Thread: Rogers Charing when using a Calling Card Use on iPhone

Device(s)
    BB 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score

Rogers Charing when using a Calling Card Use on iPhone

Hi,

I got a call from my mother tonight that she is getting $120 overage bills ever since she switched to the iPhone 4S.
    We had a look online at the calling history and the times match when she used a calling card to call overseas. She is getting the transaction history from the calling card company tomorrow (hopefully) to prove this.

Has anyone else seen this? When she was using a BlackBerry she had no issues.

Is this an iPhone or Rogers issue?

DH is offline I've got more phones than fingers
    Feedback Score
    Rogers has never supported use of calling cards. It's her responsibility.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerky223 View Post
    Hi,

I got a call from my mother tonight that she is getting $120 overage bills ever since she switched to the iPhone 4S.
    We had a look online at the calling history and the times match when she used a calling card to call overseas. She is getting the transaction history from the calling card company tomorrow (hopefully) to prove this.

Has anyone else seen this? When she was using a BlackBerry she had no issues.

Is this an iPhone or Rogers issue?
    It would help if you posted how that $120 is itemized on your bill.

Feedback Score
    What normally happens is people call a long distance number on the card rather then the local call in number and get charged for the LD call.

I guess people forget what city they are in. I once had someone who was calling Toronto to Vancouver and thought because they were calling Vancouver they had to use the Vancouver number on the card and then dial the number they were calling.

Device(s)
    BB 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DH View Post
    Rogers has never supported use of calling cards. It's her responsibility.
    Are you sure about that? That makes no sense as her previous phones (LG Shine and BlackBerry 9700) all worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by B407 View Post
    It would help if you posted how that $120 is itemized on your bill.
    Partial charges for reviewing with some info masked:
    These times will match the calling card records when she gets them.
    Code:
    	Call Date and Time	Name	Number	      Rate   Length	Charges	LD Rate ($)	LD ($)	Total ($)
    	May 0x 06:yy	+Add Name	917xxxxxxxxx	WN	23:00	0.00	0.75	17.25	17.25
    	May 0x 07:yy	+Add Name	919xxxxxxxxx	WD	14:00	0.00	0.75	10.50	10.50
    	May 0x 13:yy	+Add Name	447xxxxxxxxx	WD	01:00	0.00	0.75	0.75	0.75
    	May 0y 06:yy	+Add Name	917xxxxxxxxx	WE	42:00	0.00	0.75	31.50	31.50
    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post
    What normally happens is people call a long distance number on the card rather then the local call in number and get charged for the LD call.

I guess people forget what city they are in. I once had someone who was calling Toronto to Vancouver and thought because they were calling Vancouver they had to use the Vancouver number on the card and then dial the number they were calling.
    She is calling a local number and even if she was calling another Canadian city it should be covered in her plan which is the Unlimited Voice and Text Plan (Local minutes) plus Unlimited Canadian Long Distance add-on.

What baffles me is this all started with the iPhone 4S.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible that what she did was call the calling card, but then instead of punching in the phone number on the dial pad, she used "Add Call" (placing a second simultaneous direct long distance call)?

Those numbers starting with 917, 919, 447 are not Canadian numbers. If she was making a long distance call through a calling card, Rogers would simply see her dialing the phone number on the card and that's all - they are not monitoring your calls so they have no way of knowing what number you punched into the card after you connected.

The best I can suggest is that you sit down beside her and ask her to show you what she does when she uses the calling card.

Device(s)
    BB 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Is it possible that what she did was call the calling card, but then instead of punching in the phone number on the dial pad, she used "Add Call" (placing a second simultaneous direct long distance call)?

Those numbers starting with 917, 919, 447 are not Canadian numbers. If she was making a long distance call through a calling card, Rogers would simply see her dialing the phone number on the card and that's all - they are not monitoring your calls so they have no way of knowing what number you punched into the card after you connected.

The best I can suggest is that you sit down beside her and ask her to show you what she does when she uses the calling card.
    I don't use an iPhone but I have played with them and never made a call on one.
    You could be totally correct in the way she is using it. Is this fairly easy to do? She lives in another province so it would be hard to sit down with her right now.
    What should be the proper steps in using the iPhone with a calling card? I can walk her through it.

