Thread: Does UMA really work

Device(s)
    w376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

Does UMA really work

It seems this isn't much of a topic, but here goes.
    Coverage at home , no matter what carrier, stinks due to being in a dead spot.
    I have internet, and the landline, but it would be nice for the kids cell phones to be able to work.
    The Samsung Exhibit II on prepaid looks like a reasonable choice.
    Even the $15/mo plan might be enough , $30 certainly is.
    Is there any experience with this phone or any other using the UMA for both talk and texting, mostly texting for teens anyway.
    Republic Wireless seems like an alternative, but its essentially the same thing, same coverage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Exhibit II has an issue where the messaging marks sent texts as failed, so if you will be doing a lot of texting I'd avoid that model based on that alone. But yes, depending on the WiFi coverage in your home, WiFi calling is an excellent solution to your problems (of course, besides a carrier or tower company improving coverage with a new cell site)
    Bye!

Device(s)
    w376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    A new tower is not likely
    As for phones, the Lumia doesn't support UMA directly. The Gravity looks to perhaps be a decent alternative, and does have the physical keyboard.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    All TM Androids in the last 1.5 years support wifi calling and all BBerrys phones for 4 or 5 years. We mainly use it when outside US and it works perfectly here as well. Try it for yourself before buying in a TM store.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    it has been working many years. I traveled over 20 countries with UMA/wi-fi calling.
    it is the second best besides t-zone.
    BB phone is the best with UMA, and the Android with the worst UMA/wi-fi calling performance

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    it has been working many years. I traveled over 20 countries with UMA/wi-fi calling.
    it is the second best besides t-zone.
    BB phone is the best with UMA, and the Android with the worst UMA/wi-fi calling performance
    Not all Android phones are bad with wifi calling I remember right after getting T-Mobile some smart person working for Comcast manage to cut the fibre line which served Houston services, On my then Mytouch 4G I turned on wifi calling and was sending close to 100 messages over the 2 hour span until they got it connected back. Still to this day that was the only outage I have had in the little over a year of having them postpaid.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have found that WiFi Calling (on the myTouch 4G) works fairly well, but it is quite picky about WiFi signal strength (we have been at several hotels where WiFi was usable for data, but WiFi calling said the connection wasn't good enough). It would be nice if it had two levels of signal strength requirements - a lower one for sending & receiving texts, and a higher one for voice.

There appears to be a bug in the myTouch 4G where, if you are on a call using WiFi Calling, and you use the speakerphone, the other party cannot hear you very well. Not sure if there's a separate mic that gets used when in speakerphone mode (in which case it appears that mic is not being used) or if they just increase the gain on the mic when in speakerphone mode (in which case it appears the gain is not being increased).

Mike

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Astound UMA works fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    Not all Android phones are bad with wifi calling I remember right after getting T-Mobile some smart person working for Comcast manage to cut the fibre line which served Houston services, On my then Mytouch 4G I turned on wifi calling and was sending close to 100 messages over the 2 hour span until they got it connected back. Still to this day that was the only outage I have had in the little over a year of having them postpaid.
    Android wi-fi calling, the biggest annoying problem is picky for wi-fi signal strength.
    In the home it is ok, you know where your AP is;
    In the real world; it is almost useless, Android wi-fi calling kept saying wi-fi not strong enough to make wi-fi call. I had to switch to use my old BB phone to make wi-fi calling.

Feedback Score
    same here. astound+e73 uma works well. i'm currently in hk.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MERLINER View Post
    same here. astound+e73 uma works well. i'm currently in hk.
    Nice. My neighbor is going to Europe soon and will be there for a few years, so I redid their plan and now they have unlimited WiFi calling, and she bought my old Galaxy S II. She's all set to be able to talk/text just like she was in the states, at least while she's around WiFi at home. I think UMA/WiFi calling is one of the best things ever.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s+ [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE