Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy 3

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy 3

I have updated my iPod Touch to iOS 6 this evening. I am very unimpressed with iOS 6 mainly because of the maps and how they have been considerably stripped by the features I need and use the most: traffic data. I also noticed the iPod Touch 4 Generation is running more sluggishly than before the upgrade.

I have reserved an iPhone 5 after waiting many years for a dramatic improvement but I have not seen any. I just need Apple because of their support, unlike with Samsung which has just atrocious support in my personal opinion. I've had two different Samsung Smartphones: Galaxy Spica, and Captivate. None have been rooted and I truly despise Samsung because how they like to screw over their customers when making a warranty claim.

Fortunately for me, I have a very good authorized Samsung dealer that Rogers sends all phones under warranty to so I won't have to deal with Samsung directly.

The thing with me is that I'd like to purchase extended warranty for piece of mind. I really dont have faith in Samsung products (based on experience) and others that I know as well. I dont like how fragmented Android is or how apps populate in the background even after killing them. I am also bothered by all the bloatware Samsung has.

Still, I am now considering Samsung. The iPhone 5 decison to order is solely based on compromise. I cant stand the tiny screen of the iPhone 5 but I like the support I get with Apple. The iphone from all reports feels solid. Samsung doesn't. Yet, the iPhone had a few features which I seemingly [almost] can't live with out and now they have been removed.

Thoughts anyone?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2, Galaxy Notes
    Feedback Score
    The Iphone/iOS is not very smart at all. It can't do (maybe even with jB) any of the following that I have in my non-custom non-rooted stock S3.

- A File Explorer that aggregates phone and cloud storages (box, drive, db etc) in side-by-side views allowing easy movement of files. Ability to use the "Open With..." to open file using any registered installed apps.

- Easily share any files/contents via any registered share streams (BT, Wifi, cloud storages, social networks, usb etc).

- Ability to download/save any files from any sources into the phone storage. Ability to attach multiple files of any types to email (incl. re-edit re-attach)

- Multi-clipboard (last 50 clippings + predefined text) to easily enter/paste text anywhere.

- Tap on NFC sticker in car will auto turn on BT, start music playing, set the phone to "drive" mode and activate turn-by-turn navigation app.

- Phone only allows calls from "Family" contact group from 12-7am. Also the ability to keep a blacklist of all numbers that are barred.

- If there is a "meeting" entry in calendar, phone auto change to vibrate mode and only allows "family" and "work" contact group calls during the period.

- Phone conversation recording is auto turned on for calls with a certain prefix.

- Background write entries into a Google calendar for calls/sms activities (like a diary). Very useful if you have multiple cell lines.

- Direct dial/sms picture icon on desktop or in folder for quick one touch operation. Plus ability to create shortcuts to any files/contents for quick one-touch access.

- Auto send canned sms/email to contacts birthday / anniversary. Auto backup data. Auto check-in to social networks based on location/nfc. Auto background upload of photos to social networks.

- Location-based (cell tower/gps) automation. e.g. when picking up someone auto-send a reminder sms when you are near pickup point. Or turn on/off phone settings (BT, wifi, sound etc) when you enter/exit a certain predefined location.

- Ability to use "live" wallpaper OR ability to auto-change static wallpaper every 10 seconds (only when desktop is active). Plus use transparent icons without labels on desktop screen. Also double-use gesture for bottom row icons (e.g. tap or swipe-up on the icon for different operations)

- Use widgets to display self-updating current essential info (tw,fb,g+,IMs,stock,weather etc) on the desktop screens. No need for tedious one-by-one opening of apps.

- Keep the screen on while looking at it (smart stay). Turn the phone over to switch to vibrate mode (or silent ring during incoming call). Tilt phone to zoom in gallery/browser.

- Quickly toogle phone settings from notification area. Easily set alerts to notify of cell duration/data usage.

- True multi-tasking allows for concurrently running "stacked" applications. Use the hard "Back" button to easily navigate back from stacked application windows. (no need to fumble about to restart previous app by using task mgr or going back to home screen)

- Fully working and always-on Skype, G+, voip... etc. Plus Integration to phone contact to easily initiate call/video-call/message directly from contact.

- Soft keyboard with multi-words prediction and easy punctuations. T9 keyboard for one-handed on-the-move typing. Easy unlock lockscreen (swipe in any direction - no need to look for unlock switch)

- Easily connect portable devices (hard disk, usb-hub, keyboards, game controllers) to phone using USBToGo capability. Also create unrestricted wireless connection via Wi-Fi Direct or BT

- Output display to external monitors using cheap and non-proprietary HDMI-out cables. Or use DLNA to stream to DLNA-enabled devices without needing expensive add-on equipments.

- Able to load into phone and play any media files (avi, mkv, divx) directly without tedious conversion. (i.e. plug the usb cable, copy files and play)

- Able to set a reading font size in browser. When zoomed in, text always appear at this specified font size. Text is also reflow to fit the screen for easy reading without side-scrolling.

- Able to press the home-button to answer call or power button to end call. Plus set speed dial numbers on the phone pad.

- Able to SEAMLESSLY replace any stock apps with 3rd party apps to upgrade or improve functionalities.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    thats a very good list! thank you for posting.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GVRD777 View Post
    thats a very good list! thank you for posting.
    Keep in mind that that mib1800 is a die-hard Android fan who tries to scare people away from Apple whenever he can. In my experience, he's not necessarily wrong, but he's often omitting things he either doesn't have experience with or which don't make it nearly as clear-cut (AirPlay, built-in media app quality, camera quality, raw speed, for example).

The Maps thing sucks if you use mass transit, no question. In a pinch, though, I'm doing fine with both a home screen shortcut to the mobile Google Maps webpage and an OC Transpo app for my city (which gives real-time bus data that Google lacks).

From my early experiences with the iPhone 5: the screen doesn't feel small anymore. Not as big as a GS3 or a One X, but there's that bit of breathing room that was becoming more acutely obvious with the iPhone 4S. It feels like an HTC One S in the hand -- there's solid space, but it's not so comically oversized that you have to shift your hands around for many tasks. It is the first iPhone where I may occasionally have to do some thumb gymnastics to hit the home button, but the screen itself is never an issue.

Also: it's fast. Really fast. Faster than the GS3 (international or North American) in most benchmarks by a noticeable margin, at least until the GS3 gets Jelly Bean... eventually.

I find it a bit odd that you've already said you're going to hate Samsung's Android experience in just about every way possible, but you're still seriously considering one. The Maps fiasco has a viable workaround; Samsung's build quality, support and OS fragmentation you'll be stuck with for the entire life of one of its phones.

Personally, the only Android phone I'd buy with all options open is the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus (which I did). The camera's bad, but it's pure, quickly updated Android under your control. Not Samsung's, not your carrier's. Yours.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I appreciate your insight. I am just taking all the info in. I know, it seems odd doesn't it how I was considering Samsung. The 5's screen is deceiving (to me anyways). It appears long and narrow but it is only a hair bigger, so to speak. The icons are all the same size and eventually, I will need glasses by using it so much. The 5 just simply looks weird to me. It has no girth lol.

The hardware on the G3 is very good, nobody can dismiss this. Is it the best phone out there? I don't think we can say that about any device. I believe I will stay with the 5 but I will see how these issues with the scratches et al play out. I have 15 days to return the phone if I am not happy with it (after I get it) and if I keep on getting a replacement 5 with scratches (assuming I will be affected) I may have to ditch Apple and go for the Samsung 3.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Here are my thoughts:

First, the good.

1. I like the way the new iPhone 5 looks. Especially in black.
    2. It was never too late to fix that screen aspect ratio. Android had it right from the beginning.
    3. That new processor is very fast.
    4. Aluminum back helps takes care of the cracks that occur on the backside if the phone is dropped.

The bad.

1. I don't find iOS6 to be anything breathtakingly new. Still looks same old, same old..
    2. Apple Maps is truly bad. It has become the joke of the Internet. If I were Apple I won't take it as a joke though, as its a matter of time for me that these maps might cause an accident that can seriously harm or kill someone.
    3. The anodize on aluminum seems like something I have seen with HTC phones. Granted I am familiar the problems this system can bring, as it can be prone to tiny chips on the bezel.
    4. Another proprietary connector that is no better than any standard micro USB connector in the market.

Granted, I have one personal rule when it comes to smartphones and that is I would only recommend getting a device with a removable battery. Why? Its not about battery life or having an extra battery in the pocket. Its about tying your phone's existence to the dangers of a defective or dying battery. I have seen battery failures, like bloating or warping batteries. Your battery efficiency is initially down, then goes up after use, then reaches a peak and subsequently declines much after. If your phone has a removable battery, get the battery replaced, and the phone feels like its got its old charge back.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    The external battery and external SD card is a big thing for me. I just like loading specialized content on my memory card when I want to. It gives me a lot of versatility and freedom. Carrying an extra battery around ensures you don't have to worry about charging when you're out and about.

On another note, my carrier a few weeks ago reduced the price of the Galaxy 3 to $99 with contract which is a great deal. Just today, the carrier dropped the price to $0.00

Feedback Score
    according to me i phone is the best phone as compared to samsung galaxy s 3. I phone is the more easy to use and have more functions.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    It's undeniable that the iPhone is the easiest smartphone out there to use. Is it the best? I believe there is NO best phone out there. I don't even think one can measure "best".

Feedback Score
    I'm just talking in general. To be very honest i also really don't know which is the best phone in the world.

Feedback Score
    The Iphone 5 really should have at least a 4.3 or even 4.5 inch screen IMO.

It looks so tiny-epecially after all the hype.

Great engineering aside-it's too small to be a big upgrade.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertkoa View Post
    The Iphone 5 really should have at least a 4.3 or even 4.5 inch screen IMO.

It looks so tiny-epecially after all the hype.

Great engineering aside-it's too small to be a big upgrade.
    Having owned an iPhone 5 for a few weeks now, I'd disagree -- the 4-inch screen could stand to be a bit bigger (mostly wider for typing), but I wouldn't call it a small upgrade. You do feel the extra breathing room.

Not to mention that it's overall faster than the Galaxy S III and has a better rear camera... and can be properly used one-handed by folks with normal-sized hands. Seriously, my Galaxy Nexus feels compact next to the GS3, and the screen is only 0.15 inches smaller.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    I won't call it faster than the quadcore S3 (I am getting over 1700s in Geekbench with ICS). The Qualcomm S3, maybe yes. Better rear camera? Questionable given the purple lens flare. Both Apple and Samsung uses the same Sony sensors, so it becomes a matter of the lens and the app preprocessing.

I would call the IPhone 5 a significant upgrade over the iPhone 4S in terms of hardware, in the same manner the Galaxy S3 is a significant upgrade over the Galaxy S2. However in terms of software, Ice Cream Sandwich is a much bigger jump over Gingerbread than iOS 6 is over iOS 5, and although the S2 also gets Ice Cream Sandwich, there is also another big jump in the way Touchwiz 4 looks over Touchwiz 3. The S2 gets the OS upgrade, but still with the old Touchwiz with a few changes.

I have no problems tweeting (yes tweeting, and Google Plussing) one hand with my Galaxy S3 using my left hand, while my right hand is picking noodles in my favorite Japanese ramen shop. I do this all the time

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I won't call it faster than the quadcore S3 (I am getting over 1700s in Geekbench with ICS). The Qualcomm S3, maybe yes. Better rear camera? Questionable given the purple lens flare. Both Apple and Samsung uses the same Sony sensors, so it becomes a matter of the lens and the app preprocessing.

I would call the IPhone 5 a significant upgrade over the iPhone 4S in terms of hardware, in the same manner the Galaxy S3 is a significant upgrade over the Galaxy S2. However in terms of software, Ice Cream Sandwich is a much bigger jump over Gingerbread than iOS 6 is over iOS 5, and although the S2 also gets Ice Cream Sandwich, there is also another big jump in the way Touchwiz 4 looks over Touchwiz 3. The S2 gets the OS upgrade, but still with the old Touchwiz with a few changes.

I have no problems tweeting (yes tweeting, and Google Plussing) one hand with my Galaxy S3 using my left hand, while my right hand is picking noodles in my favorite Japanese ramen shop. I do this all the time
    Keep in mind that Geekbench is one part of the equation... I'm thinking also browser tests, where the iPhone is the champion (it even beats Intel-based phones that are supposed to excel in JavaScript). And you do notice it in day-to-day use. And of course, the GS3 can't even touch the iPhone 5 in games or other intensive 3D.

The purple flare I've only had happen once (admittedly once too many, but just once). However, it's most definitely not the same sensor as in the GS3. Engadget conducted a low-light test while it was in Finland and found that the GS3 was the worst of four modern flagships (Lumia 920, iPhone 5, One X, GS3) at handling low-light photography. The iPhone 5's camera jumped from ISO 800 in the 4S to ISO 3,200, and it's much closer to the Lumia 920's ultra-sensitive performance; the One X is only just usable, and the GS3 falls apart.

On the OS front, I'd agree that ICS was a bigger relative jump, although iOS 6 has a few features ICS doesn't (a natural language voice system, for example). The maps issue is a sore point, although I've been doing fine with Google Maps on the web in a pinch.

The hand issue... well, let's put it this way: I know some people who are fine with it, like you, but I also know a lot of people who find the GS3 almost unusable one-handed (including myself). It gives the impression that Samsung pushed a bit too far and doesn't really have anywhere to go from here. Which probably has some of the company's marketers and engineers crying, as Samsung has made bigger-screens-at-all-costs a primary selling point.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    I think when it comes to Javascript, this relies more on the browser. Lets not rely on the system browser, but lets use Chrome on the Galaxy S3 and Chrome on the iPhone 5, and you will find the score on the Galaxy S3 is much faster than on the iPhone 5.

As far as Intel goes, I can get 800 to 900 figures on IE9 on a netbook with a 1.2GHz Atom N450, which is a single core. That is a bit faster than the iPhone 5 on its system browser. On Chrome however, it goes to the 1200 figures. The Atom chips used on the phones are still single core, but they can run up to 2GHz.

Sensor is only one factor with low light photography. The other is the camera lens aperture. That makes a huge difference.

The S3 does have S voice and in ICS mode, Google Voice Search. Since the Jellybean update to the S3 is gradually coming out already, that also means it will be getting Google Now. I never really found natural voice interfaces to be that important. What I find interesting on ICS, is the battery usage and mobile data charts that can be created by the OS, as well as a lockscreen that you can jump to the camera, text app, email, phone directly by moving the ring. I also like the very useful small details on Touchwiz like being able to turn on and off your wifi, GPS. sound, power savings, Bluetooth and driving mode right from the notification screen.

I should "note" that the Galaxy Note is amazingly popular with women. Women don't strike me with having big huge hands, do they?

I do find that once you are used to a big phone, its really hard to look at a tinier screen, be it with your Facebook feed, your Twitter feed, with Flipboard, your email time line, etc,. Playing games, its definitely a plus to have a bigger screen. While I think being able to wrap your hands around the phone seems handy if you plan on using your phone as a phone, the more you use it as a mobile computer, the more it favors having a big screen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast