Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Won’t Deny It Plans To Charge Extra For FaceTime Calls

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
    Another garbage post from the consumerist I mean CA. I think we should all get angry and blow things out of proportion because AT&T is evil and they will do anything to make a dime.

Oh what's that? There are already FaceTime like apps on android that work on 3/4G? Oh I'm sure they will put a stop to that.

/s
    You again! I thought you were still hiding after I exposed you of being one of those wayward sales dudes that help themselves and ignore their customers wishes. That was about a year ago, dude!

Btw, this any better! 9to5mac
    ike it does with the iOS Personal Hotspot feature, U.S. carrier AT&T appears set to control and charge for the iOS 6 FaceTime over Cellular feature. This iOS 6 enhancement brings the formally WiFi only iOS device video calling feature into a more useful state, letting people use the feature practically anywhere they may be. AT&T provided us with the following statement:
    We’re working closely with Apple on the new developer build of iOS6 and we’ll share more information with our customers as it becomes available.
    We attempted to bring up the same same error message when enabling the FaceTime over Cellular feature on a Verizon iPad WiFi + Cellular, but the feature enabled without an issue. AT&T charges for a separate plan to use Personal Hotspot on its network, and the carrier appears set to replicate that process with FaceTime over Cellular.To replicate the process of receiving the above error message, you need to restore your network settings. It is also appearing for some people who have restored to iOS 6 beta 3.With the large amount of data that a FaceTime call over Cellular uses, it doesn’t seem like a stretch for AT&T to want to charge for the feature. At this time, other iOS device carrier-partner plans are unclear, but AT&T is the first carrier that demonstrates evidence (in iOS 6 beta 3) for a plan to charge for the feature.

Read more at http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/16/att-ap...y3jqFbiK2eL.99

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/16/att-ap...aOI6qP11ZJf.99

And will any of this be a new commission dollars for sales!

Again!

With the large amount of data that a FaceTime call over Cellular uses, it doesn’t seem like a stretch for AT&T to want to charge for the feature. At this time, other iOS device carrier-partner plans are unclear, but AT&T is the first carrier that demonstrates evidence (in iOS 6 beta 3) for a plan to charge for the feature.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ANTHONY HA
    posted yesterday

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson took the stage this afternoon at the Fortune Brainstorm Tech conference in Aspen, where he was asked about a recent report in 9toMac that AT&T might charge customers extra if they want to use FaceTime over 3G cellular networks (a feature that was announced for iOS 6).
    The company previously offered a generic “we’ll share more information with our customers as it becomes available” statement with 9to5Mac. Stephenson didn’t go too much further, but he certainly didn’t rule the charge out.
    “I’ve heard the same rumor,” he said, insisting that for now, AT&T is focused on working with Apple to get the technology stabilized, so “it’s too early to talk about pricing.”
    Speaking of controversial pricing news from AT&T, Stephenson was also asked about the “toll free” data idea that been the company has been discussing, where app developers pay for their users’ data usage, either with a direct payment or by giving AT&T a cut of ad revenues.
    Stephenson acknowledged that this is something people get “emotional” about (when the idea was first reported, our own Jordan Crook called it a “boondoggle”), but he compared it to toll-free, 1-800 phone numbers. Just as it helps Sears to pay the bill for calls from its customers, there are mobile companies that have “business models premised on traffic,” so why not pay to remove any barriers to that traffic? In fact, Stephenson claimed this is something that some of the content providers are asking AT&T for.
    To easy!

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/17/att-facetime-charge/

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I've used FaceTime maybe once or twice in the last two years so not something I would miss at all.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I doubt anyone is going to care THAT much.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Tango. 10char

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I doubt anyone is going to care THAT much.
    Yep ..... I hardly use the feature that much.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This story is not about FaceTime, as much as it is about opening the revenue doors.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    That's true. It's prob the start of more streams flowing. Makes me think of a bladder with a garden hose hooked up to it as a catheter. Keep on flowing the revenue stream
    Last edited by themanhimself; 07-18-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    "With the large amount of data that a FaceTime call over Cellular uses, it doesn’t seem like a stretch for AT&T to want to charge for the feature. At this time, other iOS device carrier-partner plans are unclear, but AT&T is the first carrier that demonstrates evidence (in iOS 6 beta 3) for a plan to charge for the feature."

This makes no sense. Isn't that's what the limited data and overage fees are designed to make up for? I guess AT&T could be applying a charge to Unlimited Data users, or it's also possible they could allow unlimited FaceTime (so that FaceTime doesn't eat into your data allowance).

- VDubb

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    As mentioned above, AT&T once had Video Share features which were charged by the minute and were not counted against your data allowances. It used the ims.cingular APN and did not require you to have a data plan at all.
    http://www.att.com/Common/merger/fil...eoshare_FS.pdf
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This discussion reminds me about a video conferencing feature that I think At&t first proposed in late 2006 or early 2007. As I recall, it did not use regular airtime or billable data (similar to MMS), rather it used a separate allotment of video conferencing minutes at an additional cost/feature. I wonder if this is the next genesis of that technology. Not sure whatever happened to the original feature.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Jailbreak, then install My3G.
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    You again! I thought you were still hiding after I exposed you of being one of those wayward sales dudes that help themselves and ignore their customers wishes. That was about a year ago, dude!

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/16/att-ap...aOI6qP11ZJf.99

And will any of this be a new commission dollars for sales!

Again!

Nope that wasn't me but it doesn't surprise me that your fake "unbiased" self would think of something like that.

But please keep spamming this forum with your site so I can continue reporting you for violating the TOS.

Search the forum for consumerist and you will see one name continually come up.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The joke continues to be on the sheep who buy their phones through the provider instead of directly from the manufacturer, so that the provider can't get its grubby hands on the software running on said device.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
    so I can continue reporting you for violating the TOS.
    Would you post these TOS here so I can see what you're talking about?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast