Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy 3

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I think when it comes to Javascript, this relies more on the browser. Lets not rely on the system browser, but lets use Chrome on the Galaxy S3 and Chrome on the iPhone 5, and you will find the score on the Galaxy S3 is much faster than on the iPhone 5.

As far as Intel goes, I can get 800 to 900 figures on IE9 on a netbook with a 1.2GHz Atom N450, which is a single core. That is a bit faster than the iPhone 5 on its system browser. On Chrome however, it goes to the 1200 figures. The Atom chips used on the phones are still single core, but they can run up to 2GHz.
    Let's not, because you want to use the best browser available on each platform, right? Chrome on iOS is slower than Safari, and they're both using WebKit, so it's not as though there will be fundamental differences in compatibility. In which case, the iPhone 5 wins. Sorry.

Intel chips heavily favor JavaScript, which is why you'll see a RAZR i come close or pull slightly ahead of an iPhone 5 in a few browser tests, even though it loses soundly just about everywhere else.

Sensor is only one factor with low light photography. The other is the camera lens aperture. That makes a huge difference.
    Yep, and the iPhone 5 has an f/2.4 lens to the GS3's f/2.6, so the iPhone 5 has both a better sensor and a better lens for this kind of photography.

The S3 does have S voice and in ICS mode, Google Voice Search. Since the Jellybean update to the S3 is gradually coming out already, that also means it will be getting Google Now. I never really found natural voice interfaces to be that important. What I find interesting on ICS, is the battery usage and mobile data charts that can be created by the OS, as well as a lockscreen that you can jump to the camera, text app, email, phone directly by moving the ring. I also like the very useful small details on Touchwiz like being able to turn on and off your wifi, GPS. sound, power savings, Bluetooth and driving mode right from the notification screen.
    S Voice is... terrible. You just can't question that. I've had chances to compare it side-by-side with Siri, and it's both less accurate to start with (it makes Siri look precise by comparison) and less likely to deliver a direct answer. Not to mention very unintuitive: try to set a timer and it asks you to... double-check the timer. You've wasted a minute of that 10-minute timer just to confirm the timer! I like using Siri, even over Google Now's voice search, because it really does save some time when you're setting timers and does things Google doesn't (reminders, for example).

I do like the Android shortcut rings on a few devices (stock Android, Sense, TouchWiz, Huawei's UI) as well as the shortcuts to quick settings. Precise battery and data usage are nice too, although I honestly don't find myself checking either when I'm on my GNex; they're more for when something goes wrong or if you know you're likely to run into a cap.

I should "note" that the Galaxy Note is amazingly popular with women. Women don't strike me with having big huge hands, do they?

I do find that once you are used to a big phone, its really hard to look at a tinier screen, be it with your Facebook feed, your Twitter feed, with Flipboard, your email time line, etc,. Playing games, its definitely a plus to have a bigger screen. While I think being able to wrap your hands around the phone seems handy if you plan on using your phone as a phone, the more you use it as a mobile computer, the more it favors having a big screen.
    We'd... need more scientific observations on the gender predisposition. I remember showing the original Galaxy Note to female friends, and every one to a fault said it was far too big. More recently, a female friend bought a GS3 and regrets it for the big screen.

I alternate between my iPhone 5 and GNex quite frequently, and I don't have any trouble adapting -- personally, Flipboard feels far better-suited to tablets than phones, and this is after seeing it on the GS3 and my GNex. It's in e-mail where there's an advantage, although I'd note that a big hiccup with Gmail (lack of pinch-to-zoom on HTML email) isn't being fixed until a future update... and I like Apple's inclusion of a pull-to-refresh with iOS 6.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelian View Post
    Let's not, because you want to use the best browser available on each platform, right? Chrome on iOS is slower than Safari, and they're both using WebKit, so it's not as though there will be fundamental differences in compatibility. In which case, the iPhone 5 wins. Sorry.
    There is quite a difference in compatibility actually. Chrome scores much higher than Safari on HTML5 compatibility tests. Chrome is also more secure than Safari, as Safari is often the first to fall down in hacking contests. Chrome puts each individual page as a distinct separate process, which the operating system can recognize as a true thread, whereas with other browsers, the operating system can only see the browser as one main process, and incapable of recognizing each page as a distinct process. By doing so, Chrome sandboxes each web process on the hardware level. That makes Chrome somewhat like a semi-OS.

Personally I use Dolphin browser with Jetpack. I get 497 out of 500 in the HTML5 test at HTML5test.com. That seriously is the highest of any browser in the world, desktop included.

Intel chips heavily favor JavaScript, which is why you'll see a RAZR i come close or pull slightly ahead of an iPhone 5 in a few browser tests, even though it loses soundly just about everywhere els
    Javascript is a heavily one threaded operation, sometimes two threads. It does not favor multi cores. The Intel chip on the RAZR i is only a single core.

S Voice is... terrible. You just can't question that. I've had chances to compare it side-by-side with Siri, and it's both less accurate to start with (it makes Siri look precise by comparison) and less likely to deliver a direct answer. Not to mention very unintuitive: try to set a timer and it asks you to... double-check the timer. You've wasted a minute of that 10-minute timer just to confirm the timer! I like using Siri, even over Google Now's voice search, because it really does save some time when you're setting timers and does things Google doesn't (reminders, for example).
    Siri is terrible on its own right. Google Now simply kicks its ***. Even Google Voice Search does.

We'd... need more scientific observations on the gender predisposition. I remember showing the original Galaxy Note to female friends, and every one to a fault said it was far too big. More recently, a female friend bought a GS3 and regrets it for the big screen.
    It is fair to say, many people have observed why women love the Note. Check Howard's review on the Note 2. My daughter bought herself a Note. Her girlfriends are using Notes too.

You need to check Phone Dog's long term review of the Note and the Note 2 on YouTube and on their website. He often sites the initial feeling that the Note is too big, but it disappears after a while, replaced with the feeling that the screen size becomes indispensable. He only has complains about the Note not fitting properly on jeans. But "note", women put their Notes on their purses.

I alternate between my iPhone 5 and GNex quite frequently, and I don't have any trouble adapting -- personally, Flipboard feels far better-suited to tablets than phones, and this is after seeing it on the GS3 and my GNex. It's in e-mail where there's an advantage, although I'd note that a big hiccup with Gmail (lack of pinch-to-zoom on HTML email) isn't being fixed until a future update... and I like Apple's inclusion of a pull-to-refresh with iOS 6.
    Flipboard is far too big, on its current form, even on the Nexus 7. It perfectly shines on the GS3.

Not a problem on the GS3 and especially with HTC phones. You can set up GMail account with the bundled email app as well, and at least, I know the one on the HTCs have pinch to zoom. Personally I also use an HTC phone for my business phone, their built in email and messaging apps are better and looks nicer than anything I have seen, including Apple, RIM and Samsung.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using HowardForums
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    Based in my opinion, you should go with S3
    ”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    All for sale/trade threads must be posted in the proper forum. Thanks!
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    iPhone 5/ Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    As someone who uses both of these phones on a daily basis, I can confidently say that I would choose the Galaxy S3 over the iPhone.

I love how the iPhone 5 looks, ascetically I believe it wins between the two of them, I think the Galaxy's new look is horrible and much rather the S2 HD LTE look.

In terms of the abilities of the phone I have to give it to the android. If it doesn't come already built in there really is an app for it. As well with Android owning 72% of the mobile market the the choice of apps is ridicuously good on Android, I've found that the iPhone App Store is lacking and is in a huge visual overhaul. I find it unpleasing to use and generally look on Google before I go to the app store to see if they have it and how much it costs.

Battery life: I've noticed the SGS3 wins here as well, which is not surprising. The battery is much larger compared to the iPhone 5. It could be due to some signal issues which I will address next.

Signal: Over the course of the past month or so I have been vigorously testing my signal and the effects it has on battery life.
    I find I get better signal EVERYWHERE with the SGS3 as opposed to the iPhone5. This is detrimental to the overall battery life of the phone as well so I have to give it to the SGS3.

Call Quality: In terms of call quality, the iPhone5 is quite clear however I find it to be a tad too quiet. The Galaxy S3 is nice and loud as well as clear. I'll say they tie here because although the iPhone5 is quiet I can still clearly understand and maintain a conversation.

OS: I love that Apple is simple to use(General populous) and doesn't really change. It's a smartphone that generally does what you want it to. I like to say that You learn the iPhone whereas an Android learns you. What I mean by this is, the ability to completely change the Android OS to your liking and tweak it to work how you like is possible, without even having to root your device. I love this aspect. I find myself always playing around with the Galaxy S3 because I am able to play around with it. It never becomes boring because it's constantly changing, the iPhone is just the iPhone.

I guess at the end of the day it's really dependent on your comfort level. I use the iPhone as my daily driver/work phone and I use the Galaxy S3 as a phone as well as entertainment device. One thing I can give to the iPhone and Apple in general is the Applecare+
    Regardless of if they send you a brandnew phone or a "like-new" phone it's still better than paying $799.
    The fact that you can do it twice in two years is brilliant and I wish Samsung offered something similar.

Both phones are great. Both phones were more of an incremental update for both parent companies, overall I was disappointed that they were both more so an evolutionary as opposed to be revolutionary.

As some backstory. I've been using android and iOS since 2007. I was jailbreaking iphones and exploring android since the early stages of both. I've had the [dis]pleasure of dealing with the Galaxy S1 (horrible) and the great pleasure of dealing with the galaxy S2/HD/3 and for iPhone the first to 3G and then 4S to 5.

Hopefully my fragmented rambling will make sense to someone and allow them to choose the best phone for them

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Re: iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy 3

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderspear View Post
    according to me i phone is the best phone as compared to samsung galaxy s 3. I phone is the more easy to use and have more functions.
    Im curious what "more functions" iPhone has over Android? Please share.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy 3

There is some good discussion in this topic. Web it comes down to it, there's software and hardware aspects. I recently had the pleasure of winning a sgs3 and I have an iPhone 5 so I got a chance to use both side by side. What I found was that I really do like the customizability of android, even with touchwiz. You can cater the phone to your liking much easier than with iPhone unless you jailbreak (which of course there is no jb for the 5 currently). And google solutions on android are far superior so that for me was another huge plus (google maps as a GPS app with turn by turn? Just wow).

However I do think the screen is too big. This is really down to personal preference and my preference is the smaller slimmer lighter. Granted the thickness and weight isn't really significantly different. One thing the iPhone really has going for it is the screen quality. While the sgs3 is decent and the amoled produces deep blacks, the color accuracy has been documented as being much worse than the iPhone. In fact the iPhone 5 has the most accurate screen of any phone ever designed thus far. Check out anandtech review for details. The images on the iPhone 5 definitely appear truer to life and that is an important factor.

They are both solid phones but the iPhone 5 is also more powerful according to most performance reviews. Its resale value is also significantly better if that's a factor.

Feedback Score
    Everything else I have read on the Galaxy S3 says it has 2 Gb of ram, but I suppose that's just the US version

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score

The Korean S3 "alpha" version has 2Gb of RAM but with 1.6Ghz quad core Exynos. These phones are literally Note 2 internals on S3 bodies.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Iphone 5 is just another horrible attempt to add another phone on the market under apple's name. Absolutely no innovation in any of their products SMH.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by funderburk5 View Post
    Iphone 5 is just another horrible attempt to add another phone on the market under apple's name. Absolutely no innovation in any of their products SMH.
    Unfortunately, Apple's sales of the iPhone 5 don't reflect that.

Device(s)
    HTC Sensation XE
    Feedback Score
    The Fact is the Apple iPhone 5 din make me go crazy..but I will never be a Samsung Fan..!!

Feedback Score

Go with the galaxy S III since it can do all that the iphone 5 can and more.

It's a stable and reliable phone and this is coming from someone that HATED samsung phones for years.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I've recommended the G3 to others over the 5 for a few reasons, size was the biggest. However, since I own a true Android device (Nexus 7), I am quite disappointed with the lag the Nexus has. There is also a few other issues like the pull down "whatchamaycallit" menu where you have your quick settings randomly won't pull down. plus the apps do populate in the background even with background data off.

Feedback Score
    thanks for sharing this useful infO i really like it
    Try this new app

VMS

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/vms/id378080758?mt=8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2