Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Family plan across states

Feedback Score
    I assume this is for revenue purposes, since having family members scattered across the country means they lose out on the lucrative single line fees.

I currently have a family plan with phones in Portland, Oregon, and Spokane, Washington but they are in the same "Region" so it is permitted. I tried to add a Las Vegas, Nevada number, but was denied due to the location.

I suspect when AT&T rolls out their "Shared Minutes/Data" plan, they will allow you to have different regions included if they pattern it after VZ with up to 10 lines possible, but who knows?

Device(s)
    Still trying to find the perfect one :)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I assume this is for revenue purposes, since having family members scattered across the country means they lose out on the lucrative single line fees.
    Odd part is they were themselves suggesting what others here have said: just have her use a number with my area code in her state. In other words - they didn't care if a person used a phone 100% of the time in a different area code.

I'm sure every decision is tied to revenue but in this case they weren't pushing for her to get a single line.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm a bit surprised after reading this thread. I assumed that carriers didn't care about this. I use to work at Verizon, and having accounts with different area codes in different states wasn't a big deal.

- VDubb

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mac Ace View Post
    the only way to have a cross market account is to be in NBI, which they don't do for individual accounts anymore.
    How do you get on an NBI account?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by altNz View Post
    Funny to come across this thread as I was helping a friend with this issue recently. We ran into this problem within State as California is divided into several different "markets" and you supposedly can't combine numbers from different markets into a family plan. After some research we found out about NBI, but NBI required us to convert to a business account that required a minimum of 7 lines! My friend finally decided to return the phone to a very reputable at&t corporate store which miraculously could combine the numbers into a family plan! So I would say persistence should allow you to get your mother on a family plan.

One other option I can recommend as a last resort is porting your mother's number to Googlevoice and then having all her calls forward to the new number.
    Florida has several markets a well...Texas too I think. And I've seen an NBI account with two lines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Local markets are not restricted to one area code or even one state. The National Capital market includes parts of Maryland and Virginia as well as the District of Columbia. The New York City market includes parts of Connecticut, New Jersey and New York. The same thing might apply in the Chicago and Saint Louis markets.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Local markets are not restricted to one area code or even one state. The National Capital market includes parts of Maryland and Virginia as well as the District of Columbia. The New York City market includes parts of Connecticut, New Jersey and New York. The same thing might apply in the Chicago and Saint Louis markets.
    But they have different area codes. The NYC market oozes into part of the 203 (Connecticut).

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post

I currently have a family plan with phones in Portland, Oregon, and Spokane, Washington but they are in the same "Region" so it is permitted. I tried to add a Las Vegas, Nevada number, but was denied due to the location.

I suspect when AT&T rolls out their "Shared Minutes/Data" plan, they will allow you to have different regions included if they pattern it after VZ with up to 10 lines possible, but who knows?
    This isn't some case of AT&T wanting extra revenue. The billing systems are seperate between regions (except I guess NBI). VZW etc. ditched these restrictions quite a while ago but it isn't really trivial.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    This isn't some case of AT&T wanting extra revenue. The billing systems are seperate between regions (except I guess NBI). VZW etc. ditched these restrictions quite a while ago but it isn't really trivial.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums
    You'd think so, but nope..Its all the same system now, has been for nearly 4 years now. It is still a system issue and not a tinfoil hat revenue scheme.

I have heard for about 3 years that IT is working on a solution that doesn't require reworking the entire system but who knows.
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2