Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Burr running Windows Phone 8

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Nokia Burr running Windows Phone 8

I'm working on my Nokia 610 review right now and noticed this when I was running WPBench.

Name:  20120716_211214-001.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  48.5 KB

Seems one of Nokia's upcoming Windows Phone 8 devices is code named 'Burr' and it's running OS 8.0.9743. I tried to look up its score but couldn't find it.

Anyone excited for Windows Phone 8?

Feedback Score
    Definitely...

As much as I love WP7 it only gets better with 8...

I just don't know how I will convince santa to get me a surface as well!

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Definitely!

However, I will be keeping my Lumia 710 with 7.8 at least until next summer, as there may not be that many must-have WP8-only apps out in the first few months. Hopefully by that time a whole whack of WP8 phones will be out, and perhaps Nokia will have launched several with its Pureview camera. Hopefully one of them will be priced in the mid-range - my personal "sweetspot" when it comes to new phones.

I'm probably going to pick up a Surface Pro to compliment, not replace, my 4year old MacBook running both the Mac OS and Windows. It's starting to show its age and I'm not happy with the performance of Windows within Parallels. I'll wait several months after it's release though.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Like you, Big Ang, I probably will wait a bit before jumping to wp8. My HD7 is still going strong and so assuming 7.8 is good, I will use it for a while longer. I am really interested in the surface pro, maybe when you get it you can review it for us.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    Like you, Big Ang, I probably will wait a bit before jumping to wp8. My HD7 is still going strong and so assuming 7.8 is good, I will use it for a while longer. I am really interested in the surface pro, maybe when you get it you can review it for us.

Sure, but I think by the time I buy the Surface Pro it will be old news, with everyone anticipating the Surface Pro 2!

You have an HD7? Isn't that the phone that runs EVERYTHING? If they remake Independence Day, they'll need to use an HD7 to hack into the alien technology - that's the only phone that's guaranteed to do it!

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ang View Post
    Sure, but I think by the time I buy the Surface Pro it will be old news, with everyone anticipating the Surface Pro 2!

You have an HD7? Isn't that the phone that runs EVERYTHING? If they remake Independence Day, they'll need to use an HD7 to hack into the alien technology - that's the only phone that's guaranteed to do it!
    The one that that one is the HD2, which I just read is now running JellyBean (although probably not real well). My buddy had one and he had win95 running on it at one point, as well as ubuntu.

The HD7 (although I think is essentially the same phone) was released with WP7 on it. It was my wife's, she liked my DellVenuePro a lot better because of the keyboard (which I never even used) so we swapped.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    As long as 7.8 gets IE10 I'm excited. If it doesn't, then I'm quite upset with the platform as a whole.
    Sent from my Lumia 710 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    What advantages does IE 10 have over IE 9? I heard that WP 7.8 will have IE9 while WP 8 will have IE 10, but didn't bother to find out the difference.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Are there any x86 WP8 cellphones in the pipeline, along with the 20 or so x86 WP8 tablets?

Is Windows 8 being built so that XP/W7 legacy desktop apps will be upward compatible?

I'm an Android person who is becoming excited by the prospect of having access to my old familiar Windows desktop apps -- like VLC, for one -- on my cellphone.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    [From DX by HoFo app.]
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Ie9 has insufficient html5 handling.

Only arm cell phones

Windows 8 x86 will be backwards compatible, windows rt will not

Vlc would have to be ported to winrt to work on your phone

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Took a few re-readings...

No x86 phones ... until? Or none in the foreseeable future?

Any likelihood of an LTE (vzw) + WiFi x86 Pro tablet?

So VLC (and many other legacy W7 desktop apps) should dl, install & run normally on Surface Pro? Any date yet for that x86 tablet?

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    At the moment, phones are snapdragon only. So maybe x86 eventually, but Intel doesn't have any dual core phone chips yet.

Nothing announced for Verizon yet, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Win 8 Pro surface is probably coming out January 26, but there are some other windows 8 pro tablets from other manufacturers on October 26 that should be quite interesting as well.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I wouldn't be interested in any Win8 ARM device. It's the single format from x86 PC to tablet to cell idea that appeals to me. Looking like a big Q4 coming up for everybody.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    By the time Windows 9 comes about, that'll be much more of a reality. Not because of an x86 phone but because of many more Metro apps

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    the idea of trying to cram a PC, or PC like apps on a phone is just stupid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast