Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Android user thinking of being a Traitor

Carrier(s)
    Verizon 1400 A/T Mins
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    I'm not sure if you're thinking of me as in that group of "die hard Android people" or not. Probably not, and I'm not.

I use and enjoy an Android phone, but I also use and enjoy a 4th gen iPod touch. I've used Macs since 1996 (System 7.5.1 on a Performa 6300CD) and used to be an Apple fanboy who only read Apple related sites and spent much of his childhood on the MacAddict Forums. I was very biased, but eventually my view started to shift. I began to see some advantages in other operating systems (first Linux and later Windows) as well as some disadvantages of Apple products and Apple. I finally realized that there was no one true OS. Everything has its flaws.

I think there's value in comparing the benefits and trade-offs. Android and iOS are both strong platforms, and it's about finding what's best for you. What's best for you can change over time, so it's useful to stay informed (to some extent) with what's going on with the other options. A running dialogue of constructive discussion can also help future smartphone owners decide what to switch to.

But for the name calling, trolling, and flaming that often happens in these kinds of discussions, the answer to your question is no.
    Well stated, and I agree 1000% with what you said.
    1000th Post on March 27th, 2007 @ 11:09PM.
    2000th Post on July 30th, 2007 @ 9:05PM.
    3000th Post on Sept. 17th 2009 @ 8:20AM.

NOOB PHOTO BLOG

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

MY HOFO FEEDBACK

Feedback Score
    I thought of a few more possible reasons.

A person might prefer Android on phones but prefer iOS on tablets.

An Android user with a strong preference might be trying to provide tech help to an iPhone user (or want to collaborate on a project with them), but first needs to get some insight from people with more iOS experience. Or maybe the Android user is somehow involved in the phone buying decision for someone else (family, business, or a customer in their phone store) and wants to be more informed when doing that, because they recognize that other people have different preferences.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon 1400 A/T Mins
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    But if that's the case, there is no sense in name calling, trolling and flaming. That just proves they have other reasons for being here.

Feedback Score
    I pretty much agree.

The only exception I can think of is a friend of mine from school. He's very pro-Android and loves to bash Apple and their products on Facebook, and those posts definitely look like trolling. Yet in the past few weeks after iOS 6 came out, he's been posting tips on how iOS 6 users can get to Google Maps or a third party app like Waze, and his writing on that comes across as both helpful and nice. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I also Googled him one time and found a comment he posted on a discussion about Steve Jobs' death, and he basically said he was an Apple hater but appreciated Jobs' influence on the tech industry.

Edit: Hmm. Not an exception because there's still no mature, legitimate justification for the trolling. It's more of a random little side story I guess. Reminds me of the Ferengi's 76th rule of acquisition.
    Last edited by Slinkwyde; 10-07-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I pretty much agree.

The only exception I can think of is a friend of mine from school. He's very pro-Android and loves to bash Apple and their products on Facebook, and those posts definitely look like trolling. Yet in the past few weeks after iOS 6 came out, he's been posting tips on how iOS 6 users can get to Google Maps or a third party app like Waze, and his writing on that comes across as both helpful and nice. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I also Googled him one time and found a comment he posted on a discussion about Steve Jobs' death, and he basically said he was an Apple hater but appreciated Jobs' influence on the tech industry.
    Hate the sin not the sinner. although given how much of a total jerk Steve Jobs was his entire life, I doubt it's proper to even blindly commend him for his work. He's dead now and is taking basically the entire fortune with him, while people like Bill Gates are at least trying philanthropy even before they die.

What if trolls... are right sometimes?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon 1400 A/T Mins
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Another one?? If not for people like Steve Jobs, you would still be carrying a flip phone. Let me just be blunt...you and your kind are not looked at favorably in this forum, so why don't you go hang out in the Android forum. Are you here to do anything else other than to troll??

Feedback Score
    I am the point of thinking about defecting to iOS because I think I want to try it out for a year or two just to see what the big fuss is about. However, I do have issues and one of them is Google Maps. I might wait for a few weeks and see if there is a official iOS 6 Google Maps apps in addition to confirming there are ways to use my Google Calendar along with Google Reader.

Also an other issue is cost. I am having trouble justifying a 64gb iPhone 5 is $400 compared to a $200 32gb Samsung GSIII and a 64gb microSD card is still a $120 cheaper. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

Android user thinking of being a Traitor

Quote Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
    I am the point of thinking about defecting to iOS because I think I want to try it out for a year or two just to see what the big fuss is about. However, I do have issues and one of them is Google Maps. I might wait for a few weeks and see if there is a official iOS 6 Google Maps apps in addition to confirming there are ways to use my Google Calendar along with Google Reader.

Also an other issue is cost. I am having trouble justifying a 64gb iPhone 5 is $400 compared to a $200 32gb Samsung GSIII and a 64gb microSD card is still a $120 cheaper. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
    It wouldn't necessarily be an official iOS 6 Google Maps app. Probably any version of iOS would be able to run it. If Google limited the app to IOS 6 users, that might be really a cause for concern in my book. Still, we will have to see. Is Google going to allow an official Google maps voice turn by turn navigation app outside of Android OS platform. The ball is totally in their court now.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score

Apple is Big Brother that have strict controls on what they allow.
    Google Maps App many not happen because Google is not sure Apple would approve it.
    Other Google apps.... well I have no clue, I used to own a iPhone but I never go back and this is one of the reasons Google Applications.

You really asking Apple fans why it is justifiable to buy a phone with less features iPhone 5 when you can get a better Samsung SIII cheaper? They will likely to you some how the iPhone 5 is better built thus worth the price.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tech4fun View Post
    Google Maps App many not happen because Google is not sure Apple would approve it.
    Other Google apps.... well I have no clue, I used to own a iPhone but I never go back and this is one of the reasons Google Applications.

You really asking Apple fans why it is justifiable to buy a phone with less features iPhone 5 when you can get a better Samsung SIII cheaper? They will likely to you some how the iPhone 5 is better built thus worth the price.
    Because The Samsung phones run Android OS, and I don't want an Android OS phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech4fun View Post
    You mean to say "ecosystem" and yes, Google has that too.
    Google and all developers would say that, there are strict guidelines and expectations to be met when submitting apps, even if they're basic and have an ugly UI, so long as it doesn't break **** or exploit API's at the expense of the end user's interests. So it's always wise to not assume you're going to make it through the process until you do.
    They're on iOS as well.

"less features" there's that phrase again. Do you have any features on the Galaxy S3 that may persuade a curious and probably uinterested android buyer to stick around? What features?

Here's a great in-depth review comparing the two:
    "Overall Winner: iPhone 5
    Apple’s flagship phone has some downsides, depending on how highly you value things like screen size, background multitasking, and maps, but it makes up for them by being the best built phone on the market, yet again. If there’s one thing Apple is good at, it’s attention to detail. The iPhone’s design flourishes help it overcome some of its technical limitations. Frankly, to many of you, and sometimes to us too, a phone that works smoothly and simply is better than the one with the most bells and whistles.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...#ixzz2D75TSfpy "

Feedback Score
    The built-in calendar app supports Google Calendar. That's how I use it. For Google Reader, Reeder is a great app.

Feedback Score

The built-in calendar app supports Google Calendar. That's how I use it. For Google Reader, Reeder is a great app.
    Reeder is the best rss app ever! I love this developer. Desktop and mobile client provide best in class delivery of content.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

A few points, the 64gb iPhone is more expensive but also retains that when you resale it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen phone for sale on CL and you have to ask if the micro-sd, which was originally part of the purchase of the phone, is now not included when being resold.

A second issue is that with microsd, they come in different speeds/classes and there are strange interactions among different pieces of hardware. The forums are full of the issues that arise from this. The themes repeat over and over. "My microsd card is (insert blank) and is class (blank). My phone is (blank) and it is having trouble with it. My friend has (similar microsd) by (different company) and it works fine. What can I do?"

Why worry about all of that and instead just enjoy something you know will work?

Finally it is worth it to just have all the storage on the phone be one large block. The mishmash of internal phone storage, sdcard and ext-sdcard is just a big headache. Pay a little more and just enjoy your phone instead of sweating the details. It's about $0.16 a day if you own it for two years. It isn't even the cost of a soda per week. Then you can concentrate on say, using iMovie on your phone to make family videos instead of worrying about which memory you left the pictures in and on what partition of memory you have your music stored.

As for Google Maps, it isn't he end all be all of the universe. I very much enjoy Apple Maps and they work great for me in Southern California. Google Maps are available through the web browser. They are designing and will release a native app that I am sure will feature lots of ads. There are paid and free alternatives to both products that are available on iOS. One of my favorites is Waze which is also available on several other platforms if you would like to try it before switching. Others have mentioned solutions for calendar and reader. I'll just add that Safari has an RSS feed reader in it as well.

Feedback Score

Re: Android user thinking of being a Traitor

Quote Originally Posted by trumptman View Post
    I'll just add that Safari has an RSS feed reader in it as well.
    No, not in mobile or Mac Safari. The mobile Safari RSS reader was powered by .Mac which no longer exists. The RSS feature was additionally pulled from iOS 6 and Mountain Lion, but the Windows version might still have it since it hasn't been updated since 5.1.7.

Also, the OP specifically asked for Google Reader support. Safari's RSS feature has never had that, although as a browser it can access the mobile version of the Google Reader website.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast