Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: LTE in Philadelphia - Is it live?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    10,515
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
    Do you have a URL or cite for that? I stopped by AT&T store location on 202 in Wilmington yesterday and no LTE. I will try swinging by there again today in an attempt to verify.
    A friend of mine who lives near Trolly Square in Wilmington confirms that LTE is live.
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    24
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldilocks View Post
    A friend of mine who lives near Trolly Square in Wilmington confirms that LTE is live.
    So I guess it's just North Wilmington that doesn't get coverage? Downtown, down Kirkwood highway, and Newark all have LTE at this point. I wish AT&T's LTE map was accurate.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    10,515
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
    So I guess it's just North Wilmington that doesn't get coverage? Downtown, down Kirkwood highway, and Newark all have LTE at this point. I wish AT&T's LTE map was accurate.
    They will probably be turning more on as the week goes by -- or maybe they are having problems. (shrug).

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,961
    Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Does anybody know if the ability to fall back to HSPA will improve performance. With LTE running on 700 and GSM on 850 and 1900, let's say LTE is congested on a particular tower. Would falling to HSPA on 850 improve performance over a sluggish LTE or would the tower be congested itself so ultimately it will not matter what frequency you are running off of at that particular tower.

    I ended up ordering my Verizon iPhone yesterday but I am really thinking of switching my main two lines back to AT&T. Sounds like we may have LTE from DC to Philly just about up and running.


    --Posted via Tapatalk--

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE IN
    Posts
    10,935
    Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
    So I guess it's just North Wilmington that doesn't get coverage? Downtown, down Kirkwood highway, and Newark all have LTE at this point. I wish AT&T's LTE map was accurate.
    They normally fire sites up in batches. And there will probably be a few stragglers that will get fired up later.

    Also the deployments are typically done in waves where the first wave is getting general coverage in place but not with 100% site density. Usually there is a second wave that comes through and fills in the coverage better and or expands the coverage area.

    So in short: completion of the initial launch does not mean they are done.

    Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:


    http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    Does anybody know if the ability to fall back to HSPA will improve performance. With LTE running on 700 and GSM on 850 and 1900, let's say LTE is congested on a particular tower. Would falling to HSPA on 850 improve performance over a sluggish LTE or would the tower be congested itself so ultimately it will not matter what frequency you are running off of at that particular tower.

    I ended up ordering my Verizon iPhone yesterday but I am really thinking of switching my main two lines back to AT&T. Sounds like we may have LTE from DC to Philly just about up and running.


    --Posted via Tapatalk--
    That's why I am sticking with with AT&T. Even if we didn't get LTE in Philly region I'm very satisfied with the performance on my AT&T 4S. I preordered the 5 and I'm expecting same or better performance.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    5,645
    Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
    So I guess it's just North Wilmington that doesn't get coverage? Downtown, down Kirkwood highway, and Newark all have LTE at this point. I wish AT&T's LTE map was accurate.
    The nearest cell site might be near 202 and Naamens Road. I do not believe I remember seeing LTE on that site. Verizon, on the other hand, doesn't even have a site anywhere nearby. I barely get 3G or 1X in the area--so don't feel too bad for no AT&T LTE at this point honestly.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,961
    Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Does anyone know the answer to the question about tower congestion? If it is based on frequency the new iPhone could really lighten the load on AT&T. If people are using LTE on 700 and we can drop down to 850 HSPA and find it less congested, there could be a nice performance advantage here. It will be very interesting to see the impact the new iPhone has on both LTE networks.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE IN
    Posts
    10,935
    Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well if the iphone5 is selling hot thus moving people from HSPA only capability to LTE capability, yes that is going to have a positive effect on HSPA congestion. Really it depends on the rate of switching over to the 5 and the density of 5 users in an area.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,914
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Its def capable of lightening the load in a sense.

    My friend near wilmington and I think new castle(I don't know the area so don't quote me) called and said he's now seeing some lte and said it was brutally fast.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    433
    Device(s)
    IPHONE 7, IPAD 9.7
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    LTE showed up in the Lindenwold/Stratford, NJ area on the day that the iPHONE 5 preorders started, 9/14. I noticed it on my iPAD (3). Real quick. Averaging about 28 - 32 Mbs download and around 15 - 20 Mbs upload. Very impressive.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,445
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    Does anyone know the answer to the question about tower congestion? If it is based on frequency the new iPhone could really lighten the load on AT&T. If people are using LTE on 700 and we can drop down to 850 HSPA and find it less congested, there could be a nice performance advantage here. It will be very interesting to see the impact the new iPhone has on both LTE networks.
    I don't think the phone will automatically drop down to HSPA when LTE gets congested. The phone has a preference for connection to LTE, so you'd have to turn of LTE in the settings for it to use HSPA.

    Verizon's 4G network.

    I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,961
    Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: LTE in Philadelphia - Is it live?

    I figured I would update some experience. I have been using both AT&T and Verizon LTE in Center City and Northwest suburbs. It seems AT&T may have a slight advantage regarding LTE in the city. Subway coverage is a plus. In my building downtown it seems AT&T may be performing a little better. Suburbs the edge seems to go to Verizon. Their LTE coverage is a lot bigger than AT&T's including already having shore points covered.

    My experience with HSPA+ continues to be suspect at best and certainly is not close to Verizon's LTE in the burbs.

    Has anyone experienced using AT&T at an Eagles game? Typically the experience has been unusable, but hopefully LTE has changed that.

    For reference, I am using and iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 on AT&T and a DROID Maxx and iPhone on Verizon.

    I am curious to others experiences as well.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    911
    Feedback Score
    0

    LTE in Philadelphia - Is it live?

    Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    I figured I would update some experience. I have been using both AT&T and Verizon LTE in Center City and Northwest suburbs. It seems AT&T may have a slight advantage regarding LTE in the city. Subway coverage is a plus. In my building downtown it seems AT&T may be performing a little better. Suburbs the edge seems to go to Verizon. Their LTE coverage is a lot bigger than AT&T's including already having shore points covered.

    My experience with HSPA+ continues to be suspect at best and certainly is not close to Verizon's LTE in the burbs.

    Has anyone experienced using AT&T at an Eagles game? Typically the experience has been unusable, but hopefully LTE has changed that.

    For reference, I am using and iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 on AT&T and a DROID Maxx and iPhone on Verizon.

    I am curious to others experiences as well.
    My experience is somewhat different. In the Philly burbs I find VZW LTE isn't as good as AT&T LTE. In center city I find VZW and AT&T equal.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,961
    Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by macher50267 View Post
    My experience is somewhat different. In the Philly burbs I find VZW LTE isn't as good as AT&T LTE. In center city I find VZW and AT&T equal.
    What part of the burbs? I head out up near Ft. Washington and a little farther even north from there. I am very close to canceling my Verizon line but worried about whether AT&T plans to continue their expansion or whether they are going to try and have the farther burbs/shore areas remain HSPA+.

    I have been very impressed with the city performance. My building is definitely a stronger AT&T building which may be the deciding factor anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
  2. Philadelphia upgrade - Live 8 - Feedback?
    By ctk74 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 06:00 PM
  3. GSM Live in Philadelphia market!!
    By JohnnyK in forum AT&T
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 10:47 PM

Bookmarks