**Edit***
    She only uses the calling card for Overseas calls, never Canadian numbers.

Another thought that comes to mind is, if she add a contact to the call, wouldn't the calling card call drop after a timeout delay? Her balances have been coming off at the exact rate she is on the calls and for the country she calls.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    The correct way would be to dial the phone number of the calling card, open up the touch tone pad during the call (I think it uses the word "Keypad", enter in the card PIN, and enter in the destination number, all using the touch tones.

The incorrect way would be to do either of the following:
    - Press "Add call" and dial the number - this will initiate a second DIRECT call to the number you type in. And yes, the calling card would auto time out and hang up after some time.
    - Press "contacts", choose a contact and tap a phone number to initiate a call - this will do the same, initiate a second DIRECT call.

It could be that she went into contacts and assumed that selecting a phone number from there would send it as touch tones rather than initiating another phone call. I don't know if the iPhone supports dialing contacts as touch tones from within a call.

Another alternative might be to get her set up with an app like Rebtel. Basically you add a balance to Rebtel, go into the app and choose your contacts from within there. It will make the call either over a local access number, or VoIP over wifi or 3G depending on how you set it up.

Device(s)
    iPhone4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post

You think people would have common sense.

Device(s)
    iPhone4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    By the way 447 and 917 are American area codes, so she was making LD calls, which are what you got billed for.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    They could have also been calls to the UK +44 (where cellphone numbers begin with 07 but you omit the 0 from abroad) and India +91. That would explain the 75˘/minute.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by z24gta View Post
    By the way 447 and 917 are American area codes, so she was making LD calls, which are what you got billed for.
    They are not American area codes, but are country codes from India (+91) and the UK (+44).

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    As well, your mother could had gone over her monthly minutes, if unlimited after 6 and she starts calling at 5:55 for 2 hours her call is billable as not unlimited as call initiated prior to unlimited hours.

As well you state as soon as 4s, maybe she's using data or her plan was changed to get 4s( minutes/etc... )

Also, your mother may have #'s in contacts and assumes shes using calling cards, as some phones allow calling cards to be preprogrammed in to use for calls, I know iphones don;t have this and you need to change all contact #'s to #####calling card,pause, pause, pause, code, pause, pause, # for contact.

As well as mentioned most calling cards are not local calls

Device(s)
    BB 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    The correct way would be to dial the phone number of the calling card, open up the touch tone pad during the call (I think it uses the word "Keypad", enter in the card PIN, and enter in the destination number, all using the touch tones.

- Press "Add call" and dial the number - this will initiate a second DIRECT call to the number you type in. And yes, the calling card would auto time out and hang up after some time.
    - Press "contacts", choose a contact and tap a phone number to initiate a call - this will do the same, initiate a second DIRECT call.

It could be that she went into contacts and assumed that selecting a phone number from there would send it as touch tones rather than initiating another phone call. I don't know if the iPhone supports dialing contacts as touch tones from within a call.

Another alternative might be to get her set up with an app like Rebtel. Basically you add a balance to Rebtel, go into the app and choose your contacts from within there. It will make the call either over a local access number, or VoIP over wifi or 3G depending on how you set it up.
    Thanks, I will go over the process with her today over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by z24gta View Post
    +91 = India, +44 = UK.

They could have also been calls to the UK +44 (where cellphone numbers begin with 07 but you omit the 0 from abroad) and India +91. That would explain the 75˘/minute.
    You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by v3inew View Post
    They are not American area codes, but are country codes from India (+91) and the UK (+44).
    That's right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyz View Post
    As well, your mother could had gone over her monthly minutes, if unlimited after 6 and she starts calling at 5:55 for 2 hours her call is billable as not unlimited as call initiated prior to unlimited hours.

As well you state as soon as 4s, maybe she's using data or her plan was changed to get 4s( minutes/etc... )

Also, your mother may have #'s in contacts and assumes shes using calling cards, as some phones allow calling cards to be preprogrammed in to use for calls, I know iphones don;t have this and you need to change all contact #'s to #####calling card,pause, pause, pause, code, pause, pause, # for contact.

As well as mentioned most calling cards are not local calls
    She can't go over her minutes. She has the $70 Unlimited Voice and Text which is 24/7 + the $10 Unlimited Canadian Long Distance.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Another option would be to get a calling card app. There are some (one called 'Calling Card') that are not tied to any specific calling card vendor. You enter and store one or more calling card numbers in the app, then use the app to select a calling card to use and a contact to call. The app places the call and inputs the contact number. Seems like it would be fairly seamless, other than having to train mom to use a third party app when calling overseas.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast