Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Apple introduces the iPhone 5

The new iPhone is finally official. Apple has named its sixth-generation smartphone the iPhone 5 and Phil Schiller has detailed its full set of features, specs, and release details. Measuring 7.6mm in thickness and 112 grams in weight, this is the thinnest and lightest iPhone that Apple has ever made, and is constructed "entirely" out of glass and aluminum. The new iPhone looks pretty much identical to all the leaks and mockups we've seen in the past few weeks — evidently Apple wasn't able to keep a lid on its most anticipated product, after all.

And yes, it has a 4-inch display! The new screen resolution is the oft-rumored 1136 x 640, meaning the display of the iPhone 4 and 4S has simply been elongated, both physically and in terms of pixel rows. To quote Phil, "you see, we're able to add a fifth row of icons." All of Apple's own software has been updated for the new resolution and screen size, while third-party apps will be letterboxed where necessary. Also in line with pre-launch rumors, the new iPhone's display features in-cell touchscreen technology, integrating the touch sensors right into the display itself. This should make for a thinner panel overall, though Apple also touts it as "the most accurate display in the industry."

There's also LTE connectivity, with a single chip, single radio, and what Apple describes as a "dynamic" antenna. Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T LTE flavors will all be supported by the iPhone 5. Apple rates this new handset's battery life at 8 hours of LTE web browsing.

A new 8-megapixel camera with an f/2.4 aperture and a hybrid IR filter will be present on the iPhone 5, with a promise of improved low light performance and 40 percent faster photo capture. The sensor is backside-illuminated. Catching up with the competition, Apple is also adding in a new Panorama mode to its camera software. Much like with HTC's ImageSense, the new iPhone 5 camera will allow you to also take still photos while recording video, which maxes out at 1080p resolution.

The iPhone 5's processor has been upgraded to Apple's A6 SoC, which Apple suggests will result in double the CPU performance and two times faster graphics. There are three microphones in the iPhone 5, which will support HD voice and also includes a redesigned loudspeaker that's 20 percent smaller than before.

Apple is today also introducing an all-new Lightning dock connector — 80 percent smaller than its traditional 30-pin cable, this 8-pin all-digital plug offers a reversible design and improved durability. Apple will naturally provide an adapter for all your old accessories.

Your color choices? Black and white. Pricing is set at the usual $199 for the 16GB iPhone 5 on a two-year contract, $299 for 32GB, or $399 for the 64GB version. Pre-orders are opening on September 14th, with shipping starting on September 21st.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/33...e-announcement

Phone
    Motorola mpx220
    Carrier
    AT&T WS
    Feedback Score
    what a disappointment again this year...nothing that the Samsung S3 doesn't already have, infact, it has less!

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was actually satisfied with what was announced. To someone who really loves the iPhone, a bigger screen, better camera, faster device, and LTE are big upgrades.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, this "new phone" has the same specs that smartphones had 1.5 years ago. It will still sell to the sheep, but hopefully people will start to realize that Apple is not as revolutionary as they claim to be.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    They mentioned LTE support, but what about the 3G bands? AWS?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauchon View Post
    I was actually satisfied with what was announced. To someone who really loves the iPhone, a bigger screen, better camera, faster device, and LTE are big upgrades.
    Does it not bother you that Apple just released a product that is comparable to products offered by their competition a year ago? RIM had a huge following at one point too, but their lack of innovation is what screwed them. I could easily see the same thing happening to Apple in a few years.

Feedback Score
    LOL nice going apple. are people actually gonna buy that thing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeminiIII View Post
    LOL nice going apple. are people actually gonna buy that thing?
    Unfortunately, yes. Some people don't care what is inside the phone as long as it has a shiny piece of fruit on the outside.

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow, really nothing that wasn't already leaked in advance. Decent incremental upgrades.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Feedback Score
    Oh, how could I forget the third microphone? I don't think anybody else is doing that right now.

I guess I was being too hard on Apple.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I find it funny that all those leaked iPhone 5 pics were real. LOL.

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    8 hours of LTE on a phone this light and thin? Sounds good, we'll see how it stacks up against the RAZR Maxx

Feedback Score
    The iPhone 5 has terrible battery life, 8 hours !!!!
    One of the things I hate about the iPhone is the ugly interface grids of icons and folders, very boring.
    You want the weather ok lets find the icon for the weather app, open the program get the weather, still no widgets.

Android has nothing to worry about.

If people were smart, and I often do not give them credit hopeful the predictions are going to be off big time.

Phone
    HTC Tytn
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If you compare with iPhone to iPhone 5 than it's a big improvement and of course apple die hard fans will go crazy!!

I have iPhone 4 and may upgrade to iPhone 5 or Samsung S3.

Someone please give me honest opinion to which one to go with?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Goelz83 View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. Some people don't care what is inside the phone as long as it has a shiny piece of fruit on the outside.
    +1
    it's unfortunately the case.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast