Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is This Awful Customer Service...

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge34 View Post
    I don't think it's about being reluctant to deal with people without TEP. I think the problem is in making people (not necessarily OP, but perhaps in this case) understand that service technicians' time and work isn't free. In my time at a corporate repair center, I always found it easier to explain the $35 service fee that way. Most of the time (but certainly not all), people understand that the convenience of having us around is worth a small charge. Even the ZTE Fury is a $220 phone at retail price, and from what I can tell, it's a Chinese-made Optimus.
    From a customer point of view the issue is the relationship between the manufacturer and the retailer and how that's communicated to them.

As an example, taking a car in covered under manufacturer's warranty parts and labor are covered. Regardless someone has to pay for parts and labor. In addition the customer may or may not be given a loaner vehicle. In this scenario parts, labor, and possibly loaner/rental costs are passed on to the manufacturer for reimbursement to the retailer.

I know it's a comparison of a product that costs significantly more but none the less consumers generally equate warranty to zero out of pocket expenses. Without this type of relationship it leaves an avenue for wireless operators to make additional money on "insurance".

My 50" Panasonic TV I bought in 2008 came with a full factory warranty including on site tech and full shipping costs covered. I never needed it but some manufacturer's include it on consumer electronics. Again these may not be apple to apple comparisons but are just a couple of different scenarios in the market place.

The costs involved today with smartphones can make it a dicey situation when issues come up.
    Last edited by 503ducati; 07-23-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Feedback Score
    One last thought:

If they're going to put the sprint logo (not ZTE) on this phone like they do, shouldn't they handle the warranty? It certainly looks like it's their product when they mark it that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    Bad quality control like this is exactly the reason why I'd never purchase a phone made by a Chinese manufacturer, no ZTE or Huawei for my hard earned money
    I don't have the exact figures, but you do realize most phones/smartphones are Made in China, that includes LG, Samsung, HTC, most Nokia's, Motorola & even most apple products are made in china.

Sent from Bell LG Optimus LTE Running on Bell's LTE Network

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I do realize that. As Apple proudly stamps on their boxes, "Designed in Cupertino, Made in China". However, in either the design and/or quality control aspect, I find products from the Chinese branded companies to generally be sub-par. Even though their respective products may all be made in China, I personally believe that an Apple or Motorola or Nokia, for example, holds their Chinese manufacturers to higher quality control standards than a ZTE or Huawei.
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakOfHate View Post
    One last thought:

If they're going to put the sprint logo (not ZTE) on this phone like they do, shouldn't they handle the warranty? It certainly looks like it's their product when they mark it that way.
    While the phone says "sprint" on it, that just means it was initially certified to run on the "Sprint" network.. the phone also clearly states the manufacture on the sticker, battery, box, and outside of phone.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    HTC Evo 3D
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    No, You're not overreacting at all. When the phone has a problem, and it's under warranty (especially if the problem isn't caused by you) then you should get a free replacement. That's absurdd that they didn't..
    ℛ@ωґ❣

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rawrr_847 View Post
    No, You're not overreacting at all. When the phone has a problem, and it's under warranty (especially if the problem isn't caused by you) then you should get a free replacement. That's absurdd that they didn't..
    You can get a free replacement, just from the OEM. If you want Sprint to do the dirty work for you, and have them pay a tech to look to see if it can be fixed, without insurance you have a $35 charge.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    You can get a free replacement, just from the OEM. If you want Sprint to do the dirty work for you, and have them pay a tech to look to see if it can be fixed, without insurance you have a $35 charge.
    Damn, that's harsh. I know with Verizon, they handle the manufacturer warranties in-store, TEC or not. I wonder how AT&T and T-Mobile handles manufacturer warranties.

- VDubb

Device(s)
    HTC EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VDubb View Post
    Damn, that's harsh. I know with Verizon, they handle the manufacturer warranties in-store, TEC or not. I wonder how AT&T and T-Mobile handles manufacturer warranties.

- VDubb
    At least in here in FL, VZW no longer handles warranties in store, it's been like this for about a year or so.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VDubb View Post

- VDubb
    The difference with Sprint is, they pay technicians that are there to fix most things on the spot, and those are not cheap. They have to be paid for somehow, and when you're paying less for the service each month little things like that can pop up.

It's a love it or hate it situation, me personally i prefer having a technician with the part i need for the phone available rather than me just getting some refurbished garbage that i get a whole new set of issues with... Especially if it's something as trivial as a blown speaker or malfunctioning touchscreen.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The manufacturers have their free factory warranty parameters established so the consumer deals with them directly. The manufacturers have not made it so the carrier can simply "fix" or replace anything and everything covered under the factory warranty only to be reimbursed later by the manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    I think the issue here isn't sprint's policy but how the policy was communicated to the customer.

If everyone was on the same page about what was wrong, why it isn't covered, and what options are available to the customer, I doubt the customer would be upset.

I can see why the OP was annoyed - I would (and have) be too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2