rug out from those of us who are gambling and have upgraded to the OE already.
    Sounds about right. Pretty much a guarantee one of these is correct...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast