Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nextel iDEN: Life On A Dying Network

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8350i
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL.|Communications
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    Why did you go back to iDEN? From reading your posts it *seemed* like SDC was working out quite well for you.
    It was working out very well! however, we had a handset issue from the very beginning that Sprint continued to tell me would get better with time. My teenage daughter had a Duracore, that would drop SDC, and roam all the time. They even sent us a Airave that the Kyoceras won't connect to!!

So, my daughter was heading back to school, and I couldn't let her walk back and forth with nothing. So I put her on my beloved Duramax, and much to Sprints chagrin I went back to my 8350i.

Two weeks later, Sprint called me and offered to switch me back for $.99! So I went to the local store and they told me no. After about three calls to CS, They decided that they would not do it because I already had one SDC unit issued to this line previously. I can't argue with that. But it was them that called me and made the offer...

Then, my tower went dark.

It's apparent that I made a bad decision, and now I must live with it. I really had no idea that they had accelerated the site shutdowns so fast.. I would not be surprised if most of the towers were down by years end...
    “Right now, I’m glad we have the iDEN network,” Hesse said. “I wouldn’t have said that 18 months ago, but I am now ... from a financial perspective.”

NEXTEL. Done. I guess that's "Life at SprintSpeed"

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; Opus One Build/RBE.00.00) AppleWebKit/528.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

We still got 2 lines of NDC but they have shutdown a lot towers here. By the end of the month I'm out. We already switched the rest of the lines to att because all the problems with SDC,handset selection, coverage and Sprints inability to hold a candle to att data speeds. Not to mention customer service although I rarely have to call att they are efficient when I do.

Feedback Score
    I'm a Sprint employee and I have an active iDEN line The only person in the store, and probably my district with an iDEN Blackberry live.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8350i
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL.|Communications
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Junkie View Post
    I'm a Sprint employee and I have an active iDEN line The only person in the store, and probably my district with an iDEN Blackberry live.
    I think I am going to ride it as long as I can.. Just for ha ha's, I changed my email signature line to read this...

"Sent from the last remaining blackberry on the Nextel Network"

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My wife still uses a Motorola Android on iDen... Yeah I know, right?
    She is a bit resistant to change so I suppose we will still have iDen in the house until the bitter end.

My job switched me out to Sprint CDMA so that I could use there proprietary management program on a WinMo smartphone. The company just dropped IDen from the work crews because of lost iDen towers in some work areas. They switched to Verizon for these phones because a seemingly indestructible Casio phone was offered.

Device(s)
    i680
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel and Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how long they will keep the service going? I still have one and plan on keeping it as long as possible.
    Service is almost non existant now at work, I have to go outside to get good signal, that was not the case before.
    The majority of the time the phone sits at my desk turned off with calls and texts being forwarded.
    If cdma had the forwarding option for texts like iDen I would have already swithced it over.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Still have service in the Ny hudson valley. Any new info on the shutdown date?

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Still 6/30/2013 AFAIK.
    Thrill me...

Feedback Score
    Well S&R and warranty stops beginning of 2013 for iDEN handsets it seems.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info!

Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    Got a letter the other day saying they're upping my nextel plan by $10 bucks in 2013. Have had it for over 12 years. Makes me ready to try pay as you go plans (probably PagePlus). Anyone else get a letter?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I did. Got it today.

I called Sprint to have them waive the ETF on one of the lines, since this is (I think) a material change to the contract. First they told me they couldn't do anything now, that we had to wait until January when the charge goes into effect. Then they said it wouldn't apply to me because my lines were open before June of this year.

The contract does say I have 30 days from when the charge first appears:

If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment.
    Unfortunately I will be closing my account before that time. I need iDEN since I roam in Mexico and there is no CDMA roaming agreement.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by havanahjoe View Post
    Unfortunately I will be closing my account before that time. I need iDEN since I roam in Mexico and there is no CDMA roaming agreement.
    You're going to close your account and go where exactly to get iDEN?

Device(s)
    HTC EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    You're going to close your account and go where exactly to get iDEN?
    I'm a business manager with Sprint and in these situations the only viable option has been for customer to retain a few IDEN devices on local PTT plans down in Mexico.

Feedback Score
    Is it the CDMA PTT phones or the CDMA PTT network that sucks? I have phones on both networks the ones on CDMA work poorly, poor signal, can't hear and the phones freeze. They claim three times the coverage but it seems like a third.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast