Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Won’t Deny It Plans To Charge Extra For FaceTime Calls

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T Won’t Deny It Plans To Charge Extra For FaceTime Calls

Some folks who are currently monkeying around with a beta version of the next iOS operating system for iPhones say they are getting a message from AT&T that seems to imply that the Death Star will be charging more -- or at least separately -- for subscribers who want to use the iPhone's FaceTime chat over a cellular connection.
    The editors at 9to5mac.com were the first ones to notice that, when trying to use iOS 6's FaceTime over Cellular feature on an AT&T iPhone, a message popped up stating: "To enable FaceTime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T..."
    A test on a Verizon device didn't bring up any such message, which seemed to imply that AT&T will charge a separate fee for using the FaceTime feature.
    But all the company will say is, "We’re working closely with Apple on the new developer build of iOS6 and we’ll share more information with our customers as it becomes available."
    This would fall in line with AT&T's stated regret that it ever offered unlimited data plans to customers in the first place. Since it stopped offering unlimited data, AT&T has been looking into other ways, like having app developers foot the bill for some of the data chewed up by users, to push data costs off on others.
    AT&T appears set to control and charge for FaceTime over Cellular in iOS 6 [9to5mac.com]
    http://consumerist.com/2012/07/att-w...ime-calls.html

Looks like the double charging may be getting some legs! And I wonder is Apple get it 40%?

Feedback Score
    You mean like Verizon's charging different amounts for smartphone and dumbphone voice/text and for ipad and data card data?

AT&T's only said they're working on pricing, NOT that they'll double charge. If they double charge I'll be as vocally opposed as anyone, but my instinct tells me they WON'T charge data on FaceTime 3G calls, rather they'll be a special type of (overpriced) minute. Just like UMTS video calling was back in the day.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Divvy the pot!

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    You mean like Verizon's charging different amounts for smartphone and dumbphone voice/text and for ipad and data card data?

AT&T's only said they're working on pricing, NOT that they'll double charge. If they double charge I'll be as vocally opposed as anyone, but my instinct tells me they WON'T charge data on FaceTime 3G calls, rather they'll be a special type of (overpriced) minute. Just like UMTS video calling was back in the day.
    Interesting take on what I said. I don't remember ever mentioning Verizon, but you stuck it in as a diversion (no worries that's hofo for you). The larger point is separate charges may be beginning, increasing revenue. I think we will all see that if this does happen it will open the floodgates for new "improved" charges, so put on your raincoats!

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    My gut feeling: shared data plans are coming and AT&T is going to use THIS to force people off their unlimited plans.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note8, Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If that ever happened, I get the feeling everyone will leave AT&T with there iPhones. Ppl will get all there iPhones unlocked and leave to another carrier my iphone is factory unlocked just in case they pull something like that. Thanks for the post it was very informative

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T knows a lot of customers will complain and some will cancel but in the end the majority will accept the new charge.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eliechart View Post
    If that ever happened, I get the feeling everyone will leave AT&T with there iPhones. Ppl will get all there iPhones unlocked and leave to another carrier my iphone is factory unlocked just in case they pull something like that. Thanks for the post it was very informative
    I thought that you had a GoPhone account. How would this affect you?
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    I really hope all of us AT&T users leave as soon as they try to double charge us to use data for FaceTime. That's horrible and we are the only people (their customers) that can put a stop to their outlandish behavior.

Device(s)
    Apple
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Couturier View Post
    I really hope all of us AT&T users leave as soon as they try to double charge us to use data for FaceTime. That's horrible and we are the only people (their customers) that can put a stop to their outlandish behavior.
    A lot of people use AT&T because it's the only option that work's good enough where they live.

Feedback Score
    Use Skype?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Of course they won't deny it.
    It's another revenue stream for AT&T just like hotspot and tethering services with AT&T.
    Anything data oriented, AT&T is going to find a way to make extra money off it.

How's shareable data coming along with AT&T?
    Still trying finding a way to bilk the consumer more than what Verizon Wireless can?

Quote Originally Posted by Nardva View Post
    AT&T knows a lot of customers will complain and some will cancel but in the end the majority will accept the new charge.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using HowardForums
    Just like the data tiers and throttling.
    Those who threw a ruckus left for Sprint, while the rest sucked it up and stayed with AT&T.
    The quarterly numbers may not have been the greatest compared to the previous years, but it appeared to show that people still come to AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Samsung Captivate, MiFi 2200
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    At the end of the day I will just jailbreak my iPhone so I can use MY data that I PAID for the way I WANT. These arguments had legs when Unlimited was reality, but now, if I pay for 5GB, I should be able to use 5GB however I want. Its like charging you for a gallon of milk but saying it will cost extra to add it to cereal.
    Rock, Chalk!

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Another garbage post from the consumerist I mean CA. I think we should all get angry and blow things out of proportion because AT&T is evil and they will do anything to make a dime.

Oh what's that? There are already FaceTime like apps on android that work on 3/4G? Oh I'm sure they will put a stop to that.

/s

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
    AT&T is evil and they will do anything to make a dime.
    Very true from personal experience. And "anything" includes fraud.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast