Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Much Data on the $50 Plan?

Feedback Score
    That would be 3GBs total (2GBs full speed and 1GB throttled). I work at a store that sales Simple Mobile and most of the customers on Simple get their Data cut off for the month at 2.5GBs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Spoon View Post
    That would be 3GBs total (2GBs full speed and 1GB throttled). I work at a store that sales Simple Mobile and most of the customers on Simple get their Data cut off for the month at 2.5GBs.
    I believe they are no longer honestly telling that they cut off data to the customers, but instead they are making ridiculous claims like your phone does not support it and such. Here is what tech told me (in written email):

We were able to speak with you on October 28, 2012 (9:25 PM EST) at
    ***-***-****. You were informed that the reason that your data speed
    runs only with 3G is because your phone is not a supported handset for
    4G speeds.

We understand that you were able to use the 4G speed these past few
    months. You were informed that this case is similar with our iPhone
    users. During activation, the network does not know the phone model the
    SIM card is inserted into. The network sends data throughput through
    multiple frequencies in order to determine the frequency the handset is
    running into. Once the network realizes that the handset does not work
    with 1700 MHz bands, it sends the appropriate data speed which is 2G.
    I am just above 2 gig of data at this time. What a guy was trying to tell me is that my phone does not really support 4G and the reason I had 4G speds was by mistake. He also added that they see similar issues with iPhones (which are not on the t-mobile band whatsoever), that they run in 4G, and then it all ends once the "system understands" that the phone was not supposed to

Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile $40 "unlimited" talk text and data plan
    Feedback Score

Question what's the data limit of the $50 "unlimited" 4G plan

So the "game just changed in our favor" Seriously though, how many GB can you use before it cuts you off?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by puo View Post
    So the "game just changed in our favor" Seriously though, how many GB can you use before it cuts you off?
    It's okay, there are lots of Tmobile mvnos coming out who will be glad to poach SM customers away... Spot, Ptel gsm, Ultra, an unknown brand name that's supposed to be a non branded prepaid division of Tmobile and more...

Feedback Score
    I am new to these forums and also new to simple mobile. I wish i had read these forums before purchasing a simple mobile card 50 dollar plan. First i live in an area of NYC that gets close to half the max. I get about 15mb sec down on my galaxy note 2. After using the simple mobile plan for only 3 days i got a text saying my data was going to be cut off. I used my phone to stream a few youtube videos and see 20 minutes of netflix. I rely on data access as i am a small business who works in the field all day. I am not even waiting till the end of the month i am going with the the T-Mobile 70 dollar 5gb at 4g speed plan. I had this plan for over 2 years and watched videos and streamed music with no problems or warning letters. I also think that a complaint to the NY attorney General is in order for false advertising or at least misleading advertising. If you call the plan unlimited 4g its not really unlimited. This is the biggest rip off in the wireless industry.

Feedback Score
    If you are a data user who needs/wants unlimited high speed data , in this age and time, avoid mvnos. Go with a prepaid division because they are a lot less likely to cut you off or at least are a lot more clear where you stand.
    Tmobile prepaid: xx gb then throttle to 60kb. Has 4G level Hspa plus speeds.
    Att Gophone: xx gb, then buy overage packs. Full 3g speed on gsm iphones.
    Verizon prepaid: xx gb then additonal overage is 5 cents a meg. 3G only but iphones 4/4s Verizon cdma type allowed.
    Sprint Prepaid Group: Virgin /Boost Mobile. Both have full 3g or 4g speed up to 2.5gb and then throttle down to a max speed of 256k.

Notice NONE of these parent company prepaid divisions of mvnos offer unlimited full speed data . All have either a hard cap with overage, a throttle or what have you. Mvnos are NOT unlimited and will never be. They are just offering a fantasy marketing term which will continue to generate disappointment and anger from those who hit those caps. If you want full speed unlimited without throttling, go with Tmobile postpaid or Sprint postpaid or a cdma regional unlimited. None of the big boys offer it anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danpedraza View Post
    I am new to these forums and also new to simple mobile. I wish i had read these forums before purchasing a simple mobile card 50 dollar plan. First i live in an area of NYC that gets close to half the max. I get about 15mb sec down on my galaxy note 2. After using the simple mobile plan for only 3 days i got a text saying my data was going to be cut off. I used my phone to stream a few youtube videos and see 20 minutes of netflix. I rely on data access as i am a small business who works in the field all day. I am not even waiting till the end of the month i am going with the the T-Mobile 70 dollar 5gb at 4g speed plan. I had this plan for over 2 years and watched videos and streamed music with no problems or warning letters. I also think that a complaint to the NY attorney General is in order for false advertising or at least misleading advertising. If you call the plan unlimited 4g its not really unlimited. This is the biggest rip off in the wireless industry.
    Others in this thread replied saying that the data cap is 2GB, some at 2.5GB. Do you think you used 2GB in three days?

I have a simple mobile sim card in front of me and want to activate on their $50 plan but am conerned about their data speed and the amount of data before throttling. Reports like this are scaring me off. I am not sure if the problem is with their advertising saying that its unlimited when it only 2GB, or the data provided is actually less than 2 GB/month.

Feedback Score
    I went on prepaid reviews and the comments on simple mobile are atrocious. Some of them are from customers who dont have realistic expectations about the service. What I did see as a common theme was that if you stream anything (including youtube) they cut you off. I am not sure if that's just if you're over the 2 GB limit and streaming or if your streaming at all, regardless of your current data usage. Is this accurate?

I can live with 2 GB of data but need to be able to use it as I see fit.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

How Much Data on the $50 Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by ZishanMalik View Post
    I went on prepaid reviews and the comments on simple mobile are atrocious. Some of them are from customers who dont have realistic expectations about the service. What I did see as a common theme was that if you stream anything (including youtube) they cut you off. I am not sure if that's just if you're over the 2 GB limit and streaming or if your streaming at all, regardless of your current data usage. Is this accurate?

I can live with 2 GB of data but need to be able to use it as I see fit.
    Just get the T-Mobile Prepaid $60 plan. They don't care if you tether, stream, or whatever. Yes you do pay more..

Sent from my iPhone 5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Just get the T-Mobile Prepaid $60 plan. They don't care if you tether, stream, or whatever. Yes you do pay more..

Sent from my iPhone 5
    I signed up for the $50 plan yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I had previously ordered the sim on amazon for $0.37 cents. I did tons of research for days but some of it wasn't conclusive and I had the sim in front of me, and figured I would probably have to give it a try so that I would know for sure. I already ordered a T-Mobile activation kit on Tmobile's site for $0.99 cents, in case this doesn't work out. The main thing I needed to know was speed and data cap on their $50 4G Plan.

- I was already alerted that their 3G plan is just 2G service, so I stayed away from that.
    - I put the sim in and did a speed test and got on average 6.25 mbps down and .5 going up. When I was on T-Mobile post paid I was easily getting 14-16 mbps/down. I do see the phone on Edge once or twice but it hasn't stayed their long.
    - Supposedly the cap is at 2 GB and have set up my phone to measure, I just checked today on their site and I have used 147 Mb already. We'll see how this goes.

I plan to either keep this thread up to date or start another thread to add some clarity on this. I searched everywhere and didn't come up with much.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

How Much Data on the $50 Plan?

Great, keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone 5

Feedback Score
    Well i am on my second week with SM 50 dollar plan. I am up to 1.89gb data. Looks like i am being throttled . Before i was able to do speedtest and get 15.4mb down. now its 120k. I am so going bacl to tmobile 70 dollar plan. At least they tell you upfront that the data is 5gb max at 4g.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2