Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Note Ice Cream Sandwich update with Premium Suite available tomorrow.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Samsung Galaxy Note Ice Cream Sandwich update with Premium Suite available tomorrow.

Samsung just announced that their Android 4.0 upgrade for Canadian Galaxy Notes is coming tomorrow. It includes Premium Suite software which are programs that use the Note's S Pen.

You can now use the S Pen to solve mathematical formulas along with tables and grids. You can also write out questions and get answers.

Other new features include My Story, Face Unlock, Android Beam and the Data Usage feature in settings.

Samsung Canada offers Premium Suite software upgrade for GALAXY Note users
    Software package offers exclusive S Pen applications, enhanced multimedia features, and an Android 4.0 upgrade

MISSISSAUGA, July 12, 2012 – Samsung Canada today announced that the Premium Suite upgrade for GALAXY Note users will be available starting tomorrow. It includes extra multimedia features and a range of new S Pen optimized applications in addition to an OS upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

The Premium Suite offers new features and applications exclusive to GALAXY Note and its innovative S Pen, which includes the option to download the free app, S Note, a unique tool that lets you combine your notes or sketches with other digital content, giving you a new way to create your own stories. S Note comes in various ready-to-use templates for a range of tasks including meeting minutes, diary and others.

“GALAXY Note continues to delight Canadian customers with its incredible versatility and unique user experience,” said Paul Brannen, Vice President Enterprise Business Group at Samsung Canada. “With the Premium Suite upgrade, we added features that enrich the GALAXY Note experience, including the highly anticipated upgrade to Android 4.0 software and innovative applications to S Pen functionality.”

S Note also includes the innovative Shape Match and Formula Match applications that help correct and digitize geometric shapes and even solve mathematical formulas hand-drawn with S Pen, increasing your on-the-go efficiency and productivity. You can draw tables and grids which are instantly digitized, saving time and effort. Moreover, by using the S Note’s integrated knowledge search engine, Wolfram Alpha, users can quickly search, and obtain information by simply writing out a question.

For a touch of self-expression, the Premium Suite also includes My Story (which is a download from S Choice), another S Pen optimized application that allows you to create personalized digital cards for friends or family using any type of content including notes, video content, photos, text or voice.

The Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade brings a new user experience to Android on GALAXY Note, with a more intuitive user interface that includes a redesigned App menu for easier multi-tasking. The upgrade also introduces innovations such as Face Unlock, Data Usage, Android Beam and others.

Availability:
    The Premium Suite upgrade for GALAXY Note users will be available from Canadian carriers tomorrow. For specific details, please contact your local carrier.
    Last edited by howard; 07-12-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Carrier(s)
    chatr, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It's available now!!! System Update.

Device(s)
    Moto525
    Feedback Score
    Samsung is also a good choice.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Downloading now. It's a 250MB OTA update.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Got it installed now. It shows as 4.0.4.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using HowardForums
    Dragonstar
    Vegetarians eat vegetables.
    Beware humanitarians.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I started out using the OTA method but it stopped when the download was almost finished so now I'm updating via Kies.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Okay, it's done updating. I've only used it for a few minutes but at a glance things haven't changed that much. I'm not happy that my icons have been re-arranged in alphabetical order. Other then that to me the biggest update is how you can close programs by using the task switcher. That's an ICS feature. The addition of Android Beam is nice if you have friends who also have this feature.

I'll play with the new S Pen specific apps for a while and update this thread with my findings.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just ran a quick benchmark. SunSpider scores are basically the same as with Gingerbread so the update doesn't improve or degrade performance in this respect.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Just ran a quick benchmark. SunSpider scores are basically the same as with Gingerbread so the update doesn't improve or degrade performance in this respect.
    Spoke too soon. SunSpider have improved about 150ms. It's not something you'd notice even if you had a ICS and a Gingerbread Note side-by-side but it's worth pointing out.

The camera is still very slow but it's faster than I remember.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Q10 (v.3 w/ LTE 2600mhz band)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Just updated rogers wireless galaxy note........!

Summary.........amazing!!!!!!!

Last edited by cellphonejunky; 07-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Any idea where the premium suite is?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to use the note to solve equations but can't figure it out (the irony)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm tempted to pick up a Note now

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to use the note to solve equations but can't figure it out (the irony)
    Okay, turns out you have to use S Note to solve equations (along with the other features). S Note is a seperate download. It's kind of confusing because S Memo is included with the Note whereas S Note is a seperate download (Memo and Note are synonyms).

Anyways, I'm not able to download anything from Samsung Apps. It gives me an error about my country everytime I try to download something. I also can't figure out how to change my country. Everytime I try to change my information I get a processing failure message :P

Anyone able to download S Note?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Okay, turns out I had to create a new Samsung App account. S Note is a hefty 75MB download.

Name:  Screenshot_2012-07-13-17-17-45.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  47.4 KBName:  Screenshot_2012-07-13-17-21-06.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  24.2 KB

Besides allowing you to draw out notes you can use it to solve mathematical formulas, draw shapes, recognize text as well as recognize and answer hand written questions.

While everyone's different I don't see how any of these features are useful. S Note uses Wolfram Alpha to solve the formulas along with all the questions feature.

The mathematical formula feature is pretty cool. Are Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Howard going to sue Samsung over this feature?

Name:  Screenshot_2012-07-13-17-15-55.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  28.6 KBName:  Screenshot_2012-07-13-17-16-31.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  22.4 KBName:  Screenshot_2012-07-13-17-16-42.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  26.9 KB

As for the drawing shapes what it does is takes your hand drawn shapes and 'cleans up' the lines and curves. It's probably more useful for complex shapes since S Note already has an option for you to choose pre-drawn shapes.

Name:  Screenshot_2012-07-13-17-21-47.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  31.1 KBName:  Screenshot_2012-07-13-17-23-16.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  25.4 KB

The question feature isn't useful at all. The Note has a hard time recognizing my (admittedly difficult to read) hand writing. I don't see how this is any more useful than using your browser to search Wolfram Alpha.

As for the handwriting recognition I've never understood the point of it when you can use the built-in keyboard.

The features in S Note are definitely cool but I'm not sure how useful most people will find them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast