Thread: Gophone plan/card question -- completely confused

Feedback Score

Gophone plan/card question -- completely confused

I'm considering a GoPhone for my teenager, but don't understand how the 'refill' cards work. What exactly do you get with a $100 card? I know they 'last a year', but what levels of calling/texting, etc do you get with them? Do you have to be on a monthly plan to use them? Yep, baffled and confused.

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2confused2 View Post
    1. What do you get with a $100 card?
    2.I know they 'last a year', but what levels of calling/texting, etc do you get with them?
    3. Do you have to be on a monthly plan to use them? Yep, baffled and confused.
    Prepaid plans have two basic parameters : airtime and active time.

1. You get a PIN number you can use online or with customer service.
    2. On the"basic" plan and with a $100 card, your phone might stay active for a year and the $100 cash balance might buy 1000 minutes of airtime at 10-cents a minute.
    3. No. Your monthly plan will keep your phone active for 30 days - and give you a big pot of voice, text and data. A $100 card will pay for one month of this and leave you a cash balance. I think your plan reverts to basic if your cash balance is not enough for renewal.
    Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    But what about texting? Do you get any texting capabilities with an AT&T $100 card?

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2confused2 View Post
    But what about texting? Do you get any texting capabilities with an AT&T $100 card?
    Well ... it buys about 400 25-cent texts or pictures or about 1000 10-cent texts. You can also buy texts separately ... unlimited for $20, for example. Why is this difficult?
    Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    If I buy the $100 card for the year and do not use all the minutes, do the minutes rollover into the following year? Also, I need a very simple clam style phone, the simpler the better, that must have voice dialing...any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    P.S. Why do I need a PIN number?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ciliegia View Post
    If I buy the $100 card for the year and do not use all the minutes, do the minutes rollover into the following year? Also, I need a very simple clam style phone, the simpler the better, that must have voice dialing...any recommendations?
    There are no minutes, per se, with the $100 service card. The funds can be used any way you wish. If you purchase data or messaging with some of the funds, fewer dollars would be available for talking. Only the $25 plan has an allotment of minutes. The $50 plan has unlimited minutes. They have to be purchased every thirty days. Only these two plans allow you to purchase data packages. There are also a pay per call plan and a daily unlimited plan. You can purchase messaging plans but not data plans with them. The $100 card is not a good choice if you plan to use voice, data and messaging. The funds would be depleted in fewer than two months.

There is rollover of funds if you apply an additional service card before the balance is exhausted or the expiration date is reached, whichever come first. All limited data packages can be rolled over also. Unlimited packages, messaging plans or voice plans cannot be rolled over.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ciliegia View Post
    P.S. Why do I need a PIN number?
    That's how AT&T knows you've paid them.
    Regards, FJ

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    I have gophone for two of my teenagers and it works very well for us.

What I do is add a $25 card every 90 days. You never know if their phone might get lost or broken and I prefer to add the $25 for 3 mos rather than $100/yr.

I get the refills at Callingmart.com, usually every month they publish a discount code on their twitter account and it saves 10%, so my $25 refill costs me $22.50

My teens use mostly texting and so I get the $10 texting feature pack that gives them 1,000 txt.
    If they don't use them all then I just add a $5 pack next time and the rest rolls over if renewed before the feature package expiration date.
    I'm on the 10c min plan so if they do have to call they can and it uses the account balance for that.

When you activate the phone (sim) online you get a number and then you can select a 4 digit pin and register for online account management. From there you can add refill cards, buy and renew feature packages, check balance and expiration date and look up call history.

Another thing, if you have good Verizon coverage, and your teen mostly texts and most of their friends are also on Verizon, you can get Verizon prepaid basic plan and buy the unlimited verizon to verizon text (and 250 to others) plan for $10/mo, but calls on that one would be $.25 a min

I don't know about voice dialing, but if you check on the gophone page they usually have some refurbished models for sale that aren't that expensive.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    the way it is packed with so many optipns it confuses most people.this why st,rr,h2o are more popular (simpicity).this is how att gets more for less.but if you weed though it all you can get a great deal.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    instead of worrying about when the card expires ask yourself how will your reenager use the the phone. if they talk and text alot you will burn thru that 100 bucks in less than a month and while yes your number will still be active (meaning att wont give it away) with no money on the account you wont be able to use the phone. the pin number is on the back of the card. if you buy it in the store you just scratch off the back and enter the number in the phone and it puts whatever dollar amount the card was for onto your account. works the same way as say an itunes card. its not as complicated as it looks at first once you sit down and read what you get for what price. att offers monthly plans daily plans and pay per use plans. decide first how he or she will use the phone and decide your best option. if there gonna talk and text alot the 50 dollar a month unlimited plan is your choice. its just that you pay 50 dollars a month And you get unlimited talk text and if they dont have a smartphone unlimited data. if they text a ton and only call very little the 25 dollar monthly plan is your choice. its 250 minutes and unlimited texting for 25 dollars a month. now if say they only text and will never talk for 20 dollars a month you can get just unlimited texting. now if your not big on monthly plans and you just wanna put money on it and forget about it for a while and your teenager does talk and text a ton there is a 2 dollar a day unlimited talk and text plan. its just that for 2 dollars a day you get unlimited talk and text. so if you put 100 dollars on it every day when he or she makes a call or sends a text they will deduct 2 dollars from your account. that will give them all day to make or recieve phone calls and send and recieve texts. now if its just an emergency phone or a mom and dad checking in phone pay per use would be your option. its just that you pay each time you use it. 10 cents a minute or 10 cents to send or recieve a text. so if you start with 100 dollars on it and in one day you make a 5 minute phone call send 3 texts and recieve 2 texts at the end of that day your balance is 99 dollars. so yes it wont expire for a year but you dont get a years worth of service for 100 dollars. you get 100 dollars worth of service. if they use there phone alot pay per use shouldnt be an option for you at all. no matter when it expires. now if they do have a smartphone and want data thats another thing. they must get one of the 2 monthly plans with an added on data package at an extra charge to use data. i know that was long but hope it helped some. there used to be alot of good people around here who would take the time to explain things now its kinda overrun by people who think there phone experts because they can flash a rom or install cydia. off topic rant i miss the old hofo haha well hope that helped.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mommusic View Post
    I have gophone for two of my teenagers and it works very well for us.

What I do is add a $25 card every 90 days. You never know if their phone might get lost or broken and I prefer to add the $25 for 3 mos rather than $100/yr.
    That's what I do for my teenage kid too. What I love most is the fact that if needed, I can check the phone activity online and keep track of the balance.

Also if the phone gets broken I just need to move the SIM to another one and no money from the balance is lost. If it gets lost or stolen I can have a new SIM activated pretty quickly (I always keep spares) and transfer the account to it reducing the risk of losing all the balance.
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 20 years!