Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Can I keep my unlimited data on Verizon?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Can I keep my unlimited data on Verizon?

I have a Blackberry with unlimited data on a family plan now and want to upgrade to an iphone 5. Can I keep my unlimited data plan?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sure you can. Just pay full retail for the iPhone 5 and not the upgrade price.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So if I pay the contract price I have to switch to the family share data? Is paying the full retail price the only way to keep my unlimited data?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post
    So if I pay the contract price I have to switch to the family share data? Is paying the full retail price the only way to keep my unlimited data?
    The only other option would be to use an alternate upgrade; but, you'd be losing unlimited data on one line or another.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Space Gray (Unlimited Data)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here is my scenario. I'm on a family plan.

Line 1-iPhone 4S unlimited data
    Line 2-iPhone 4S unlimited data
    Line 3-dumb phone

Line 2 is eligible for an upgrade. Can I transfer the upgrade to line 3 activate it on a tiered plan then move line 3 back to dumb phone and move iPhone 5 to line 1 and KEEP unlimited?

Device(s)
    VZW iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by risk235 View Post

Line 3-dumb phone

Line 2 is eligible for an upgrade. Can I transfer the upgrade to line 3 activate it on a tiered plan then move line 3 back to dumb phone and move iPhone 5 to line 1 and KEEP unlimited?

It doesn't matter which one is eligible for an upgrade. If you take the subsidized price, you will be forced to switched to the tiered data plan. The only way to keep unlimited is to pay the unsubsidized price ($649, $749, $849).

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Line 3-dumb phone

No. When you do a transfer upgrade, you are not actually transferring the upgrade itself, verizon is just transferring the phone for you. Also if you do a transfer upgrade online, you will see that even that isn't done by verizon. For instance I started a transfer upgrade with my sister's line for me to get a phone and after I finished, the online account showed her line as expecting the phone to be activated.

Long story short, if you use line 2's upgrade on line 3, you will be forcing line 2 off of unlimited data, otherwise verizon would have a huge loophole for letting people with unlimited data keep their unlimited while just transferring upgrades to a dumbphone line on the plan. If you use line 2'd upgrade on line 3, I am pretty positive verizon will take line 2's unlimited. If you upgraded line 1 with line 2's upgrade I'm not sure which line they would decided to take unlimited from. Most likely line 2 since it still gets the contract extension regardless of who uses the phone, but it is possible they would recognize line 1 as getting the subsidized upgrade and take it's unlimited data I suppose. To the best of my knowledge no one has tried any of these things, and you are welcome to do so and report back to us on how it goes, but logically you are risking your unlimited data.

If line 3 gets an upgrade soon, you can use it's upgrade, then just transfer the phone to line 1 or 2 and let them both keep unlimited data, and just reactivate the dumbphone on line 3, but you need to buy from verizon. 3rd party retailers tend to have contractual obligations where you need to keep the phone you buy on the line you bought it for for 180 days or so. Verizon corporate stores do not have this in the contract and are thus much more lenient despite higher prices and upgrade fees.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post
    There is one other way... buy an iPhone5 sometime after launch from a 3rd party.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iirundis05 View Post
    Don't existing customers still have the option of going with the $30 2GB if you upgrade to a smartphone?
    Yes. If you buy the iPhone at a discount price, current customers can choose tiered data or shared data.

Device(s)
    VZW iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iirundis05 View Post
    Don't existing customers still have the option of going with the $30 2GB if you upgrade to a smartphone? Best thing to do is to give Customer Service a call. If you can get that plan you can upgrade that one line and transfer the iphone 5 to your unlimited data line and then cancel the data plan.
    Even if that worked, OP would be paying an extra $30/month for an unused extra data plan for the 24 month life of the contract, which is $720 in addition to his existing plan.

Buying the phone unsubsidized would be $699.

$20 less, you're not risking losing unlimited data, and you could probably get a few hundred back next year when you sell it to upgrade to the Iphone 6.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Yes. If you buy the iPhone at a discount price, current customers can choose tiered data or shared data.
    ... But not unlimited data. It will be lost during any upgrade where a subsidy is involved. (I disclaimer that specifically because buying a phone at full price from Verizon is also called an upgrade even though contract length, end-date and unlimited data are maintained, intact for those.)

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / On YouTube: @AlexKidd4Fun

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Line 3-dumb phone

The only way you will be able to get a subsidized iPhone 5, and keep unlimited data on lines 1 and 2, is if line 3 is eligible for an upgrade, use that upgrade to get the iPhone 5. You will then need to add a tiered data plan to line 3, and then switch the iPhone 5 to line 1. Then you can switch line 3 back to a feature phone and drop the data plan.

Device(s)
    VZW iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    The only way you will be able to get a subsidized iPhone 5, and keep unlimited data on lines 1 and 2, is if line 3 is eligible for an upgrade, use that upgrade to get the iPhone 5. You will then need to add a tiered data plan to line 3, and then switch the iPhone 5 to line 1. Then you can switch line 3 back to a feature phone and drop the data plan.
    If that really works, then it's an enormous loophole for keeping unlimited data.

I just tried it using a Samsung Galaxy III on my 3rd line which is eligible for an upgrade as a test and it shows this in my cart (for line 3):

NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT FAMILY SHARE SEC 1400 SHARE W/PRI $9.99 S4975 0110

Device 1 – Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB in Blue xxx-xxx-xxxx

Plan Details
    NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT FAMILY SHARE SEC 1400 SHARE W/PRI $9.99 S4975 0110 $9.99
    NEW Data: 2GB Data Bundle with Personal Email $30.00

Messaging: Unlimited Text Messages $0.00

Are the tiered data plans compatible with the unlimited data plans?

Feedback Score
    You don't have to go to shared data just tiered data on the line upgrading. No price difference or changes to other lines.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Before giving up your UL data for a subsidy dig around to see what vzw UL AOLs are selling for -- just as a reality check, if nothing else.

You want to keep that UL data!
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast