Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AT&T shared data plans, available late August.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

AT&T shared data plans, available late August.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/07/18/att-sh...g-launch-date/

AT&T on Wednesday announced the upcoming availability of new shared data plans. Following Verizon’s lead, AT&T’s new plans will allow subscribers to share data between family members and also between devices. Dubbed “AT&T Mobile Share” plans, the new offerings start at $40 per month plus $45 per smartphone for unlimited voice minutes and messaging and 1GB of data, and top out at $200 plus $30 per smartphone for unlimited voice and texts plus 20GB of data. Additional data costs $15 per gigabyte. Feature phones can be added to the new plans for $30 per device, connected laptops cost $20 each, and tablets can be added for $10 per device. The new plans do not replace AT&T’s existing data plans, which will remain available following the launch of the new AT&T Mobile Share plans. AT&T’s press release follows below.

Name:  att-shared-data-plans-2.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  34.2 KB

AT&T GIVES CUSTOMERS MORE CHOICE WITH NEW
    SHARED WIRELESS DATA PLANS

New Mobile Share Plans Allow Customers to Easily Share Data Across

Smartphones, Tablets and Other Devices

New and Current Customers Not Required To Choose or Switch to Shared Plans

DALLAS, JULY 18, 2012 — AT&T* customers will soon have more options in choosing the plan that’s right for them and their mobile devices. With new AT&T Mobile Share plans, available in late August, new and existing customers can share a single bucket of data across smartphones, tablets, and other compatible devices, plus get unlimited talk and text. AT&T Mobile Share plans make it easy for customers to manage their data, voice minutes and texting, without needing to keep track of multiple plans.

Customers can select one of the new shared data plans or choose one of AT&T’s existing individual or family plans. Current customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension. There are no changes to AT&T’s device upgrade policy, which means customers eligible to upgrade to AT&T’s best device price are not required to switch plans. The new plans will also be available for business customers.

With AT&T Mobile Share plans, customers start by choosing how much data they want each month, then choose up to 10 devices to attach to their shared plan, one of which must be a smartphone. Each plan includes tethering and unlimited domestic calls and texts for smartphones and basic or quick messaging phones. The larger the data bucket you choose, the less you pay per gigabyte and the less you pay for each smartphone added to the shared plan.

AT&T Mobile Share allows customers to essentially build a plan to fit their devices and usage. Customers who are more data-centric can choose a larger data bucket. Customers who typically use more voice than data can add multiple smartphones and basic phones and opt for a smaller data bucket.

“We offer customers a broad choice and the best lineup of plans, now enhanced by Mobile Share,” said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility. “With these new plans, the more you share, the more you save. They’ll be a good fit for a variety of new and existing customers. But if customers want to stay on their current plan or choose from our existing plans, they can do that, too. It’s their choice.

“Today we think of people’s smartphones and tablets sharing a bucket of data. But in the future we’ll see health care monitors, connected cars, security systems and other devices in the home all connected to the mobile Internet,” said Christopher. “Our Mobile Share plans are simple, easy and a great value for individuals or families with multiple mobile Internet devices.”

Mobile Share plans give customers more control over how, where and on what device they use data — which has become more important as people use more data devices. You can choose to use more of your data bucket on your tablet, for example, or tap into your data bucket only when needed for devices you use occassionally. And by consolidating data plans, you can take advantage of any data you currently have unused each month by efficiently sharing it across devices.

“The ‘more you share, the more you save’ concept is one that will resonate well with customers because of the value provided through the Mobile Share data plans themselves and in smartphone connection fees,” said Roger Entner, Founder and Lead Analyst of Recon Analytics. “AT&T also is providing its customers with flexibility and choice by keeping its existing data plans and not requiring customers to move to Mobile Share unless they want to. It’s a win-win for both AT&T and its customers.”

To help customers track their data usage, AT&T keeps users informed with courtesy alerts as they near their data allowance for the month. Also, customers can check their usage at anytime online, through the myAT&T mobile app, or by calling *DATA# from their mobile phone.

Each data plan also includes access to more than 30,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots — the nation’s largest Wi-Fi network** among wireless carriers — at no additional charge. Wi-Fi usage at public hotspots, home or office does not count toward the monthly wireless data plan usage.

Customers can learn more about the new plans and determine which plan is best for them at www.att.com/mobileshare.

Fixed the typo, BGR originally reported 200gb,not 20gb.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nucleartx; 07-18-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Insert text
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $80.99/month

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    So much for hoping the vzw plans would flop and ATT would get a boat load of new customers.

Feedback Score
    "...It’s a win-win for both AT&T and its customers."

I disagree. It is only a matter of time before everyone will be forced into those plans, whose sole purpose is not to make it easier for customers to add devices, but rather make it easier for AT&T to make more money.

$30 for a non-smartphone? That's double what you pay now under a family share plan with taxes. They are essentially raising prices on services that have become less and less expensive to provide as technology progresses.

Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I haven't done a full comparison, but the $150 for two smartphones and 10 GB or $190 for 15 GB seem okay to me. The lower end sucks, but Verizon and AT&T have always been on the same pricing structure so this isn't much of a surprise.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It just isn't fair to the consumer that the two largest cell companies in the US can fix prices the way they do. It's like they'be agreed behind closed doors not to compete based on price.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneObsessive View Post
    So much for hoping the vzw plans would flop and ATT would get a boat load of new customers.
    This could still happen. It looks like AT&T isn't forcing new customers over to the new plans like Verizon. I'm guessing that there is a reason why AT&T has decided to continue offering the traditional individual and shared plans.

However, since Verizon's existing customers are grandfathered on their current plans, any changes will probably be reflected in new activation numbers next quarter.
    Bars are not a true indication of signal strength or quality.

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    A few interesting items of note:

The more data you buy the less you monthly smartphone rate is - you start at $45/mo with 1g, $40/mo with 4g and $35/mo with 6g, so you are in essence getting a bigger discount off of your additional data.

It's not required - yet.

What I don't understand is the $30 mo for dumbphones. It drives me crazy. Especially if you have the 10g of data plan, your dumbphone cost is the same as your smartphone cost.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    People complained about paying more for data on smartphones. The data charges are the same no matter what device you use. The fee per device is what you pay to join the plan. Customers have always paid the same prices for voice service and messaging plans no matter what devices they used.

An improvement would be to offer a lower price for those customers who do not want unlimited voice and to offer it for those who have a basic phone plus other devices such as hotspots, tablet or laptops.
    Last edited by efparri; 07-18-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I do like that att seem to be keeping the old plans around, at least for a while. Gives the consumer the choice

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hjmlm View Post
    What I don't understand is the $30 mo for dumbphones. It drives me crazy. Especially if you have the 10g of data plan, your dumbphone cost is the same as your smartphone cost.
    I think the idea is to get more people onto smartphones so more data is consumed, which leads to more money for AT&T when people go over their limit or are forced to upgrade for more data.

- VDubb

Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here is a good chart from Techno Buffalo comparing Verizon and AT&T. Basically they are different ways to get to the same price point in terms of data vs cost. Interesting that AT&T has decided to offer higher GB plans. I wonder if Verizon will add to their offerings. I am also curious how corporate discounts will be applied.

I do like that AT&T has decided to keep old plans for now.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/news/wi...a-plans-chart/
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is an error in the chart for the existing data plans offered by AT&T:

DataPlus 300MB for Smartphone 4G LTE $20
    DataPlus 300MB for Smartphone 4G LTE $30
    It should read:
    DataPlus 300MB for Smartphone 4G LTE $20
    DataPro 3GB for Smartphone 4G LTE $30

Feedback Score
    How will FAN discounts apply? Right now I get 23% off voice and data. So my unlimited data, 450 plan, 1000 texts comes to $69/month. I also have an iPad for $30/month on a 3gb plan. Due to switching to google voice, an unanticipated change in usage was my heavily increased minute usage. My FAN discount doesn't apply to unlimited minutes so the change is worrying me (an additional $40 or so a month). Right now I am surviving on roll over minutes but those will be exhausted in another 2 or 3 months...need to make a decision soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    People complained about paying more for data on smartphones. The data charges are the same no matter what device you use. The fee per device is what you pay to join the plan. Customers have always paid the same prices for voice service and messaging plans no matter what devices they used.

An improvement would be to offer a lower price for those customers who do not want unlimited voice and to offer it for those who have a basic phone plus other devices such as hotspots, tablet or laptops.
    I do agree that unlimited voice and text should be the same cost no matter what classification of phone you have. After only a quick look at the prices, it seems as if ATTM's pricing for shared data plans is nearly the same as VZW and in some cases more expensive. Yet it looks as if ATTM is offering the customer the choice between existing plans or new plans, both current and new customers. So really it seems that ATTM and VZW had those in charge of pricing working together or ATTM just decided to mimic VZW's pricing with some minor differences, which they'll claim prove they came up with this pricing all on their own. In any case, it's lose-lose for the customers who hoped ATTM might actually offer a reasonable alternative to VZW's latest round of price increases.
    Off topic note: An improvement would be not forcing smartphone users who pay full price or have completed their contract to opt out of data services.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nardva View Post
    It just isn't fair to the consumer that the two largest cell companies in the US can fix prices the way they do. It's like they'be agreed behind closed doors not to compete based on price.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using HowardForums
    Technically, since wireless spectrum is a finite resource the major carriers have every right to require tiered/managed data plans. Price fixing can be easily regulated by the federal government. Not saying that I like or agree with such decisions but that's just my opinion. Life isn't fair and it never was.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast