Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Announces Plans to Shut Down its Legacy IDEN Network Next Year

Device(s)
    HP Pre 3
    Carrier(s)
    O2 Deutschland
    Feedback Score

Sprint Announces Plans to Shut Down its Legacy IDEN Network Next Year

It is June 2012 after all (except if they change their mind again ).

USA based Sprint Nextel today announced plans to migrate its business and government customers from its iDEN based Nextel network onto the Direct Connect platform -- its CDMA based push to talk service.

Sprint also announced that it plans to cease service on the iDEN Nextel National Network as early as June 30, 2013 as part of its Network Vision plan -- a series of network updates designed to offer next generation network capabilities to customers.

Sprint will send written notices to business and government customers from next month regarding the iDEN network shutdown. Additional notices are planned for distribution to the iDEN base multiple times over the next year as the shutdown of the iDEN network becomes more imminent.

Sprint's CDMA based Direct Connect coverage is expected to broaden throughout 2012.

The company is currently carrying out a plan to consolidate multiple network technologies into one seamless network. Network Vision is expected to add net economic value for Sprint from reduced roaming costs, cell site reduction, backhaul efficiencies, more efficient use of capital, and energy costs savings.

Sprint anticipates that the iDEN network push to talk functionality will become inoperable as early as June 30, 2013; however, Sprint CDMA voice and data services on PowerSource devices (dual mode iDEN and CDMA devices) will still be available. The company has already discontinued selling iDEN devices in certain channels. It will discontinue selling iDEN devices in all channels and all brands carrying iDEN Nextel products over the next several months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lewton View Post
    It is June 2012 after all (except if they change their mind again ).

USA based Sprint Nextel today announced plans to migrate its business and government customers from its iDEN based Nextel network onto the Direct Connect platform -- its CDMA based push to talk service.

Sprint also announced that it plans to cease service on the iDEN Nextel National Network as early as June 30, 2013 as part of its Network Vision plan -- a series of network updates designed to offer next generation network capabilities to customers.

Sprint will send written notices to business and government customers from next month regarding the iDEN network shutdown. Additional notices are planned for distribution to the iDEN base multiple times over the next year as the shutdown of the iDEN network becomes more imminent.

Sprint's CDMA based Direct Connect coverage is expected to broaden throughout 2012.

The company is currently carrying out a plan to consolidate multiple network technologies into one seamless network. Network Vision is expected to add net economic value for Sprint from reduced roaming costs, cell site reduction, backhaul efficiencies, more efficient use of capital, and energy costs savings.

Sprint anticipates that the iDEN network push to talk functionality will become inoperable as early as June 30, 2013; however, Sprint CDMA voice and data services on PowerSource devices (dual mode iDEN and CDMA devices) will still be available. The company has already discontinued selling iDEN devices in certain channels. It will discontinue selling iDEN devices in all channels and all brands carrying iDEN Nextel products over the next several months.
    This announcement really give no new information about when Iden will no longer be available.It only says they anticipate a shutdown of iden after the end of June 2013.That gives them the option to anticipate wrong and keep it running till the contract with Motorola is up at the end of the Year.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsfan View Post
    This announcement really give no new information about when Iden will no longer be available.It only says they anticipate a shutdown of iden after the end of June 2013.That gives them the option to anticipate wrong and keep it running till the contract with Motorola is up at the end of the Year.
    I'm excited to see that Sprint is at least announcing their plans rather than "IDEN is a great asset..." or "It makes financial sense to keep IDEN"... we all knew it had to end.

I wonder how many Airaves they are going to have to give out (or CDMA towers they plan on building) for businesses that are in areas that have great IDEN signal, but 0-1 bars on CDMA coming off the same tower.

I know one business in particular that has hung onto IDEN forever simply because "It worked where they told me it would--It doesn't have coverage everywhere, but it works great in all the places they said it would--Nextel was the only company that was honest about that when I signed"

It's going to go over just AWESOME when they say "You won't see any service changes--this will be BETTER" and they get their 5 new CDMA phones and find 0-1 bar of service at the shop, and the same when they are out at customer's houses that are just outside of the 1900 coverage. In fact when I am out there calling on them with my own job, I have had to step outside to get a PCS signal because inside there is *just enough* CDMA to hold onto an unusable signal.

I wonder how many of the IDEN folks are left because of this same reason? Maybe it's a leap, but with 5 million or so left, they are probably the hardcore users that have dealt with the low data speeds (these guys have I1's).

I haven't said anything because I'm curious how this will play out They have asked me who my provider is, and I say Sprint--and it just doesn't click that there are two networks. *I* get the difference--and have the force roam app--and realize they are missing out on a lot of roaming coverage. But the "average user" doesn't get this--and if you have sold something based on being honest, and knowing the owner, Sprint is going to have one ticked off customer, unless they are prepared to explain such things--including the force roam app. Somehow I think they aren't prepared.

--Nat

Feedback Score
    SPRINT SUCKS....5.4 million customers get screwed!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I'm excited to see that Sprint is at least announcing their plans rather than "IDEN is a great asset..." or "It makes financial sense to keep IDEN"... we all knew it had to end.

I wonder how many Airaves they are going to have to give out (or CDMA towers they plan on building) for businesses that are in areas that have great IDEN signal, but 0-1 bars on CDMA coming off the same tower.

I know one business in particular that has hung onto IDEN forever simply because "It worked where they told me it would--It doesn't have coverage everywhere, but it works great in all the places they said it would--Nextel was the only company that was honest about that when I signed"

It's going to go over just AWESOME when they say "You won't see any service changes--this will be BETTER" and they get their 5 new CDMA phones and find 0-1 bar of service at the shop, and the same when they are out at customer's houses that are just outside of the 1900 coverage. In fact when I am out there calling on them with my own job, I have had to step outside to get a PCS signal because inside there is *just enough* CDMA to hold onto an unusable signal.

I wonder how many of the IDEN folks are left because of this same reason? Maybe it's a leap, but with 5 million or so left, they are probably the hardcore users that have dealt with the low data speeds (these guys have I1's).

I haven't said anything because I'm curious how this will play out They have asked me who my provider is, and I say Sprint--and it just doesn't click that there are two networks. *I* get the difference--and have the force roam app--and realize they are missing out on a lot of roaming coverage. But the "average user" doesn't get this--and if you have sold something based on being honest, and knowing the owner, Sprint is going to have one ticked off customer, unless they are prepared to explain such things--including the force roam app. Somehow I think they aren't prepared.

--Nat
    If they are in the Network Vision upgrade plans for the next year, then between the increased coverage of 1x Advanced and the increased coverage of 800 1x Advanced, they should have a much better chance of better Sprint service. Now, not all ex Nextel sites will get NV. Does Sprint have a CDMA site colocated on the Nextel site? If so, there's a very good possibility that they will have great Sprint service once that site gets upgraded to NV.
    I know that at least in my area they are adding new 1x legacy cards to quite a few sites, so if a site is suffering from "breathing" due to overloading, thereby diminishing its effective radius, an additional voice card will restore a site's effective radius to its nominal value.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    If they are in the Network Vision upgrade plans for the next year, then between the increased coverage of 1x Advanced and the increased coverage of 800 1x Advanced, they should have a much better chance of better Sprint service. Now, not all ex Nextel sites will get NV. Does Sprint have a CDMA site colocated on the Nextel site? If so, there's a very good possibility that they will have great Sprint service once that site gets upgraded to NV.
    I know that at least in my area they are adding new 1x legacy cards to quite a few sites, so if a site is suffering from "breathing" due to overloading, thereby diminishing its effective radius, an additional voice card will restore a site's effective radius to its nominal value.
    In this particular case the Nextel site is omni-directional from the top of a hill, and the CDMA site is at the bottom of the hill with panels (for those of you familar with Western Washington, it's the Sprint site directly across from Great Wolf Lodge near I-5 exit 88, with the Nextel right across the freeway on the hill). The particular CDMA site was built by Sprint in 1997 and was owned until it was leased off--since Sprint and Qwest both had service on the tower, Verizon converted the Qwest panels to their own service when they bought the towers that Sprint didn't want back in '04-ish and have their panels directly below Spring. The Nextel site is leased from T-Mobile IIRC.

Does anyone know if they have plans to get the 800 fully deployed by the time they turn down IDEN completely? Hopefully they don't try and boot anyone in a particular area 'til the 800 is completely up.

Also is Sprint picking "the best" location for NV sites? I know of a number of places like this that have a leased IDEN site on top of a hill, and either a Sprint-built or Qwest-absorbed site that was just plunked down next to the freeway. 120 feet above the ground vs. 800 or so. In these cases it would seem to me that the best sites would be the ones on the hills. Since Sprint sold and re-leased their own towers a while back, I'm not sure that being Sprint built/Sprint-owned has much to do with it anymore.

In this area, pretty much all the Nextel sites that were in areas without CDMA got it added on--so I am sure the synergy sites are set to go... however the non-synergy sites were never combined. In addition, the current synergy sites have much less CDMA coverage than IDEN--I think upgrading the antennas, 800 and RRH's will help. Currently they have one panel devoted to CDMA, and 3 for IDEN--in those areas that do have Nextel and Sprint from the same site (particularly the synergy sites) there is a major coverage difference. In areas where the CDMA panels are directly above or below the IDEN on the same tower, it's not as bad.

--Nat

Device(s)
    I880
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Sprint tried a PTT service before and it failed!!! The Nextel network started out as a PTT system only and was built from the ground up for that specific function! I used to use the PTT radios on their network before Nextel added phone service to the system, now they are pulling the plug on a network that was made primarily for PTT and try to use their phone network for PTT again when CDMA was not designed for this type of service that is why it failed the first time!! I see a lot of angry users and possibly another Class Action Lawsuit coming their way! I have a I1x that I paid the non-contract price for, purchased directly from Sprint to use it on Boost and Sprint did not tell me I would soon own a $400.00 paperweight! I called Sprint yesterday to ask them what they were going to do since they sold me the phone and was told it was Boost's problem not theres since I never activated it with their sim card, this is a crock and they are going to burn a lot of people! Why are they are still selling the Iden phones?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has a lot of upgrades planned for my area, and though they are only partially done (6 of 19 I think), you can tell. Data speeds have gotten better (and they're consistent!) plus I seem to always have 3G everywhere. I'm impressed, but they're going to have to be quicker with NV if they want to catch the people leaving iDEN as service degrades.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s+ [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by saboken View Post
    Sprint tried a PTT service before and it failed!!! The Nextel network started out as a PTT system only and was built from the ground up for that specific function! I used to use the PTT radios on their network before Nextel added phone service to the system, now they are pulling the plug on a network that was made primarily for PTT and try to use their phone network for PTT again when CDMA was not designed for this type of service that is why it failed the first time!! I see a lot of angry users and possibly another Class Action Lawsuit coming their way! I have a I1x that I paid the non-contract price for, purchased directly from Sprint to use it on Boost and Sprint did not tell me I would soon own a $400.00 paperweight! I called Sprint yesterday to ask them what they were going to do since they sold me the phone and was told it was Boost's problem not theres since I never activated it with their sim card, this is a crock and they are going to burn a lot of people! Why are they are still selling the Iden phones?
    First off, your right: Nextel phones have always had PTT--if you had a Nextel phone, you had PTT. Everyone knew this--and if you knew someone with Nextel, you could PTT them. Easy enough.

The reason why Sprint's old ReadyLink (and QChat the first time around), Verizon, AT&T, USCC, Alltel, and all the other companies who tried PTT failed is not so much that the service sucked (although it might not have been split-second fast like Nextel)--in fact the entire local Sheriff dept. moved to USCC PTT from Nextel and it's passable--it's because they didn't have the built-in ecosystem.

Had the other carriers set a date and said "From this point forward ALL our phones will have our PTT" and included it with the plans (cheap per-minute charge by default, ability to add an unlimited plan if you need it), and maybe even allowed cross-network PTT with compatible networks (e.g. AT&T, USCC and Alltel who used Kodiak, Sprint's Readylink and Verizon who used Winphoria) I think they would have been successful and PTT as a whole would still be alive and well, even with consumers. Imagine if Verizon (or AT&T) had done this in 2008--by now pretty much everyone on Verizon would have it and it would be just another option to communicate--if they were smart at marketing it, it could have all been part of being on the IN Network (and would probably still be seen as the "cool" way to communicate).

Instead the carriers themselves pigeon-holed what could have been a great benefit into a niche technology by only releasing 2 or 3 low to mid range devices that support it, and charging $10-15 per month to use it, without an option to "just have it and try it" for $.05 per minute and upgrade to a bigger plan later once you decided you needed it--which is how Nextel did it. The average consumer who has never used it will not seek out a device to use a feature they have never used, then add a plan for it, then try and convince their friends and family to do the same. Now if they had the ability built in already, and had friends on the same carrier, they would try it and go from there. "Oh you have Verizon? Let's try this walkie-talkie thing..."

The issue isn't that PTT is dead as a way to commnicate: it's the fact that the ecosystem is not there--and on Nextel consumers had to make a choice: Fast data and the newest smartphones and apps and the ability to stream or PTT and slow data with a single clumsy smartphone & Blackberry choice. The fast data and new phones won out. Had Nextel been able to have all the devices from the beginning--including the newest Androids and iPhones--with their PTT, they would have kept their mass ecosystem, and would have retained--and probably gained--a ton of customers since they had a unique feature that no one else had. Sprint is FINALLY seeing this, and is releasing an Android app for PTT. DUH. This should have been done a LONG time ago, and they should have mandated it in all the devices they sold that didn't have apps you could load (as well as at least making sure there was a decent PTT button on all their devices in the case where it could be done with an app).

As for your second point: I can't believe that Boost and Sprint are still selling IDEN devices--although Sprint has stopped selling them at retail. I am sure they will take care of the contract customers first with cheap upgrade offers (they are already doing this) then offer the Boost people a great deal to move over at the very end. I can't imagine Sprint will close off service to their customers--even prepaid ones--and completely lose them when their phones go dead. It's just a matter of time, and I am sure it will happen once they get all the contract ones over first. Unless they are idiots--and with Sprint that can be debated lol.

--Nat

Device(s)
    I880
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score

Nextel Shut down they should sell it and let someone market it as it was intended PTT

Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    First off, your right: Nextel phones have always had PTT--if you had a Nextel phone, you had PTT. Everyone knew this--and if you knew someone with Nextel, you could PTT them. Easy enough.

The reason why Sprint's old ReadyLink (and QChat the first time around), Verizon, AT&T, USCC, Alltel, and all the other companies who tried PTT failed is not so much that the service sucked (although it might not have been split-second fast like Nextel)--in fact the entire local Sheriff dept. moved to USCC PTT from Nextel and it's passable--it's because they didn't have the built-in ecosystem.

--Nat
    I understand what your saying, but Nextel was formed as a PTT only system when it first came out it was in the form of a 2 way radio mounted in a lot of commercial vehicles, as I stated I worked as a wrecker driver for AAA and the became a recovery agent, I had the pleasure to use one the first handheld Nextel units it was the size of a brick but worked great my boss didn't adopt it at that time because of it's size and cost! Nextel then came out with a PPT unit that had the option to make cell calls but the PTT was still it's primary function and we used the instead of a trunked radio system that had limited range unless you paid for a repeater service and this cost was based on regions kind of like when we had to deal with roaming, the reason why we used Nextel was because it was secure and private keeping other tow company's with scanners from stealing our calls, the units with PTT and Cell abilities the PTT was the primary radio until they started marketing them to common consumers, also Nextel did have a higher data service for a while branded as WiDEN but they turned if off promising it was only temporary as they worked on updates WiDEN has not been active on the NEXTEL National Network since October 2005 this happened soon after Sprint acquired Nextel, the best move Sprint could make i to sell off the Nextel service and it revert back to PTT as it's primary function I know there is still a high demand for secure 2 way service even the military adopted because the frequencies used did not interfere with there equipment, I would rather loose the cell service and keep the PTT service! the only plus is most of the Nextel units have Direct Talk that I use very often for off network PTT when there is no service! I doubt Sprint or any other company will have this service since phones Like my I880 and I1x I believe have 3 separate radios 1. Cell 2. Network PTT 3. off network PTT since they have to reboot into the Direct Talk mode, but if they really do Iden service I will have a chance to buy a lot of cheap PTT phones for Direct Talk only ability's I wonder if Sprint had any idea the Iden networks primary function was PTT with added features when they purchased it? so if I have to live with Direct Talk only as I said I use a lot while hiking and such I will be limited to a 2-8 mile range but it is still secure they cant shut that off also I can still use Bluetooth and the propitiatory ear pieces for private 2 way, the units with the old connector had (Covert Earphone Headsets that were used by PI's, Body guards, and Government these were the units with the plastic tube going to your ear a Mic clipped to your vest hidden from view and a PTT button run down your sleeve for discreet operation the same type of system was used for the secret service! I have no idea what they are going to use when the shut down unless the old rumors about the US Government taking control of the Iden network for there exclusive us is true?

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There's not going to be any sale to NII, SouthernLinc or the US Government or anyone else. That ship sailed a long time ago.
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    There's not going to be any sale to NII, SouthernLinc or the US Government or anyone else. That ship sailed a long time ago.
    Evan, be gentle with them, man. Let them delude themselves that an angel from heaven will swoop down and reestablish the Kingdom of Nextel and crown King Donahue and Supreme Ruler O' Brien to rule the Earth forever. Widen shall rise from the grave and rule them all.

Feedback Score
    Evan, be gentle with them, man. Let them delude themselves that an angel from heaven will swoop down and reestablish the Kingdom of Nextel and crown King Donahue and Supreme Ruler O' Brien to rule the Earth forever. Widen shall rise from the grave and rule them all.
    And crown King Donahue and supreme leader Obrien laughed all the way to the the bank.The 36 billlion dollars and 20 million Iden customers were all but lost.Leaving the morons at Sprint with a very very expensive sliver of SMR spectrum.Has to rate as the dumbest deal ever by a US telecommunication firm.It probably can never be duplicated.You cant be that stupid twice.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Are you capable of having an intelligent conversation without all of the needless and sophomoric name calling?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsfan View Post
    And crown King Donahue and supreme leader Obrien laughed all the way to the the bank.The 36 billlion dollars and 20 million Iden customers were all but lost.Leaving the morons at Sprint with a very very expensive sliver of SMR spectrum.Has to rate as the dumbest deal ever by a US telecommunication firm.It probably can never be duplicated.You cant be that stupid twice.
    Yes, we know that! I was bashing the merger way back when. Sprint should have merged with Alltel and possibly USCC and some others and provided CDMA data roaming to Nextel. Let them reband then swoop in. Gary Forsee will live in infamy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast